Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Great read and I whole heartedly agree 100%

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-matters.html
Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about that.... In the past few years/months I have been screwed over by Rennlisters with well over 1000K posts. Sad to say but you are a stand up guy/gal or you are not! Paid membership and posts mean nothing.

Karma knows who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MJC
Old 03-24-2011, 11:03 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah ive found dealing with people who are the most active is the better guide. but i do see people who aren't members with high post counts and i have to wonder why...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Raj, I respectfully and completely disagree. In fact it angers me when Rennlist members demand that non-members pay for memberships because I think it's really petty and hurts the spirit of this community. I've noticed that the 993 forum is the worst at doing this to new posters and they act like some kind of mob coming to collect their dues. I don't think there's a correlation in the value provided by members and non-members and I could begin naming names of members who provide little to nothing besides their $19.99 per year as well as non-members who provide great value. How can you quantify help from a non-member who offers their garage and tools to wrench with you for the weekend? Besides, it's not like the membership dues go back to those providing help or valuable information...it goes to the coffers of Internet Brands, a publicly held corporation and I don't think they're necessarily deserving because the value comes from other users, not IB management.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Andral951_S
Instructor

Well said...
Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Raj, I respectfully and completely disagree. In fact it angers me when Rennlist members demand that non-members pay for memberships because I think it's really petty and hurts the spirit of this community. I've noticed that the 993 forum is the worst at doing this to new posters and they act like some kind of mob coming to collect their dues. I don't think there's a correlation in the value provided by members and non-members and I could begin naming names of members who provide little to nothing besides their $19.99 per year as well as non-members who provide great value. How can you quantify help from a non-member who offers their garage and tools to wrench with you for the weekend? Besides, it's not like the membership dues go back to those providing help or valuable information...it goes to the coffers of Internet Brands, a publicly held corporation and I don't think they're necessarily deserving because the value comes from other users, not IB management.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm with the vast majority of Rennlisters on this. $17.99 is a movie and popcorn, two issues of Excellence, or a couple of drinks out. What's the big deal about $17.99?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Andral951_S
Instructor

I am not sure the real issue is the $17.99, to some degree some felt more of a need to pay the membership dues when John D ran the site and the lesser than thou standard for non-members. I pay a membership just to get some people off my back.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
ninefourfourt
Advanced

There is obviously both sides to this discusssion, and I'm going to try and put myself right in the middle. As currently an unpaid memeber, I started lurking and joined this forum to learn a little bit more about the 968 line. As a former 944 Turbo owner, I never got into the forum scene. I joined an Acura Integra forum when I bought my daily driver over two years ago to learn more about the car and see what modifications people did to them. Since joining (unpaid) I have been on the Acura site maybe a dozen times. I still own my integra, but the passion and the community on that particular site was just not there for me. Free is good to get people onto the site and test the waters to see if this is something that they want to stick with for a while.

I am passionate about Porsches however. And am about 90% sure that a 968 will be my next vehicle purchase. Life has been known to throw me a curve ball or two though. (Porsche got put on hold last year cause a teenager was more interested in her cell phone and t-boned my wife's new car at the time when she breezed through a red light).

Once the new 968 is purchased, I have every intention of shelling out the measly $17.99 to join because I will be more 'invested' in the 968 community. This site is a great resource, well worth the knowledge, well worth the friendships that it offers, and if anything the $17.99 will get me a cool avatar because who doesn't like showing of their pride and joy!

I usually don't rant like this. So thanks for reading. And I don't want to start any personal conflicts with any members, paid or unpaid. This is just my personal two cents.

-Ryan
Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll probably renew but it's not the no-brainer it used to be now that it's an IB site. $18 is not a lot of money but it could be used for something other than supporting this site and there may well be smarter choices for many people.

$18 is not a lot of money but would you light a $20 on fire? Or mail it to someone you did not like? There are probably a few good local charities that could use that money. No reason to waste it.

At this point supporting RL is a simple business transaction to support a business relationship and to gain access to possibly entertaining or interesting private content. Yes, OK they support our community but having monetized it I do not give them a lot of credit for that. Pay IB money and get value, Yes. Give them money to support their selfless hard work? Not so much.

-Joel.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My feeling is, it doesn't give someone the right to always be correct compared to someone who doesn't. It does show support towards forums that gives us something back in return. It's one thing if you are a lurker and post occasionally, but if you post often or daily, how about paying for some useage.
Regards.
Raj

Quick Reply: Great read and I whole heartedly agree 100%