968 Forum 1992-1995

Cheap 968 coupe on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Cheap 968 coupe on ebay

Here is an interesting "cheap" coupe on eBay. What makes it interesting from a production standpoint is the interior. You don't see the full cloth script very often. Matter a fact, this car is 1 of 2 (out of all 4,242 NA 968s) with the full cloth in classic grey.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-968-...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and a slate grey, 6 speed to boot. Nice combo for sure
Old 01-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Nice exterior color.

I have no idea why people bid on ebay auctions before the last seconds. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I've been watching Ferrari's lately and a 1990 348 finished last night for $30K....but the high bidder could of gotten it for about $28K if he didn't keep fighting back and forth $100 punches during the last two days.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

$4150 is just the current bid. It will be interesting to see what it ends up going for.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:37 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Then there's this one, setting new standards for misleading descriptions. First part of ad spec lists engine as a 2.5L 4cyl, but then the verbal description by the dealer lists it as. "Highway driving is a breeze with the strong running 3.3 Liter Turbocharged 6-Cyl engine under the hood."

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...C=BYSpdB300dyb

Cheers
Mikey
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo

I have no idea why people bid on ebay auctions before the last seconds. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
It is to avoid a biddling war with another buyer. As we know from watching "traditional" model auctions, two bidders can get into a passionate bidding war at the end of an auction, both wanting the item, not willing to back down and let the other guy win. This is good for the seller. With the eBay model, this confrontation is not allowed to occur as the clock factor is introduced. Once I've been outbid with 15 seconds left on the auction I have no time to reconsider whether I want to increase my bid because the clock just ran down. The passion factor has been eliminated.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
It is to avoid a biddling war with another buyer. As we know from watching "traditional" model auctions, two bidders can get into a passionate bidding war at the end of an auction, both wanting the item, not willing to back down and let the other guy win. This is good for the seller. With the eBay model, this confrontation is not allowed to occur as the clock factor is introduced. Once I've been outbid with 15 seconds left on the auction I have no time to reconsider whether I want to increase my bid because the clock just ran down. The passion factor has been eliminated.
Which is precisely why the excellent auction site gunbroker.com tosses the stoopid eBay model in favor of the "15 minute rule". This makes it a true auction, letting the bidding run it's natural course. The clock runs down to the end, but any bidding within the last 15 min window extends the clock out to 15 mins again. So no "sniping" can occur, any late bids trying to snipe just pushes the clock back out to 15 mins so everyone interested can still have time to get a bid in. Sort of the "Going Once, Going Twice, Sold." If no more bids come in during the 15mins, item sells. Much better model IMO.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
MLB968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually in my view this makes the problem worse. By problem I mean paying more than would otherwise be necessary.

I think what Paul is saying is bidding more than once or twice before the final seconds of an auction is unwise because you're probably just bidding against yourself, and unnecessarily raising the price.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MLB968
Actually in my view this makes the problem worse. By problem I mean paying more than would otherwise be necessary.

I think what Paul is saying is bidding more than once or twice before the final seconds of an auction is unwise because you're probably just bidding against yourself, and unnecessarily raising the price.
You're not correct in how Ebay works. I can bid on an item as many times as I want, raising my own maximum bid price to whatever I feel comfortable with. But the actual price to be paid doesn't move until someone else makes a bid, at which point eBay instantly applies my highest bid price to either keep me in the lead, or if the new bidder's price is higher than my max, the price jumps to the next increment above my max bid. But even that price may or may not be that new bidder's max. Ebay just increments far enough to keep that person in the lead.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MLB968
That can't happen with eBay. You can raise your bid as high as you want but the eBay automation will only bid one increment higher for you then the next highest bidder that is not you. For example, I bid $1000 but the next highest bidder that is not me only bids $100, then I would only bod $101. Even if I was to raise my highest bid to $2000 I would still only pay $101 as that is still one increment higher then the next highest bidder.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quick968
Cheers
Mikey
Hey Mikey, (I'll bet you get that all the time )

What is that 968 in your avatar? I know they only made one of those for North America (Riviera Blue 968 coupe) and the owner of that one car lives in CA.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Paul was saying what I've thought all along - people who *don't* wait until the last few seconds on eBay to bid are just creating an opportunity to get into a bidding war. With eBay, sniping is the name of the game. You make your highest bid in the last few seconds, and the trade off is that by doing so you give up any chance of raising it if you're not the highest.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting seats, that interior though needs some TLC.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

What is that 968 in your avatar? I know they only made one of those for North America (Riviera Blue 968 coupe) and the owner of that one car lives in CA.

Jeff
That avatar is my 95' Riviera Blue Club Sport that I prepped for F stock in PCA Club Racing. I bought it from Manfred Freisenger in Germany and brought it over. It had the base cloth seats, no track prep whatsoever beyond M030/220; so I added Cobra Suzuka's, and a Stable Energies cage, harnesses etc. Did everything myself. At the time, 2002-ish, mine was the only CS in the US, and I had a helluva time getting PCA Club Racing to not put me in a GT class or E stock with the Firehawk cars. I had to prove I had nothing more than an M030 968, but I had to add weight to bring me up to spec. Anyway, I drove the car for almost 2 years as a DE Instructor for the 3 central Texas regions but ended up selling it to Rich Tillotsen in Florida. He raced in PCA for 3 seasons and managed a few podiums. He then sold it to I believe someone in Canada. I'd REALLY like to find out who and try to buy it back, I should have NEVER sold it.

I've got lot's more pics of me in it at various Texas tracks.

Cheers
Mikey

Last edited by quick968; 01-21-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff
Jeff...even you can see that clear side marker on the fender...you're better than that!

Quick Reply: Cheap 968 coupe on ebay