968 Forum 1992-1995

Thoughts on what my car is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:51 PM
959Lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
All 968s are rare, they only made 4,242 of them for North America, and that makes them all special. But even in the small 968 world there are even more special standouts. I think a red 968 is very nice and it was the second most popular color with 548 coupes produced. Still, if I was in the market for a coupe and there was one of those 548 red cars listed as well as the 1 of 1 Riviera blue coupe I would pay that premium for the Riv car because of its uniqueness. There is no such uniqueness in the 944 world, at least from the factory, and that is one of the things that I think makes the 968 "lame-less".
That doesn't change the fact that the OP's car is GORGEOUS. Red is associated with sports cars and is one of the most prevalent colors available because it is classic. While there may be 548 red coupes still (not considering changing of colors or any other variable) that doesn't deter people from buying a RED Porsche. There's a reason 548 red coupes were delivered to the US: it's a hot color. I personally would rather have that red optionless coupe than your 1 of 1 green cab. I have multiple reasons but you must look at the market from the perspective of a buyer and not from yours since a seller would be subjective. There are those that want a rare color or a few rare options but there are also buyers that want unmolested low mileage pristine condition cars. If there's overlap, great; if the price is right, even better.

OP, Great photography! How do you like the 5D? Got any more pictures of the car in that setting? I could use a new background picture.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will always be that collector that will buy a very low miles car even it wasn't rare , I remember a local collector paying big money for a 4 door Valiant . I wouldn't have wanted any body to know it was mine same for some of the ugly Porsche colors , might explain the low numbers of some colors . But every body has there own taste isn't that what makes life go round. I don't really like red but have a red one , really hate Kalahari Beige on the 951 have one of those too. use to not like Zermatt Silver now is my favorite of mine . Love Marachino Cherry on the 951 and don't have one. Have an old saying about selling cars .... There's an *** for every seat ....
Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 959Lover
but you must look at the market from the perspective of a buyer
Exactly, the is why I took exception with the earlier posters claim that uniquely optioned cars command a "lame" premium. The bottom line is that many 968 buyers will pay a premium for a unique car. Nothing lame about that, just good old "supply and demand". Those same 968 buyers will pay 20% less for a tiptronic car even though this was a $3,000 option when new. Doesn't seem fair but that is what the market says.

Last year I purchased a used 94 coupe with limted slip, 17" wheels, 6 speed, partial leather. It was 1 of 64 painted in aventurine green. I sold it for $13K. If it had been speed yellow it would have sold for at least $3K more for the same car! The funny thing, someone paid $800 for the aventurine paint option back in 1994 and speed yellow was a no cost paint choice. Who would have guessed.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:51 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree with Jeff. Actually, a speed yellow coupe with similar miles would command close to $20k. I owned a SY M030 and knew the right buyer would come along and pay me my premium. Guess what, he then went ahead and sold it for an extra $5k after owning it for a bit. Just goes to show, rare color cars will sell for more. All it takes is that one buyer who wants that exact color.
Raj
Old 09-11-2011, 03:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think people are misunderstanding me. I don't see how everyone is missing my point...

I love options. I love strange colors, inset hood crests, big brakes, lsd, and I love seeing collectors geek out over rare cars and rarer versions of them. I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T! Hello? And I never said those options aren't worth more. Yes, a low-miles speed yellow m030 coupe should cost more than a basic nsx, even though the nsx is pretty much a better car (taste aside).

What I don't like is 1) that the 968s with little/no options have dropped so much lower in value than the ones loaded with options; and 2) that many/most of the people in the 968 clubs seem so bored by the ones that have no options, like they couldn't be bothered. Both of these things that I have observed are what I call lame.

Because everyone goes apenuts over options options options, the unoptioned cars go down in cash value and desirability. It's like an elitist club in here sometimes! Come on, all these cars are 99% the same.

Jeff, I seem to have offended you, and of course that was not my intent, I regard you as a friend. But at the same time, if you want to give all of the attention to all the "special" cars, the least you can do is not bite my head off for revering a "normal" car because I used a word you don't like.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I think people are misunderstanding me. I don't see how everyone is missing my point...

I love options. I love strange colors, inset hood crests, big brakes, lsd, and I love seeing collectors geek out over rare cars and rarer versions of them. I NEVER SAID I DIDN'T! Hello? And I never said those options aren't worth more. Yes, a low-miles speed yellow m030 coupe should cost more than a basic nsx, even though the nsx is pretty much a better car (taste aside).

What I don't like is 1) that the 968s with little/no options have dropped so much lower in value than the ones loaded with options; and 2) that many/most of the people in the 968 clubs seem so bored by the ones that have no options, like they couldn't be bothered. Both of these things that I have observed are what I call lame.

Because everyone goes apenuts over options options options, the unoptioned cars go down in cash value and desirability. It's like an elitist club in here sometimes! Come on, all these cars are 99% the same.

Jeff, I seem to have offended you, and of course that was not my intent, I regard you as a friend. But at the same time, if you want to give all of the attention to all the "special" cars, the least you can do is not bite my head off for revering a "normal" car because I used a word you don't like.
Arash,
Seriously, I'm not offended. You seem like a great guy and I enjoy your posts. That said, you used the word "lame" and I took exception (and so did many others) with that categorization about a natural market condition. No "head biting,", just a simple difference of opinion. 968s are so rare that I think they are all special. Sure, does an all leather, 1 of 1 color, M030 get me excited, yeah, I'm a production feature guy and that's the stuff I like. Many others feel the same way so that is why I post the cars when they show up. Nothing against the red coupe that is for sale, I think it is great and hope it finds a new owner. Go back and see my first post on this thread, it was nothing but MHO on the market value of the car, I never said anything bad about the car. It looks great. It is just when that 1 of 2, 1 year only turquoise coupe shows up I find that more interesting. It's just the way I am and others seem to find it interesting as well.

So, all's cool and I hope the OP gets big bucks for his red tip coupe!!!
Thanks
Jeff

Quick Reply: Thoughts on what my car is worth?