Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Resealing Lower Balance Shaft Cover While In Car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Resealing Lower Balance Shaft Cover While In Car...

Has anyone resealed their lower balance shaft cover with it still in the car? The rear o-ring/disc on mine has a slow seep to it and I wanted to replace it since the belts are off but after inspecting it closer last night I don't think the upper last bolt will come out all the way with the exhaust manifold in place? I really don't want to glob sealant back there as a fix, I'd rather do it right since I have the parts here and the car is down anyways. I know on my 951 the issue was the aluminum motor carrier to mount was in the way of the cover coming off, but the exhaust was not an issue on it. So from what I saw laying under the car it looks like the exhaust manifold, heat shield and engine carrier all need to come off? Hopefully I am wrong but thought I would ask before tearing things down.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You are correct. The motor mount will be in the way, along with the exhaust manifold. It can be done, or so I have been told.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes, it can be done in the car, but its not a lot of fun...
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people, including myself, just clean it off and apply some of the Grey RTV sealant. Works like a champ.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
rdhayward
Racer

I think I did as little as possible to get to that cover. Good luck with yours. Here's a link to my write-up:

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...r-r-and-r.html
Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Great write-up, thanks! I have to tackle mine some day soon.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM
jacbabbitt
8th Gear

hi
Did you have any luck with the leak from the lower balance shaft O ring seal? Did you have to "add" any gasket sealer to stop the leak? I have a similiar problem and rebuilt the area with no luck. Still leaking from the o ring area. No leaks from the main seal. thanks Jack
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I did this job about 2 months ago and added a bit of sealer to the red o-ring in back. I used that red loctite stuff that is used on the Al flanges too. Mine is not leaking. The instructions say to put it together dry, but I didn't take a chance.

Make sure you have the right seal, the seal hub is clean, and the seal isn't damaged.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM
jacbabbitt
8th Gear

Thanks, I should have been more specific, I was asking about the front o ring. Near the shaft seal, Any ideas. As I said not from the main seal. Do you have a number on the loctite stuff. 574by chance? I am going to replace the main seal this time also. Noted difference between upper and lower seal and direction of travel, to get the correct seal. The leak comes from the between the front bearing housing and the main engine case. The new large O ring part # 999 701 652 40 should have done the job, but it leaks more now. Secound question, Can you replace the oil pan gasket without lifting the engine or removing the suspension?

jb
Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

The two seals for the BS are different. I'm guessing you put the wrong seal in. Also, there is a small clear plastic shim that goes on the nose of the shaft behind the gear hub. I used a dab of Loctite 574 on the outer ring of the seal, but nothing on the inner lip.

Don't know about the OPG job, but taking the cross-member and steering rack out is maybe an hour job. The steering rack can just be pushed to the left side, and stay connected to the hoses. This is a good time for new motor mounts.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM
jacbabbitt
8th Gear

I did not replace the outer seal, It did not look like it needed it. There is no leak on the outer seal. So one more time if you do not mind. I am not sure what the inner lip is. There is an o ring on the aft part of the lower balance shaft housing. This O ring sides into the engine. This is where the leak occurs. Did you place any sealant in the O ring area? I did replace the small Teflon gasket. I will replace the balance shaft seal the second time around.
Thanks for the advice on the steering rack

jack
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

OK, looking at the diagram, we see four parts to the seal of the lower BSB. #5, 16, 20, and 21. 5 is the teflon seal on the shaft behind the geared hub, 16 is the rear rubber o ring, 20 is the shaft machined seal, and 21 is the bearing case o-ring. All of these must be replaced when doing the BSB reseal job. Be careful that PN for item 20 is correct, as it is different size than the upper shaft.

I did not use any sealant on 21, the o ring, I did use Loctite 574 on 16, and on the outer ring(pressed fit) of 20 which is the machined seal. I use a high grade Lithium based grease for 21 as it helps keep it soft over time.

Last edited by docmirror; 12-11-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Resealing Lower Balance Shaft Cover While In Car...