Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

new to the forum - looking at picking up a 968 - have some newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Miami M3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the forum - looking at picking up a 968 - have some newb questions

hi guys, im new here and was looking to see if there were sticky type threads that would explain the common issues with 968s - perhaps the recommended service schedule, typical maintenance costs, failures - what to look for in a used 968, etc

can anyone point me in the right direction - or otherwise provide some advice?

im specifically looking at a 93 968 midnight blue/cashmere interior
117,000 miles

so far the owner emailed me with the following info

Body
Midnight blue with Cashmere Beige full leather interior. front seats need covered or Sparco replacement
OE Optional upgraded audio system with Clarion CD unit
Repainted by local Ford dealer 2 years ago & is always garaged
A/C is cold & never has been repaired.

Chassis
928 S4 front Brakes with stainless braided lines
17 inch Cup II wheels 7.5 front & 9 rear with proper offset. Very hard to find offset.
Like new Bridgestone RE-11 tires, 225/45/17 & 255/40/17
Ground control Koni racing coil over set (1 year old)
M030 sway bars front & rear (OE performance)
Lower suspension tie bar
Upper strut bar
corner balanced by German Specialties in Clearwater

Engine
RS Barn stage 1 chip
Air intake modification with K&n filter
Recent OE new, not rebuilt ($600) water pump and all belts
Recent cam chain and tensioner pads

it also has a ssk w/ momo ****

i've asked him for the VIN and service records which he will be providing me this week

i would like to hear what you guys think this car is worth given the above info and of course what i should be aware of in terms of service history and maintenance

thanks in advance

Russell
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

First welcome to the forum,your doing the rigth move by coming on here & asking questions before you buy, is it a Cab or Coupe.The + recent WP & all belts,very very important was the cam chain/tensioner & pads & it has been done.Seem to have lots of mods which could be consider a plus depending on the way you look at it.The minus will be the repaint which on a 968 could lower the price down.Hard to give you a price ,you will have to send us pics of the ext (all angle)/int & engine bay.One golden rule is that if you decide to buy you'll have to get a PPI (post purchase inspection) from an independant shop or mechanic who knows the 968 like the back of their hands.Btw you'll need all the records & receips for the work done (not words of mouth).Did he mention anything about the clutch being done lately? also ask him about any (pinion gear issues).Hope the infos given will help you buy one of the most enjoyable Porsche to drive around.If more infos needed don't be shy to Once you get the VIN send it here Jeff will give you all the infos needed about the car.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

i love the 968. the engine's cores are solid. and so is the cars' overall platform. the build quality and dependabilty was signficantly improved over the 944 and S2.... it might be the most enjoyable 4 cylinder you can drive.... i've had mine five years and driven it 94 k miles... i love my car and i can't imagine driving almost anything else... still, between professional repair shops, rennlist help, and do-it-yourself, dealer and discount part shops, and looking at all the records for my car, i've determined you can easily spend in the range of $35~45 K [or more] keeping them properly maintained and repaired for 250 k miles [once departing the dealer's lot].... if you drive one a few thousand miles per year, and spend most of the time shining and detailing it, that will be one thing. but, daily drive one for 100 k miles, and you'll get a good feel for the maintenance and repair bills.... when buying one, the difference between a well-sorted car and a basket case, may result from a combination of sitting and as little as 25~30 k miles of driving.... where the 968 fits between bargain used sports car and bonafide money pit — is for you to decide.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-19-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by ernie9468

The minus will be the repaint which on a 968 could lower the price....
i know i'm an *** but, these are not collectable cars... and while i hope they will be some day... nice cars they still are. but it's not a 993 Turbo S.... and like all the other nice cars in the real world, they should be cleaned, shined, polished, re-upholstered when needed—and driven.... and driver cars get doinked.....

i've yet to be shown evidence of a respray gumming up the works of a car that has [already deprecated so much] come resale time. and you won't convince me that an obscure, entry-level Porsche with faded paint, chips, gouges and scraches will ever be more desireable to take out driving or to a meet and greet than one that shines like it just came off the showroom floor—and receives endless compliments. now, i think people expect it: a shiny Porsche !!

if you're all caught up in collecting, cool. then build a man cave around it and start it once in a while.... but i think existentialist ownership should be reserved for the twenty factory turbo and the [replica] cars, Carrera GT's, 993s and P-cars from before the '80s.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-19-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Miami M3
AutoX

First welcome to the forum,your doing the rigth move by coming on here & asking questions before you buy, is it a Cab or Coupe.The + recent WP & all belts,very very important was the cam chain/tensioner & pads & it has been done.Seem to have lots of mods which could be consider a plus depending on the way you look at it.The minus will be the repaint which on a 968 could lower the price down.Hard to give you a price ,you will have to send us pics of the ext (all angle)/int & engine bay.One golden rule is that if you decide to buy you'll have to get a PPI (post purchase inspection) from an independant shop or mechanic who knows the 968 like the back of their hands.Btw you'll need all the records & receips for the work done (not words of mouth).Did he mention anything about the clutch being done lately? also ask him about any (pinion gear issues).Hope the infos given will help you buy one of the most enjoyable Porsche to drive around.If more infos needed don't be shy to Once you get the VIN send it here Jeff will give you all the infos needed about the car.
it's a 6spd coupe - will post the VIN once i get it - i have photos too - exterior looks very nice, interior (seats) need love - would likely replace them with sparcos - I know he bought the car in 2000 - my guess is that it's an original clutch (my M3 has 161k miles on an original clutch with no issues) - also, i think he told me there was no top engine work done

btw, what is/are pinion gear issues?

