Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum-71/)
-   -   The "eastern PA 968 parts site" taboo (https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/681896-the-eastern-pa-968-parts-site-taboo.html)

sydneyman 02-21-2012 10:25 PM

The "eastern PA 968 parts site" taboo

This unspoken taboo about this "other site" has always bothered me and as of a few days ago, it finally "affected" me. Apparently you can't even mention this company anymore without your post getting deleted and being threatened.

this really bothers me because ive NEVER been out of line and they've been mentioned in threads MANY times before (after being banned) without issue... so im tired of how some people tend to pick and choose when to come down and make this an issue...

so the point of my post: please outline what exactly is allowed and what is not relating to ALL banned vendors... because its not universally enforced...

im accused of being a shill because in one day i posted twice about this vendor. once was to respond to someone asking about my setup, (which has parts from this vendor) and once mentioning parts suppliers for our cars...

i get that the vendor is banned, but doesn't that just mean they can't come on here and sell their products? why the heck can't i even talk about them? just because i bought something from them means im not welcome on this site anymore? I love this community but the drama in the relatively slow 968 section is ridiculous...

so please, for all to see, outline what is acceptable and what is not so you don't have to threaten me and accuse me of shilling. thanks.

and if this is out of line, INFORM me instead of just banning me right away...

odurandina 02-22-2012 12:20 AM

i have no ill feelings good or bad but i know they've abused this forum in the past.

then they either created or took over another site and used it as their personal battering ram.

their 968 headers and mandrel S-pipe would be a welcome addition to any 968.....

then add the slp resonator and magnaflow (od recipe) and you'll make sick sound and power. no chip needed.

sydneyman 02-22-2012 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by odurandina (Post 9297922)
i have no ill feelings good or bad but i know they've abused this forum in the past.

then they either created or took over another site and used it as their personal battering ram.

thanks for chiming in OD. i agree, one could argue this forum has its reasons for banning the vendor... im not disputing why they are banned as it predates my history here and i have no desire to rehash that...

in fact i consider myself so impartial that i started this thread because i was so taken aback by the harsh crack down on my mentioning them... oops that was a bad run on sentence... sorry...

why can't they be mentioned like any other banned member or vendor? the banning's purpose (i presume) is to just stop the user from coming on here and posting. and in the case of the vendor to prevent the endorsement of their own products. this of course is when shilling can be a problem, and again i understand being on the lookout for that... its just been taken a little too far. im not the first to be accused of shilling by far...

odurandina 02-22-2012 01:28 AM

please forgive me, but if i'm not mistaken, there was this deal with them spamming the forum with their chips a few years back.... also don't wish to draw attention to someone's fine and honest work. don't know the full extent of what happened and i'm not sure i want to know.... but since you've asked, one of the guys could pm... but then there would be other dozen guys that are new that would be asking more questions... maybe this will help put the matter to bed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...opment-27.html

Originally Posted by FRporscheman (Post 7093147)

Everyone thinks they can look at Carl's pics and make their own kit. The car has been on the roads since 1992 and here is the first supercharger that allows retention of the AC. I really doubt someone else could make a kit without copying Carl's idea, which would be shameful.

"rotten more still, if someone tried to sell it."

—Odurandina.

hope this helps.

sydneyman 02-22-2012 01:52 AM

yeah, i remember there being some drama with that. they did come out pretty soon after one another. once you look at the kits though, they aren't very similar... one supercharger unit has its own oil supply, one uses a chip to control fuel, the other uses a rising rate FPR... i just don't see how any ideas were stolen apart from maybe trying to rain on the other's parade by coming out at the same time... then again maybe the positioning of the supercharger ahead of the motor so its pully is facing backwards was the stolen idea...

but again, im not behind the scenes on this and im just trying to figure out why these issues can't be discussed openly without being shot down for mentioning the vendor.

swmic 02-22-2012 09:14 AM

It's a real shame all the 968 folks can't get along. There are so few of these cars around.

