Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

rhs, if it helps I have a brand new original unit, boxed and ready to go. You are welcome to swing by and purchase it. I am by Princeton, NJ.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Lear35A
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhs63
Yes, thanks, these are the correct part numbers for the 968 and I already have a quote from Sunset for $562 plus shipping. Waiting for Safelite to do their research and tracking down the part, I made it clear that I only accept OEM. Wouldn't be surprised if I had to order myself, but we'll see.
That's the same price that Sunset charged me 9 months ago. I doubt you'll do better. They charged me $149.22 for the shipping to the Atlanta area. I'll bet that Safelite will say they can't get it.
I found an independent installer through a referral who really did a fantastic job. Even though he quoted a fixed price, he took his time to do it right. He really was working for his next referral from me. I liked that.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 AM
rhs63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
rhs, if it helps I have a brand new original unit, boxed and ready to go. You are welcome to swing by and purchase it. I am by Princeton, NJ.
Sounds good, that's only about a 75 mile trip from me, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 PM
rhs63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Finally got my replacement windshield installed by Safelite. It took forever to source an OEM unit with the green tint, apparently stock in the US is depleted. Porsche had to buy back a windshield from one of the two dealers that still had one in stock, so they could sell it to Safelite. They did a great installation job, looks absolutely factory, and the best thing is that Geico paid for everything, well over a $1000 with all the resourcing and shipping.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default OEM Windshield

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Raj,
Please PM me with a price and details.
Thanks,
Gene
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Gene, I think it might be best for me to hang on to it now. Considering the pains it takes to source a new unit. I might have a used unit in perfect condition available (if they can get it off the car without cracking it).
Old 09-23-2015, 03:06 AM
4kix66
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real fact is there hasn't been a factory windshield in the States for sale for over 5 years. The last one from the shelves at PCNA was stored in my garage until 3 years ago. I stockpiled it as I had broken a windshield in one of my 6 968's and searched for months. A friend at PCNA located two. I bought both and stockpiled one. I gave it up to a desperate friend in need about two years ago. One week later I broke a windshield. My replacement came from Safelite because it was totally hassle free and they installed it with 3 guys in my driveway. They painstakingly covered every surface of the car, took their time and respected the car they were working on in every possible way. At the time there were 6 windshields in Germany. How many would you guess there are now? And ask yourself this question. Who can make money selling 968 windshields? Or any part for that matter that does not come out of a wreck or have another application. If you have a 968 you should consider having two........or more. Anybody know where I can get a 57 Speedster bumper overrider or a chrome bumper for a 914-6? Same problem.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:46 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately your information is clearly dated. 968 windshields are still very much available through the Porsche parts system. I have replaced mine with one sourced and installed at my local dealership in the last few months.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:27 PM
4kix66
Banned

Default I stand correctedhttp://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/surrender.gif

I stand corrected. I was mystified by this info as I had been told that when I bought the final two from Atlanta that the only remaining windshields would be the six in Germany. When they were gone....good luck. I just called my dealer and was told that, indeed, Atlanta has windshields and they have a Porsche part number. The price is $666.96 plus delivery. And I quote, "When they are gone..thats it. Good luck."
FYI, they still don't have the overriders or the chrome bumpers. I guess there are more 968s than Speedsters and 914-6s. Thanks for the catch and going light on me. Does anybody have the overriders or the chrome bumpers? I will trade for a windshild or ten.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:36 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche announced a few years ago the Classic program which is dedicated to keeping the parts out there for our 968s:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...ic-philosophy/

Quick Reply: Cracked Windshield