968 Interior Replacement Carpet Recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM
calguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Interior Replacement Carpet Recomendation

Hey y'all!

I’m working on replacing the interior carpet of my 968. According to the dealer (PET catalogue etc) the carpet is called “light grey” although it actually looks like a white type of color.

Unfortunately, the dealer does not offer the replacement molded carpet anymore; it has been discontinued so I have turned to aftermarket. Can anyone recommend a carpet distributor that can actually send me a sample?? I have looked on at least a dozen websites but I do not want to make a costly order on something that I can only see on the computer screen. Plus no one offers the molded carpet so my only option is to buy the flat carpet by the yard or a flat carpet kit.

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Calguy
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Calguy,

If you have the very light grey color (almost white) which is paired with either black, classic gray, midnight blue, cobalt blue, or magenta and your car is a 92-ealry 94 then that is the correct color name, "light gray". I don't know what they were thinking to produce a carpet color that light. Anyway, you may want to pick up an issue of the porsche club magazine, panorama,, which has a number of interior vendors listed.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 PM
calguy
Instructor

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the clarification. You're description is exactly what the car is. It's a '92 with a "light gray" base from the carpet to the seats to halfway up the dashboard than it becomes black from the other half of the dash and the door panels. I like the color combination but indeed the base carpet being so light is rather unpractical, though it does look nice when new.

I just got this month's issue of Panorama in the mail yesterday so I'll check it out and see what I can find.

Thank you,

Calguy
Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Hey Calguy,

That is my favorite looking interior as well. Another option for you, if you like it you might consider adding the factory available deviating carpet option. My old cab had the classic gray/light gray interior. Back when the car was ordered new the dealer paid an extra $60 to have the carpets done in classic gray rather then the standard light gray. A great move as the classic gray is much more pratical. Deviated carpet is a common option for just that reason. You see it on Black/cashmere cars as well where the carpets were special ordered in deviated black. The attached photo shows a car similar to yours with the deviated carpet in black. If you like the look you might consider it. Definately more practical and it still looks factory correct. Note, it includes the carpet on the lower part of the door panels as well.

Jeff
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM
calguy
Instructor

Hi Jeff,

That looks pretty nice. The only setback is my budget, however. Knowing me I would want to do the carpet on the door panels and the rear box in black.

But depending on whether I can find a similar looking material to the light gray or not will determine which route I go. I may just do the carpet and door panels and leave the cubby in the original light grey color.

You know, I think I saw another member who had a light grey interior photo online. I'll try to see if I can find it and quickly do a color overlay in Photoshop to see how it would look with the cubby.

Thanks,

Calguy
Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Here's another one for you in a cab.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

What you guys talking about, lol nothing wrong with ligth grey carpet just need to be a little more careful.Mine has over 50k miles on them & look brand new from front to rear.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
calguy
Instructor

Thanks Jeff for the photo. The more I look at it the more I'm liking the look of the black carpet. Do you know if there's any pictures of a cab with the cubby in the back in light gray? Or in Black?

I took a look at this month's issue of Panorama and ordered some samples from Heritage Trim in WA but nothing stook out to look like Linen or Light Gray so the more I look for it the more and more difficult it will be find that carpet.

My only option may be to do the carpet in black but then the cubby the door side map holders and rear quarter panel parts will have to be in black too! That will just run the cost up even more I imagine. Eventually the trunk will have to be in black too!

Hi Ernie, thanks for sharing. That's one awesomely clean interior! Looks like it rolled off the assembly line!

Calguy
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice color, looks a lot like the Linen color that was in my '90 964 Cab. Was actually an off white, so I believe it was even lighter than light grey. Think it was used mostly in '90-'92 and most call it light grey also when I see a 911 in those model years for sale.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
calguy
Instructor

Hi MGW-Fla,

So would an aftermarket Linen color be closer to the light grey than say something that is more towards a light biege?

Calguy
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

I think linen is definately towards the tan family and not the gray.

There is another light gray interior with black deviated carpet 968 on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item20c4363ef8
Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by calguy
Hi MGW-Fla,

So would an aftermarket Linen color be closer to the light grey than say something that is more towards a light biege?

Calguy
This is a linen interior on a 944S2.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28 PM
calguy
Instructor

Thanks guys for the quick replies. The black deviated carpet does not look so bad. That may be the only option to take as finding something even comes close to the original "Light Gray" is becoming more and more unlikely.

The linen doesn't look too off either.

Thanks,
Calguy
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 AM
calguy
Instructor

Hey guys!

So it turns out that even "Linen" is unavailable as a carpet in the aftermarket arena. I checked with a few places and they couldn't even find me a sample to send of it. So after much thought I decided to change all interior carpet trim to black. I figured a) it doesn't look too bad and it's very practical and b) if I ever do need to change a piece for whatever reason black is black so it won't go out of style or out of production as some other colors and c) the wonderful examples you all shared gave me hope that with a little work mine could look like that

So that being said, I need to tackle removing all interior trim which should be hard since the only items remaining are the rear cubby/side lining and trunk linen. Does anyone know how to remove the cubby? Is there a how to guide posted by someone on this site? I looked on the PET catalogue and I coudn't even find the cubby let alone the rear booster seats as a diagram or even description! The only thing I found was a reference to "group 8/08/00-8/08/60" and "group 8/04/60-8/04/86 catalogue STZ.18"! Anyone know what that is refereing too? It's in both the 944 and 968 PET catalogues.

Thank you ahead of time for all the help!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

World Upholstery can make you a carpet set in Linen. Only they don't call it Linen. You can have them send you some carpet samples for you to match it to your interior. I think you can send them a sample of your current carpet for them to match as well.

That being said, I ended up going with a black carpet myself. And I had to end up finding good OE pieces for the hatch sides. The WU did not fit, nor did they seem interested in working with me to fix it. The front carpet sets were drop-in. The rear hatch carpet fit wasn't too bad. Everything in between was crap. Mine is cut-and-bound Feintuft. It cannot be heat shaped like nylon carpet, so it takes a lot more work to get it installed.

Quick Reply: 968 Interior Replacement Carpet Recomendation