Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

The "eastern PA 968 parts site" taboo

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

not to mention being nearly completely unpretentious.... akin to youngsters working on their first cars.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a lot of history behind forming of the other forum that people are not aware of. The community was divided from the day the site was built and then a jackass was given keys to that forum.
Just cause some people weren't there when it happened, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Shady individuals get together to build a site, great idea!
Seems to be working well so far....
Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Cloud9...68
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The part of this that I find puzzling is the third site, namely 968.net, which is run by the same guy who started the original 968.net site years ago. The new 968.net site gets very little traffic, despite very good search engine optimization on their part. The site is pretty well organized, runs well, the people there seem very cordial, and I've had very good luck buying and selling parts through 968.net, but other than that, it isn't a big player in the 968 world.

I've had great interactions with members from all of the "warring factions" of the online 968 world, with no sign of any manifestation of the accusations they level at each other. I'm sure members of the factions will strongly disagree, but as an outside observer, by feeling is that we're simply seeing natural human dynamics at work, in that when bright, successful, knowledgeable people disagree on subject matter about which they're very pasionate (in this case the 968), the disagreements tend to escalate to bitter, irreconcilable disputes. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68
The part of this that I find puzzling is the third site, namely 968.net, which is run by the same guy who started the original 968.net site years ago. The new 968.net site gets very little traffic, despite very good search engine optimization on their part. The site is pretty well organized, runs well, the people there seem very cordial, and I've had very good luck buying and selling parts through 968.net, but other than that, it isn't a big player in the 968 world.

I've had great interactions with members from all of the "warring factions" of the online 968 world, with no sign of any manifestation of the accusations they level at each other. I'm sure members of the factions will strongly disagree, but as an outside observer, by feeling is that we're simply seeing natural human dynamics at work, in that when bright, successful, knowledgeable people disagree on subject matter about which they're very pasionate (in this case the 968), the disagreements tend to escalate to bitter, irreconcilable disputes. Just my 2 cents.

great post!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove past the park where myself, Jeff968, and a few others met up for the first time-in central NJ, in 2000 last week. I think we had 7 cars.

Then our village got an idiot. Things have never been the same, and not in a good way. Pete from RSB finally had to figure out the hard way that we were right all along.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloud9...68

When people act in an unethical manner lines get drawn. PM me if you'd like to hear it from someone there at the beginning. I can give you specific examples that I'd rather not open publicly again due to my respect for RL.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

"Then our village got an idiot" lol Priceless comment! Thank you for a great laugh, Damian!

As another long time 968 owner, I've watched this whole thing unfold, and have my opinions on what transpired in the past. While I wasn't directly in the line of fire, I understand why some members feel the way they do and I wouldn't fault them for it. At the same time, I hope that as time goes on, we see the community grow closer together and the folks that have worked their own agendas in the past get exposed for who they are and go away. Rennlist has, in my opinion, stayed largely above the fray and concentrated on providing the best technical knowledge and a community of enthusiasts that can respect each other, even if we occasionally have differences of opinion. Failing that, we always have OD's avatar to fall back on.

Sydney, as for your OP here, unless you are being told directly by a Rennlist mod that you are doing something wrong, don't worry about it. If you (or anyone else) really gets out of line, trust me, you'll know it soon enough, but if you are posting with good intention, you'll get along fine here. Cloud nailed it in his second paragraph.

Regards, ...Scott
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Scott thanks for the input! definitely posted with good intentions. in fact the only reason i was flustered was because ive never had anything but!

as far as the catalyst for this thread, you can decide for yourself whether i was doing anything wrong...

reference posts 9-11.
keep in mind that my post was in fact deleted, so i assume a mod was involved.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...for-parts.html
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
There is a lot of history behind forming of the other forum that people are not aware of. The community was divided from the day the site was built and then a jackass was given keys to that forum.
Just cause some people weren't there when it happened, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Shady individuals get together to build a site, great idea!
Seems to be working well so far....
as far as the drama on .net in the old days, again i wasn't here for that and neither were the majority of current 968 owners. i understand banning them for whatever objective reason but the ban on even talking about them is not understood. if it really has been that long since all of this started then i have to wonder why the personal feelings extend to deleting posts that even mention the company...

no hard feelings and all, i just don't like being accused of something im not. you had no right to make public baseless accusations. especially when im about as impartial as you can get!

Quick Reply: The "eastern PA 968 parts site" taboo