968 Forum 1992-1995

Headlight trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlight trouble

Can someone tell me what keeps the rod that pushes the headlight up connected to the back of the light when it retracts? My right side headlight goes up fine but when I shut the lights off the mechanism retracts but the headlight stays in the upright position. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the rod disconnecting? Are you sure its not a sticking relay? That is a common problem & one I've had too. When the light stays up, a tap on the relay with the ignition switch can cause it to retract, IF the relay is the issue.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 PM
blackboy
Pro

Yes the rod is disconnecting. The rod retracts but the light stays in the upright position.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts

Most likely if only one is acting up it is the latch mech or a broken or detached spring on the light assembly. I'm on my iPad so I do not know how to cut and paste.... I posted a very detailed light tutorial some time back that is a tell all. Search for it, it explains the entire mech with pics.

Cheers, mike
Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 PM
blackboy
Pro

Thank you.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 PM
blackboy
Pro

So this weekend I was able to swing the headlight all the way forward and expose the motor and lifting mechanism. The wheel has a slight flat spot that as it rotates into position when the headlight comes up is not a problem but when it retracts is just enough to allow the mechanism to separate from the back of the headlight. So my solution for the time being was to use a small plastic tie to keep it all together as I am not sure if that small plastic wheel is replaceable.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

The arm and wheel are a single assy and not sold or available that I have found. The whole arm is, do not ask how much. I have a what I will call a wheel rocker arm. It is simple to remove, tilt up lock light, turn on light, unhook the spring and it will fall out. It is held in by the spring and a hard stop, unhook it come right out. I have 4 if you need one. Send me you address, etc.. Pm or Michael.nott@areva.com.

Whatever you think is a fair $ would be fine. It will be the rocker with the wheel attached in great condition. Drop in attach spring, wd40 the hinge and done.

Cheers, mike
Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

As requested some more details

In the pic the arrow is on the spring you need to disconnect and the wheel that is afixed to the rocker. look close at the pivot point. It is a "U", without the spring the rocker with wheel just pops out.
The below they sell part 1 as an assembly for $580 but not the rocker part 2 and the spring part 3. hope this makes sense. If anyone can find the individual parts please post. I have some used.

Part 2 Drive Arm locking wheel 928.750.079.02 with part 3 the spring for it 928.750.291.02

Drive arm locking wheel and latch point in the light assy hinge. Note the spring

Last edited by notthd; 04-17-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
OakRZB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue with my right headlight. Looking at the diagram and pics, it would sure be great if there were an EASY way to put a 993 headlamp in place. wishful thinking...

Again it appears that 'notthd' will bail me out of another situation. I'll study the pics and PM if in need of parts....

Thanks !
-Robert
Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 AM
jakerade
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of these in pieces at the moment.

I would say the most likely cause is either the relay sticking (double relay in fuse box), or a stiff hinge.

There is no way to breakdown the hinge easily so all you can do is squirt wd40 or similar on it and hope. There are two roll pins holding it in place but even after removing them and letting the whole think soak for a week, the sleeve that the mechanism rotates on would not come out.

I am not sure what the release mechanism would have to do with a sticking light as it just separates the lifting arm from the light so you can pull it forwards?

The single arm at the bottom of the photo lifts the other two arms when the motor rotates.

(Hinge mechanism above)

I also stripped down the motor and checked the thermal cut out for corrosion (red box on the motor circuit board) and came the commutator a good clean up. Since then it has worked much bettter

plenty of pictures here

https://picasaweb.google.com/1080375...NLGovKswum0Tg#
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

key phrases for the 968 pop-up lights....

1. my solution....

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...e-968-a-8.html

other key phrases

2. "hey bud, how much for the sawz-all ?"

3. "what the heck..."

4. "make your move..."

5. "oh ****...."

6. "don't look back."

7. "no regrets...."

just my $0.02...

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Headlight trouble