Originally Posted by odurandina
i love the 968. the engine's cores are solid. and so is the cars' overall platform. the build quality and dependabilty was signficanly improved over the 944 and S2.... it might be the most enjoyable 4 cylinder you can drive.... i've had mine five years and driven it 94 k miles... i love my car and i can't imagine driving almost anything else... still, between professional repair shops, rennlist help, and do-it-yourself, dealer and discount part shops, and looking at all the records for my car, i've determined you can easily spend in the range of $35~45 K [or more] keeping them properly maintained and repaired for 250 k miles [once departing the dealer's lot].... if you drive one a few thousand miles per year, and spend most of the time shining and detailing it, that will be one thing. but, daily drive one for 100 k miles, and you'll get a good feel for the maintenance and repair bills.... when buying one, the difference between a well-sorted car and a basket case, may result from a combination of sitting and as little as 25~30 k miles of driving.... where the 968 fits between bargain used sports car and bonafide money pit — is for you to decide.
not sure if i will daily drive - but certainly want to pick one up and also track it - im a bit concerned about the suspension (says ground control race coilovers) but i was reading on pelicanparts someone else had a GC on a 968 and was having a nightmare time with suspension tuning (springs were way too much or something)
my M3 is somewhat maintenance intensive, but it never fails - ive had it since 2005 and it screams at 8k rpm daily/track w/ 161k on the odo
im thinking i will likely sell the M3 after i pick up the 968
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

the chip will eliminate the annoyance of the limiter, when you accidentally punch it over 6,400... but you probably shouldn't get in the habit of going much past the factory redline, if at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Miami M3
AutoX

I'm still waiting for the VIN and service records for the coupe I was describing above - once I get it, I'll post it here along with photos

In the interim, I was also looking at this coupe on pelican parts - this car has about 40,000 less miles and bunch more mods -- but the price ($17k) seems on the high side - or am i not being reasonable?

also, i looked at the user name on pelican parts, and i found a thread where he was having some major difficulty sorting out the suspension at Sebring - it is unclear if he ever resolved that issue (seems like the spring rates on the GC coilover are too high)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ck-street.html

guys, let me know what you think
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
tamathumper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd expect to pay about $15,000 for a stock 968 with a few options in great condition and less than 50,000 miles. After that it goes up and down based on condition, options and mileage of course. I say that because I got my '93 6-speed cab about two years ago with 37,000 miles for $15,000, and I looked at a lot of cars all over the NorthEast for several years before I found it. It had a perfect dash, paint, interior, etc., but needed a top and plastic and rubber just get old so plan on replacing a bunch of that.

I consider it a positive to have every single question, problem, and resolution for my car on a forum. When I go to sell my car someday I'll actually print all my on-topic posts because they're better than service records. Yes, both on-topic posts...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Miami M3
AutoX

Once you get the VIN send it here Jeff will give you all the infos needed about the car.
i've got the vin WPOAA2965PS820837
who is jeff?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

That's me. I'm the advocate for the PCA 968 register and i also run the 968 registry. Given a VIN, I can tell you how a North American 968 compares to the full production run. I also have history on some cars.

As for that VIN, it is wrong. No such car. Could it be PS820237? A midnight blue coupe with a cashmere/black interior?

Jeff
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Miami M3
AutoX

Originally Posted by jeff968
That's me. I'm the advocate for the PCA 968 register and i also run the 968 registry. Given a VIN, I can tell you how a North American 968 compares to the full production run. I also have history on some cars.

As for that VIN, it is wrong. No such car. Could it be PS820237? A midnight blue coupe with a cashmere/black interior?

Jeff
yes, correct, its PS820237
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, if you are into production data at all here are the details of the car:

#826 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#177 of 605 1993 NA 968 coupes

1 of 220 F8 Midnight Blue coupes (most popular metallic color)
1 of 72 F8 Midnight Blue coupes paired with a cashmere/black interior

Factory options include F8 metallic paint, LC partial leather in cashmere, 418 body colored side molding, 437 full power driver's seat, 490 hi-fi sound with amps

I have not seen the car before. Good luck.
Jeff
Old 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Miami M3
AutoX

Originally Posted by jeff968
Well, if you are into production data at all here are the details of the car:

#826 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#177 of 605 1993 NA 968 coupes

1 of 220 F8 Midnight Blue coupes (most popular metallic color)
1 of 72 F8 Midnight Blue coupes paired with a cashmere/black interior

Factory options include F8 metallic paint, LC partial leather in cashmere, 418 body colored side molding, 437 full power driver's seat, 490 hi-fi sound with amps

I have not seen the car before. Good luck.
Jeff
thanks - what do you think it's worth given the condition/mileage/mods?

Quick Reply: new to the forum - looking at picking up a 968 - have some newb questions