Damian in NJ 02-22-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007 (Post 9297942)
thanks for chiming in OD. i agree, one could argue this forum has its reasons for banning the vendor... im not disputing why they are banned as it predates my history here and i have no desire to rehash that...

in fact i consider myself so impartial that i started this thread because i was so taken aback by the harsh crack down on my mentioning them... oops that was a bad run on sentence... sorry...

why can't they be mentioned like any other banned member or vendor? the banning's purpose (i presume) is to just stop the user from coming on here and posting. and in the case of the vendor to prevent the endorsement of their own products. this of course is when shilling can be a problem, and again i understand being on the lookout for that... its just been taken a little too far. im not the first to be accused of shilling by far...

The amusing part is that this vendor, who is/was? 1/3 owner of the leftcoast website, is now banned-there! He's no longer a site sponsor. Ugly mess from what I hear.

Fox944 02-22-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ (Post 9299965)
The amusing part is that this vendor, who is/was? 1/3 owner of the leftcoast website, is now banned-there! He's no longer a site sponsor. Ugly mess from what I hear.

Thats misinformation. They are not banned on the other sight. The latter is correct however. They are no longer a sponsor of the sight.

sydneyman 02-22-2012 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ (Post 9299965)

wow you're right... i just checked. thats odd... and RSBarn doesn't sell the supercharger anymore...

missed all the drama again! :biggulp:

Damian in NJ 02-22-2012 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fox944 (Post 9300035)
Thats misinformation. They are not banned on the other sight. The latter is correct however. They are no longer a sponsor of the sight.

Is he still a partner in the site? When was his last post? What happened that he's no longer a sponsor on a site he was a partner in?

sydneyman 02-22-2012 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i will now defuse everyone's subconscious with this:

Fox944 02-23-2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ (Post 9300219)
Is he still a partner in the site? When was his last post? What happened that he's no longer a sponsor on a site he was a partner in?

- Not sure he was ever a partner, but rather a huge sponsor. Feel free to correct me if you know for a fact he was a partner and not just a big sponsor.

-Last post under the companys handle was in October of last year. However, employees of the company also had their own handles. Not sure when they last posted.

-not sure what happened, nor do i really care to learn about drama on any 968 sight forum. I don't post much anymore. when i do, its either to ask a question, or enlighten others.....sharing information/knowledge.

Damian in NJ 02-23-2012 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fox944 (Post 9303460)
- Not sure he was ever a partner, but rather a huge sponsor. Feel free to correct me if you know for a fact he was a partner and not just a big sponsor.

-Last post under the companys handle was in October of last year. However, employees of the company also had their own handles. Not sure when they last posted.

-not sure what happened, nor do i really care to learn about drama on any 968 sight forum. I don't post much anymore. when i do, its either to ask a question, or enlighten others.....sharing information/knowledge.

I have PM's from the three owners signing together as partners-so he was a partner in the site, at least at one time.

It's no surprise to me it ended badly, just that it took so long.

Just found this, where it's confirmed that the three were partners together. Even then there was shilling going on!
http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=228134

More bad blood between the left coast site and the eastern PA vendor, where the left coast is ragging on one of the eastern PA vendor!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ll-joints.html

odurandina 02-24-2012 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fox944 (Post 9303460)

Not sure he was ever a partner, but he was Mr. Big (that's with a capital B) in the 968 world....

you said it. :thumbsup:

also agree with the other part of your post, Dino. sad the 968 owners are a rather fragmented family. and that's probably putting it mildly... i wish we had a site like the RL 928 forum. a lot of very nice people up there. almost like a tribe. don't get me wrong. of course, we have very nice people here including a Keeper, Guru, Neatfreak (you could eat a fried egg off his valve cover), and 1 attention whore..... but we need more !

MGW-Fla 02-24-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by odurandina (Post 9303965)
... i wish we had a site like the RL 928 forum. a lot of very nice people up there....

+1
Many people there come and go, but the core group has been there for years. Course part of the reason for the success is the large number of available owners due to the much higher production numbers of the 928 over its 17 year run. The combination of a large number of owners of 18-34 year old(sophisticated/complex) cars, and their desire to do their own work, can result in many questions & discussions to arise. The 928 RL community has certainly also seen its share of controversy, both with members and vendor/sponsors. But the overall community survives and thrives in spite of it, due perhaps to the overriding love of the car.