Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

what did you do with your 968 today.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
Test fit H4 LEDs in new headlight units...
That's great, are you happy with it? What bulb?
Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
That's great, are you happy with it? What bulb?
Finishing the install today so I haven't had it out at night.

Here's the bulb: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ink/3929/8565/
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, there was no way to take the original connection apart so I had to cut it off. I cut it so that if someone wanted to reattach it they could.
Attached Images         
Old 09-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
Well, there was no way to take the original connection apart so I had to cut it off. I cut it so that if someone wanted to reattach it they could.
Man, those look awesome! How hard was it to do the install? Would love any tutorials so I can try doing it on mine.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedvagen
Man, those look awesome! How hard was it to do the install? Would love any tutorials so I can try doing it on mine.
Thanks. Have yet to try them after dark so we'll see.

Pretty straight forward process:

1. Get the bulbs and an H4 female harness (readily available on Amazon)
2. Take the headlight assembly apart to get at the original bulb and remove it.
3. Cut wires on the stock original three prong connection as pictured above. Make a not as to their orientation so you can match the correct wires from the H4 adapter harness.
4. Prepare the wires from the original connector and the female H4 connector to be connected using pinch/heat shrink connectors or, soldered if you prefer. Be sure to put a piece of shrink tubing long enough to cover your connection on the wires prior to making the permanent connection. I put a larger piece of shrink over all three wires as an added measure but, it's really not necessary. I tend to over do things. :-)
5. Once connected and tested, secure the wires so they don't get caught on anything and reassemble everything.

Pictures above are pretty much the entire process. Pretty simple and pretty straightforward. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I got my wifes bumper back from the paint shop and now applying the rubber molding. Interesting process, using the 3M black adhesive glue, a little more rubbery than I thought, dries quick seems to do the job.
Hope to be taking the car to the inspection station tomorrow after being in my garage for nearly 4 years!

Anyone have a set of the Euro turn signals for sale? I have a set of the 993 clears on it but dont like all the gaps. They are about $106 each at Sonnen for the Euro models, only come in amber.
Attached Images   
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my motor mounts changed out. I knew they were shot and put off changing them for a while. Just didn't feel like doing it myself so took the opportunity to have a road trip.
2 things:
1. If yours needs to be changed, don't wait. It's a crazy difference and makes the car so much quiet, smooth and enjoyable to drive.
2. Anyone near Reno, Reno Rennsport is a great shop from my experience. Very reasonable price, done right and they pointed out a couple things they saw wrong (some I knew, others I didn't). No pressure to do the work, just wanted me to be aware. If I were closer, a lot of things I'm too lazy to do myself would be done by them.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:52 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Got the bumper on, cleaned up and put 200 miles on her over the weekend. Felt good, the too-do list is getting shorter. Need to change the fuel pump, its fairly loud and dont want to leave my wife stranded somewhere. Must admit to enjoying the tiptronic for bombing around to the winery. 1-50 mph nothing like the 6 spd. Above 50 still fairly nimble and downshifts quickly as desired.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
I had my motor mounts changed out. I knew they were shot and put off changing them for a while. Just didn't feel like doing it myself so took the opportunity to have a road trip.
2 things:
1. If yours needs to be changed, don't wait. It's a crazy difference and makes the car so much quiet, smooth and enjoyable to drive.
2. Anyone near Reno, Reno Rennsport is a great shop from my experience. Very reasonable price, done right and they pointed out a couple things they saw wrong (some I knew, others I didn't). No pressure to do the work, just wanted me to be aware. If I were closer, a lot of things I'm too lazy to do myself would be done by them.
That's great. I can't wait to do this!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Got the bumper on, cleaned up and put 200 miles on her over the weekend. Felt good, the too-do list is getting shorter. Need to change the fuel pump, its fairly loud and dont want to leave my wife stranded somewhere. Must admit to enjoying the tiptronic for bombing around to the winery. 1-50 mph nothing like the 6 spd. Above 50 still fairly nimble and downshifts quickly as desired.
Looks good!!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

my v8 motor mounts have disintegrated.

if i'd done them, i'd have attempted a lot more rubber.

don't know if there'd been sufficient room though.

quite flawed nevertheless.

also.... some interior upgrades underway.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took off the very pretty but oversized 18s for a set of more period 17" 993 Targa speedlines I picked up cheap. Mostly I needed the 18s to go back on my beater 996 and I didn't want the beaten to death OEM Cup Is that came with it. The 968 keeps getting mechanically better but every time I take it out for more than a few hours it gets hit, the latest one caving in the arch over the front passenger wheel that you can slightly make out in the second picture. Paintless dent removal is up next after a wash since it's so dusty from being in storage lately. I think I need some mild spacers with these wheels too.

Before:
Name:  rYPsEmfh.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  95.6 KB

After:
Name:  jR9tNgNh.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  102.3 KB
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Boeing 717

Nice wheels!!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:47 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LM964
Last weekend the CS had a thorough whole day test drive and investigation by Chris at Centre Gravity UK for a complete geo checkup and renewal.

Previous ownership installed M030 option front and rear anti-roll (sway) bars. Also M030 castor mounts.

After inspection and discussion on options, I've decided to go for M030 adjustable Konis along with Superpro bushings. Koni's will be dialled down for normal road/sprint use. Full-on M030 track settings would drive me nuts and be uncomfortable for 85% of my normal use.

Avoiding all the KW/Bilstein add-ons' - I want to return the set up as factory CS-intended using the same parts plus M030 compliant for road/sprint use. I can always dial up the dampers for the track days if needed.

Excited in anticipation...
All done a couple of weeks ago. Handling completely transformed. Kept M030 front sway bar as is, as the original issue of the front 'tramlining' when pushed was totally my fault for putting 964 Cup 2's on the car with an offset of an extra 13mm. Big lesson for me there - don't move away from the offsets Porsche intended as the front handling dynamics only get worse.

Adjustbale Konis all round. Front set to full hard minus one 360 turn back for fast road sprint. Only three fulls turns seperates the opposite settings - simples. Now with orginal CS Cup wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, solid confident handling and amazing grip. Took an extended 2-hour trip back home around fast twisty B roads and grinning all the way.

If, with the adjustable Konis, this is what the original factory CS with M030 set up was (minus the bigger brakes), then I am much more than happy and impressed. Cannot recommend enough the Konis, as orginally intended.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Boeing 717

Do you have a link to the dampers that you purchased?

Quick Reply: what did you do with your 968 today.....