Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Cabriolet Pricing Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on my experience, I find it very hard to believe that any 968 could sell for much over $10K. Mine is a desirable color, in nice overall shape, and I went to great pains to write a very complete, detailed ad with as may pictures as Autotrader allowed (I also advertised it in Craigslist), and the sound of crickets was deafening. Months went by with no calls, until someone finally called with an offer of $7K, which wasn't much more than half my (which I now realize was ridiculous) initial asking price. In hindsight, $7K was not only reasonable, but probably generous. Two people finally looked at it, but neither one made an offer, so I gave up after about five months. It baffles me how people can have such wildly varying results selling the same car.

I view my 968 as a car that I'm going to end up keeping forever, thus the track car conversion. Heaven forbid if I ever get tired of it...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Doc,

Your comments here along with your 968 DD eval thread are kinda making you the "Debbie Downer" of this 968 forum. By all means, you can be a pessimist but allow others to think on the postive side. Visitors to this forum all love their cars and think of them as priceless!!!

Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Expect to pay from $13-20 for a well sorted car, with no issues and medium mileage. Get what you want, otherwise everytime you go drive it you might be disappointed. I would pay $20k for a very nice car provided the colors were to my liking. I would pay nothing if I didn't get the stuff I wanted.
I think there's a market for the $13-18k 968 car. Of course, it has to be in a racy color, have good options, and be presented well, but the 968 as getaway car is equivalent to the Boxter or even better in my opinion. It certainly has some more useful features like a nice size trunk, and kiddie seats if you need those(cabs excepted). I could spend $15k for a blue, yellow, red, or green cab with 17" wheels, maybe LSD, 6sp, medium miles and tan leather that was well documented. I'm not in that market, but I think it's justified.
I think Cloud 9 and Jeff are both kinda right. Most of the fleet tops around $9k in the market. Exceptional cars bring low to mid teens. That black one owner with 70k miles, new paint, doctor owned, no excuses, last model year, 17" wheels went for a premium. In this case the premium was about $5k.

There's been a green coupe with auto in Houston for sale for 5 months. I had it looked at and it's only asking $9k and won't move. There's evidence of maybe an engine fire, and the paint isn't that good. It's one of the cars that going to go for $6k some day wen the seller finally gets wise. However, that dark green with purple int and lots of options is $15k or better. But - you gotta have the goods to get the bucks.
Here's a great example;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-...#ht_500wt_1184

The car just needs a new top. Everything else looks to be in order, but it's having trouble getting $10k for it. Suppose the parts and labor for a new top are $1000. Why not do that, and get $12k or so out of it? I think this car is worth every penny of $12k with a new top if there's no other issues.
Jeff, my back is breaking here carrying water for the 968. Sure you got the right guy? My personal example is the outlier, and I said that. I also gave my performance op-ed about the DD aspects of the car, which had nothing to do with valuation. I'd love to see the market firm up for the 968, so imagine my surprise at your criticism vis-a-vis this thread.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeff968
Doc,

Your comments here along with your 968 DD eval thread are kinda making you the "Debbie Downer" of this 968 forum. By all means, you can be a pessimist but allow others to think on the postive side. Visitors to this forum all love their cars and think of them as priceless!!!

Thanks
Funny, based on my recent posts here, it seems like I should be in the running for that title. In all seriousness, I really like my 968. It was a fun street car, but as time went on, I drove it less and less on the street, and more and more on the track, so when I wasn't able to sell it (I was going to use the proceeds to buy or build an actual track car, but the reality that the car isn't worth the price of a decent set of wheels and tires put the kyboshes on that idea), so converting it to a track car was the logical choice for me. I haven't taken it to the track yet, but from the brief stints I've driven it on so far, I'm sure it's going to really annoy the drivers of much more expensive cars.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...0-on-ebay.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...car-today.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...placement.html

Yur killin me.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

YHBT
Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM
bzliteyear
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think similar to a (non-tract) house for sale, people try to put a "comparable" value or zillow estimate on it, but from my experience, a 968 rare enough that it is worth "what a buyer is willing to pay."

for me, having previously owned a 968, i appreciate the history as well as what a well-cared for one would be worth. therefore, if there's a super clean full-records immaculate condition one available, i think i would have no problem paying $15k+. the reason why i say $15k is that anything more than that, i think potential buyers may consider going w/ a nice boxster s(for similar $).
PL
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
YHBT
?????
Old 07-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bzliteyear
i think similar to a (non-tract) house for sale, people try to put a "comparable" value or zillow estimate on it, but from my experience, a 968 rare enough that it is worth "what a buyer is willing to pay."

for me, having previously owned a 968, i appreciate the history as well as what a well-cared for one would be worth. therefore, if there's a super clean full-records immaculate condition one available, i think i would have no problem paying $15k+. the reason why i say $15k is that anything more than that, i think potential buyers may consider going w/ a nice boxster s(for similar $).
PL
The problem is that even a very clean, low mileage car can, and probably does, have many thousands of dollars worth of issues just below the surface. Unless the previous owner(s) has/have replaced every rubber and consumable part, which would cost a small fortune, even the nicest 20-year-old car is likely to bring with it a boatload of expensive maintence. This is really not a knock against the 968 - unless it has some sort of historical signifance, or was owned and maintained by Jay Leno and his army of mechanics, I wouldn't pay over $10K for ANY 20-year-old car, period.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

after re-considering all the positions taken above I must make a retraction. i'm back to doom and gloom. Doc's provided the more accurate opinion. upon closer review, it seems the majority of the 968s for sale on Cars.com and Auto Trader reflect those owners in the somewhat-interested in selling category. as in, if I get my price. they're not motivated to sell for a "fair price" in any particular way. they're represent the few stragglers holding out.

so, once again, I'll move back to my previous position that when the cars finally sell, with the exception of the introduction of an extremely motivated buyer, looking for the LSD, M030, or ultra-low miles (like the red car included below w 14 k miles), or rare-color cars --- the rest of them probably move at the real price.

the car on the bottom sold for only 43% more than the 968 back in the '90s.... but it's quick-sale price reflects what real [enthusiasm for the brand + car appreciation] looks like.

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 968 Cabriolet Pricing Help