968 Forum 1992-1995

Help! Rear window/hatch conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Rear window/hatch conundrum

I'm experiencing the common problem with the rear hatch (glass) separating from the rear hatch (metal frame). I've temporarily patched the gap, which is big enough to allow water in, with electricians tape.

I spoke to a local (Durham, NC) glass guy today. He can't repair the hatch back to original quality, something to do with the way Porsche UV cured the original resin (or whatever the adhesive was). He can, for ~$200, lay down a flat bead of a sealant/adhesive that will look original (almost), but will only last 1-3 years. According to "glass-guy", typical window sealants/adhesives deteriorate in UV light. He does not have access to the Porsche resin (and apparently no one else does either).

Another option I have is to buy a "new" rear hatch (glass and frame) for ~$1200, that should last "much longer". "Much longer" is according to "glass-guy" and parts distributor. I would have to install the new hatch myself, which should be doable.

Now to the heart of my question, is there a third viable option that costs less than a new hatch and will last 3+ years? I use the car as my DD, and it is usually parked outside, even at home. (I know I should empty the garage and put the 968 inside, but I've got too much junk and tools and motorcycles, etc. maybe one day I'll clean it out or buy a house with much more garage space.)

I've heard rumors of a magical man who can return these hatches to like-new factory condition, but I have no idea where this wizard is or how to contact him, etc.

If there isn't a 3rd option, I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has replaced the hatch and/or repaired the seal.

Thanks

continuing the house tangent: My dream home is <1000 sq ft living space w/ 3-4 car garage w/ a lift. If anyone knows of one in the Raleigh/Durham area I'm interested.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should find a new glass guy. These are no different than any other windshield with mastic around the inside. If the glass is removed from the frame, the old mastic (black paint like stuff) and adhesive is removed from the glass and frame. New mastic is applied and the glass is re-installed with modern urethane adhesives. Good as new.
Not all glass shops will attempt to remove the glass from the frame though, especially when they find that replacement glass is NLA.
I had mine "band-aided" about 4 years ago. It was done in place without removing the frame; I had cleaned out the loose material, then had a glass shop inject urethane between the glass and the frame. Since this left an ugly adhesive line, I masked it off and painted the outside couple of inches to cover it. The only problem I'm having with it is the 6-7 inch area that I didn't do at that time since it was still well bonded. That has now worked free, so I just shot a little silicone in to patch that area. The rest of the hatch is still well bonded.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many threads in the general 924/44/51/68 forum about this - the KCWS I believe has a great write up about it.

Quick Reply: Help! Rear window/hatch conundrum