968 Forum 1992-1995

Hatch side trim repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hatch side trim repair

Has anyone successfully repaired the hatch side trim pieces? It looks like there was an attempt to reattach the metal stud plates at one point and it's failed. The one on the driver's side is now barely hanging on and I was going to remove it this weekend before it completely breaks off.

If you have had success in repairing it, what did you use? I'm heading towards Lord Fusor 116.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Ideally you want to use something with a little flex, like the glue they use to install windshields. Works like a charm.
Raj
Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Interesting idea. I hadn't even thought about using urethane. I just ordered Lord Fusor 310A/B from McMaster. From what I was finding through various searches was failed attempts using epoxies from the local parts stores, including JB Weld.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hadn't even thought about using urethane.
We use it all the time for this repair ... nice quick and easy job, just make sure you buy black urethane otherwise it will look like a DIY bathroom job
Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 AM
CurtP
Drifting

I did the repair on Tuesday. The factory used urethane, not epoxy. At least that's what was on mine. I didn't think urethane had enough strength in tension when applied to such a small area as the stud mounts, so I opted for the Lord 310. I removed all the old urethane (and epoxy from the PO), cleaned the mating surfaces and wiped everything down with DX. I also removed the rubber trim while working on them. I did leave a couple of the studs alone so it would line up correctly on the car while I set the other ones. Once they set, I removed excess so the trim would sit flush agains the glass and painted the back side of the trim with Blitz Black. Once the paint dried, I used weatherstrip adhesive to reattach the rubber trim and installed. I haven't painted the outside surfaces yet. I wanted to make sure the repairs hold, then I'll remove everything, strip off the rubber trim again, prep and paint.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curt - How did this hold up for you?

I need to fix mine and it looks like from reading this that epoxy is not going to do it.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 AM
CurtP
Drifting

So-so. They're all holding except for the studs at the top of the trim piece (the ones that only have half of the backing plate). I don't know if my prep was inadequate or if I tightened them too much. I'll be pulling them back off soon, but this time I'm going to use cold-set urethane.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to a body shop supply store about this and they recommended a certain type of urethane as well. When I asked if it would be strong enough he said that they use the same stuff to glue their paint mixers to the floor of the shop to keep them from moving.

Quick Reply: Hatch side trim repair