968 Forum 1992-1995

968 turbo S for sale for $120k on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:33 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I think one of you true believers should pony up and write the check. Is it better than a 951 Turbo S? Maybe. Is it TEN times better than a 951 Turbo S? Prove me wrong, write the check. Doesn't change the fact that when it left Porsche it was a plain Jane 968 coupe. Sellers don't set prices, buyers set prices. I learned that long ago in the housing market.
I wrote one yrs ago if that matters. I have had serious offers with checks ready in similar ball park but I have declined. Take it what what it's worth.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:36 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I happen to agree with this. Sadly, we aren't talking about a 968 Turbo. We are talking about a 968 with a 951 turbo engine and trans added. There are 14 actual 968 Turbo S, and I think 4 968 turbo RS. If we were talking about a real 968 Turbo S, I could see the +$100k price. So, I don't disagree that the two markets are different. But again - we don't have a 968 turbo S, we have a base 968 highly modified.
I don't think you really understand this conversion if you are calling it a 968 with a 951 turbo engine and transmission. Please re-read the build again.

It is a 968 with turbo S mods using factory parts. That is what sets this build apart. Those are very expensive, specialized parts that are no longer available.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:46 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Since original cars seem to change hands every once in a blue moon it's also hard to say what they are worth. We also can't really say that this "market" is particularly open to anyone... Considering the rarity of originals, I do believe that a clean and well-built replica should command a premium over a super low mileage, fully stock & unmolested NA 968 or late model 951. I see no reason why such replicas should not sell for at least the same as fully rebuilt 951 Cup cars, which seems to be between $30k and $50k. Maybe even more for cars using original block and/or transmission parts.
Thom, most of these cars will end up in Europe. Just a good, clean low mileage car would command an extra $10k over US market. Add to that all the unobtainium goodies. Parts alone in this car are worth what it sold for at the auction. This is a very specialized market. If someone wants the real deal, they can either hope that they find one or pony up for such a replica. You have watched this market for yrs and one of the few that has actually taken a ride in a real one.

The seller is getting the greatest audience by posting it on EBay, which is a great way to start.

There are people out there, even in our good old US that want something different. 5 yrs ago people would have laughed at the concept of Singer cars. A $250k plus older 911, are you kidding me! Last I checked, they are booked for yrs.

This car can run with a 996/997 turbo all day long and stand out in a crowd of 911's. That means something to a few people.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW I drove the Speed Yellow replica of a friend some months ago, it's got a full factory M44/60 engine with the RS' K27/11 turbo. He did a great job building it and it is VERY nice, with the correct wheels, RS hood, etc.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
FWIW I drove the Speed Yellow replica of a friend some months ago, it's got a full factory M44/60 engine with the RS' K27/11 turbo. He did a great job building it and it is VERY nice, with the correct wheels, RS hood, etc.
Nice, please share your impressions when you can. I used to run a k27/11 and remember it hits hard! It was a 7200 series turbo with oil cooling only. That is how I purchased my car.

Is it oil cooled only or both oil and water cooled?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Fejjj, no it's a replica using all factory parts except for a few.

It has all the factory body parts and drivetrain.

Cool.

What are rwhp and torque numbers?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

I'll add a couple of additional comments to the conversation:

The car in question had it's interior changed. When new it had the marble gray/black interior and was the later 993 style. Now it has the earlier 968 sport seats and it says they are heated. They changed out the door panels and carpets too and probably the rear seat.

A original factory 968 RS Turbo sold for almost $350K at the same auction earlier this year.

Having the special engine and related parts is almost as good as having the body with the correct numbers as they are both impossible to find.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fejjj
Cool.

What are rwhp and torque numbers?
Approx 400hp/400tq @rear wheels at 15.5 psi.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 AM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a small question for the guys in the know. Is it possible to still get the air box and the intercooler outlet pc. That mates to the hood? Or are those NLA as well?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Certainly the last 6 years in the RE market makes my point. Also, RE is not a commodity by the general definition. By it's very name "Real Estate", it is not a good, and it is not interchangeable or interdependent of origination(Kansas wheat is = to Iowa wheat) so an acre of Malibu CA RE is not the same as an acre of W TX RE.

