968 Forum 1992-1995

having the same problem (help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 AM
968parm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having the same problem (help)

So I'm having the same problem that I had before. The battery keeps dying completely even after I got a new alternator. It's been a week since I got the new alternator installed and yesterday while I was driving back home the car just died on me. Any idea what it might back or what's causing this?

-Parm
Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a grounding issue. Is the car stick or auto?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:50 PM
968parm
Track Day

Stick
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

We just solved the same problem on my brother's VW.

First, with the key off, disconnect the battery negative, and put an ammeter in series to connect the terminal to the battery. This will measure the minimum current draw. It should be less than 5mA. If it is, then maybe your battery is bad. If it's more, then continue. Note how high your current is, so if it's 15mA, you have 10mA to find.

Take out all your fuses and use the ammeter in the fuse sockets to see which one draws current. Hopefully you find it. If you don't, you need to disconnect your starter and alternator cables (which come directly from the battery) and put your meter in series to see if maybe one of these cables is grounding out. On my bro's VW, the alternator had an internal short, and it was drawing about 12mA with the car off.

An alternative to pulling all the fuses is to leave your ammeter connected at the battery (alligator clips?) and pull one fuse at a time, looking for a sudden drop in current draw.

Good luck!

Last edited by FRporscheman; 09-02-2011 at 02:54 AM. Reason: added "at the battery"
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
We just solved the same problem on my brother's VW.

First, with the key off, disconnect the battery negative, and put an ammeter in series to connect the terminal to the battery. This will measure the minimum current draw. It should be less than 5mA. If it is, then maybe your battery is bad. If it's more, then continue. Note how high your current is, so if it's 15mA, you have 10mA to find.

Take out all your fuses and use the ammeter in the fuse sockets to see which one draws current. Hopefully you find it. If you don't, you need to disconnect your starter and alternator cables (which come directly from the battery) and put your meter in series to see if maybe one of these cables is grounding out. On my bro's VW, the alternator had an internal short, and it was drawing about 12mA with the car off.

An alternative to pulling all the fuses is to leave your ammeter connected (alligator clips?) and pull one fuse at a time, looking for a sudden drop in current draw.

Good luck!
Look at the brain on this guy!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:03 AM
968parm
Track Day

Well the battery is brand new and I got it checked too, its still good!
but i'll continue and give it a shot

Thanks, Arash
Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
bbain
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The battery on my car kept dying a few years ago and it turned out to be the light under the hood not going off. The switch was getting stuck and when the hood closed it would not turn the light off. I cleaned the switch and everything works great.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Trevor!

968parm, I just reread my post and something was ambiguous - at the end, when I say leave your alligator clips connected, I meant to say connected between the battery negative and the car's negative cable. Good luck.

bbain, you just reminded me I had the same issue with one of my cars, and I guess mine was too far gone to fix with cleaning, so I just left it disconnected and taped up the wire which went to it. I have a bite-sized () LED flashlight in the console anyway so I can live without a hood lamp.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:29 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the gauge on the dash work?

Quick Reply: having the same problem (help)