Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Interior Replacement Carpet Recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The linen color was always referred to as white by any who saw my 911. It was slightly off white, with the underlying shade more towards tan than grey, but it was much too subtle for most people to be that sophisticated in their perception of it. It looked like a shade of white, not a shade of tan or grey.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM
calguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

World Upholstery can make you a carpet set in Linen.
Hey Guys,

That's too funny. I actually ordered the samples from World Upholstery. The linen color was not available as well as many of the lighter colors. The only one that kind of matches is the one called Silk #2024. And that one is in Silverknit not the Feintuft Velour. The Feintuft Velour did not even have any color that was lighter than a dark grey at least I never received a sample of that kind. I called them back and asked them "how come I did not receive the requested samples" and their response was that "the carpets that were not sent means that they are discontinued and no longer available". How long ago did you get your carpet CurtP? I did not send them a carpet sample although that may help.

Of the silverknit carpet that I did match my upholstery shop liked that one the most and he told me to use that carpet as the backing is netted and a lot more flexible; meaning that it will be easier to glue onto the different parts. He recommended not to get the carpet set since that will be a lot harder (more labor) to get into the interior than the unbacked let alone cost a lot more; World Upholstery wants about a little north of $800 for the carpet kit; and judging by the responses is not all that impressive. He'll use my old carpets as templates to cut and add backing and soundproofing to the new carpet.

Anyone know how to remove the cubby storage in the cabriolet? That is the next item that I'll need to take out since that will also receive a new skin of black carpet.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

who's the company that has the rear half carpet ? i had their website and even talked to the guy. it was a rear carpet in all the colors but it didn't cover the spare tire or go all the way up. it has a big Porsche logo too. really liked it. now i can't find it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
Anyone know how to remove the cubby storage in the cabriolet? That is the next item that I'll need to take out since that will also receive a new skin of black carpet.
Easy. When you open the lids, you will see some nuts that are holding it to the car. It's that simple.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:23 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
How long ago did you get your carpet CurtP?
December 2008. Geez - I didn't realize it was that long ago. I think it was the 5011 or 5017 that was available at the time that was a decent match, but I'd have to try to find my color samples to be sure. If I was going to get new samples, I'd get 5011, 5017 and 5363.

But my car is a daily driver. After looking at the original carpet and seeing how nasty it looked, I decided that black would be easier to live with. I don't care for contrasting floor mats, so whatever color carpet I got, the floor mats had to match.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
calguy
Instructor

Thanks guys for the quick replies!

I'll take a look at the cuby and see what I can do to remove it. The more I think about the black carpet the more I think it will look cool with the car. The 968 is a cabrio and the exterior is black. I like the light carpet but since it's impossible to match to the factory color the black will look good since the rest of the interior is light gray with the exception of the top dash and top of the door panels.

My cubby has two speakers mounted in it and a nice cover piece made of black leather. I'm thinking to make that piece in light gray (the upholstery shop can match the leather seats) and do the vinyl stiching around the carpet in a similar light gray to white color. I think that will give it some nice flare to it! What do you all think?

Lastly, the rear cargo hatch is pretty flat if I recall correctly so I don't think there's the hump for the collapsable spare like the coupe's but I may be wrong. It's been a while since I looked at it.

Again thanks for the advice!

Calguy
Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 AM
judge
Track Day

Hi guys.

On a slight tangent i am considering changing the interior colour of my red '93 cab from blackblackblack to a tan/cashmere/champagne colour. I have a good trimmer locally who can do the leather and carpet, but the door handles and some of the other plastic trim items are a concern. Any idea where I might find coloured plastics, or how one coulg go about re-colouring the sdtandard black bits?
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM
calguy
Instructor

Hi judge,

No problem. Awesome choice. I've always liked the lighter color myself. I would highly recommend keeping your items and simply having them re-sprayed by the upholstery shop (if they can) or find a shop that can spray them to the color you would like. I believe the color # for thes interior is in the workshop manual and if it's not I would go about purchasing one part in the color you decide and match it to the backside of that part.

The reason I recommend this is because even if you find the color of all the parts that you are looking for you will most likely need to touch them up as depending on the condition that they are in, more than likely there will be UV fading (it's inevitable due to the age of these vehicles). Let alone it would probably cost a lot more to buy the parts than simply re-spray the ones that you have (provided that you don't need to re fabric the leather/leatherette etc)

My suggestion to re-color the plastic trim would be to make sure you find the color you are looking for so that they can match and secondly do all the parts at once. I re-did all the interior to the original light gray this includes:

Door panels (lower part)
Door handles and backcup
Armrests
Center armrest and console
Lower part of dashboard
Rear Cubby doors (it's a cabrio)
Glove Box Door
Left and Right Side seat caps for each of the two seats
Hand Brake

It made a huge difference in the appearance of the car. It basically looks like new if not better.

Lastly, make sure you ask for some left over paint as more than likely at some point or another there may be a scratch and you probably want to touch it up should that be the case.

Hope this helps! Best of luck be sure to post some pics!

-Calguy
'80 924 NA
'92 968
Old 05-14-2021, 04:57 PM
JFkittredge
5th Gear

Default So did we identify an molded carpet seller?

Looking to freshen my 1992... light grey.

Quick Reply: 968 Interior Replacement Carpet Recomendation