Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suspension help

Picked up a set of Koni sports, front and rear. While I'm changing out the front struts I figure I might as well install new springs. I don't track the car and am just looking to tighten handling up a little over stock. Any recommendations on spring rates and a source ?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're using the Koni 8641-1414 Sport inserts into your 968 strut housings your spring choices are a bit more limited. You can use either:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Welt...spring-set.htm

or use:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Coil...rhk-nr-xdo.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
If you're using the Koni 8641-1414 Sport inserts into your 968 strut housings your spring choices are a bit more limited. You can use either:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Welt...spring-set.htm

or use:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Coil...rhk-nr-xdo.htm
Jason, I saw those on the web site, how do they compare to the stock springs as far as stiffness and ride quality? Any other input?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 50% to 70% increase in spring rate won't really hurt the ride, provided you're using fresh shocks. These cars were way under-sprung from the factory, in my opinion.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
A 50% to 70% increase in spring rate won't really hurt the ride, provided you're using fresh shocks. These cars were way under-sprung from the factory, in my opinion.
Does anybody know what the stock spring rate is?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 PM
bombfactory
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

160 lbs. in the front I believe.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Sorry, I could have supplied a little more information. Without changing the rear torsion bars, a good front spring rate is between 200 and 225 inch pounds. Weltmeister makes springs with those specifications which also lower the car about an inch from stock, and they work well. An alignment shop can then lower the rear for you to get the car level, again.

If you go higher than 250# in the front spring rate, you will also have to either change the rear torsion bars or get coil over shocks for the rear with helper springs. Either option is expensive, and a big job.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:01 AM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4

If you go higher than 250# in the front spring rate, you will also have to either change the rear torsion bars or get coil over shocks for the rear with helper springs. Either option is expensive, and a big job.
Not sure I entirely agree with this. Changing shocks and struts and adding coils in the rear is neither a big or expensive job, relatively speaking. You also don't need to have coils in the rear if you up the spring rate in front. You will need an alignment when done. paragon kit was about $1100 when I got it. And it took me about 5 hrs, including modifying the strut housing. There are better products out there, but this is pretty good.

I have the koni set up with 450lb springs in the front and 280 swift springs in rear (note: 8" springs in rear are too long, you need 6" or your car will sit too high). My car has also been lowered. Prior to lowering the car, I had only 450 springs in the front and it was fine on the street.

I track the car and My current set up is amazing, car does not dive under hard braking, and there is virtually no body roll in corners...MO30 sway help a lot too. Biggest problem with the car is the driver
Old 10-06-2012, 08:27 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

The reason I cited the expense and difficulty of adding spring rate to the rear (even with helper coilovers) is that it normally requires re-indexing the torsion bars, which is as much work as replacing them, and costs as much in labour as the suspension will to buy. I've heard of cases where re-indexing isn't required, but didn't want to assume that would be the case.

Anyway, fresh shocks and stiffer springs in the front really do wake the car up. Good point on the upgraded sway bars.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by qball
Jason, I saw those on the web site, how do they compare to the stock springs as far as stiffness and ride quality? Any other input?
We rate checked them years ago...as I recall they are in the 200-220# range.

Quick Reply: Suspension help