Neither can the 968 be considered a commodity, so any rules based on commodity trading are invalid. This is kind of precisely my point. If a 968 is a 968 is a 968, then they should all be worth the same exact value. As we know, commditization of a market leads to uniformity, and this case is an example of wild non-uniformity.
ok we will agree to disagree. Forget the "commodity" term for either, call it what you'd like. I'll stake my 30+ yrs in real estate on the fact that there are absolutely times in real estate markets(or any item that is bought & sold), where the buyer most certainly does not set the price, the seller does. At least if that buyer is serious about obtaining that product. You might not have seen it in your specific market area over the past 6 yrs, but that doesn't mean its not so. Its really as simple as supply and demand, whatever is being sold, real estate or 968s. If you have something that is in short supply and there is enough demand for it, then a buyer certainly is not going to be the one who sets the price. That is why that acre in Malibu will sell for much more than that acre in West TX. Lots of acres in West TX, with average demand; not so many acres in Malibu, CA, & many want to have it. The competition is with the other available product offering similar utility, features, etc. Thus the acre in West TX is not competing directly with the acre in Malibu, CA.

New construction is an easy example. Builders in markets with a shortage of enough competing new construction in that market raise their prices based upon the increasing demand for their product in light of the shortage of competing supply. A buyer is not going to come in & win the argument that you sold the same plan 6 mos earlier for $10k less. The builder will simply move on to the next buyer waiting in line. And the buyer will not have the Law of Substitution available to go buy a similar product for that $10k less because any other builder in that market is experiencing that same strong demand due to lack of supply at that time, so they are also raising their prices. Its fluid and changes with time & the influence of many economic factors, and broad statistics don't always correlate. Specific markets might have a reality that is not the same as other markets. If the shortage lasts long enough, ten new subdivisions pop up to get in on the frenzy & soon pricing will meet an equilibrium with the supply vs demand. Sometimes it can end up going the other direction & oversupply then drives prices down. With an item that is no longer being made, there is no option to have an original except to either find one available, or to attempt to get the next best thing. Perhaps that is what is influencing this 968 Turbo Clone in commanding the high prices. I wouldn't pay it, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't who wants a very nice 968 Turbo.

GTS 928s could be another example. Due to limited supply, a low mileage 5 spd will not be bought by someone who attempts to dictate to the seller what the price will be. Just ask Michael Willhoit. Of course, that doesn't mean that he can ask $300k & expect to get it. It has to be within the realm of reality in relation to the next most comparable product that is available to the buyer. Ammo is another example within the past year. Shortages & other factors resulted in that $20 box of .22 ammo go to 4-5 times that amount at times. Now as supply is increasing to meet the level of demand, you can find it fairly regularly in the private sector for $40. Needless to say I haven't bought any ammo in the past year!

Last edited by MGW-Fla; 12-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Good stuff Mel. Applies to speed yellow 968s as well!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Approx 400hp/400tq @rear wheels at 15.5 psi.
damn, and hardly even breaking a sweat!

why couldn't the 3.0 been the base engine since 1981 or whatever.

Very little information on the conversion. I feel good knowing my car has many more factory turbo S parts

Raj,

I saw an expanded write-up on this one a couple of years ago.

and if memory serves - didn't they get a good number of factory parts?

oh, and someday i'll rent this car and....
Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know what kind of diffuser this is or where to get it? Or is it a custom part?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:01 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
A original factory 968 RS Turbo sold for almost $350K at the same auction earlier this year.

Having the special engine and related parts is almost as good as having the body with the correct numbers as they are both impossible to find.
Ding-ding-ding-ding! winner, pay the table.

Almost. An adverb indicating close, or like or similar to the original. Almost scores in hand grenades and horseshoes. Collector cars? no, sorry.

But, I see that once again I'm in the small minority among the True Believers. An outlier, a skeptic, a frog in the punchbowl, an artfact, disbeliever, monopole, intransigent, and one who questions authority. I hope I'm wrong and it brings asking price today and someone drives off with it after shelling out +$100 large. Hope and change, hope and change.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch944

Do you know what kind of diffuser this is or where to get it? Or is it a custom part?
That whole car is for sale in Conroe TX, just down the street from me. The price is substantially less than $120,000 USD.

Quick Reply: 968 turbo S for sale for $120k on Ebay