Excellent VIN decoder - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Excellent VIN decoder

Reply

Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 AM
  #61
968turbos2
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hotlanta, GA
Posts: 306
Default

Thanks Jeff! Spot on!
968turbos2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
  #62
jeff968
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeff968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,659
Default

Originally Posted by Protostar1 View Post
Hello,

I just joined this forum and would love the info you have provided for other users so far.

My new car is a 1992 968 coupe, last three VIN digits: 456.

Thank you!

- Nate
Here you go Nate:

NS820456 - 6spd coupe
#396 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#396 of 649 1992 NA 968 coupes
1 of 20 N9 Oak green coupes (pretty rare)
1 of 1!!! N9 Oak green coupes paired with a black interior (17 have the cashmere and 2 have greys and only 1 black, yours!)

Factory options include metallic paint, partial leather, XD4 painted crest center caps, 418 body colored side moldings, 437 full power drivers seat, 490/494 hi-fi sound speakers with amps, 586 Lumbar support, drivers side (only 35 coupes had this option)

Jeff
jeff968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 PM
  #63
Protostar1
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
Here you go Nate:

NS820456 - 6spd coupe
#396 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#396 of 649 1992 NA 968 coupes
1 of 20 N9 Oak green coupes (pretty rare)
1 of 1!!! N9 Oak green coupes paired with a black interior (17 have the cashmere and 2 have greys and only 1 black, yours!)

Factory options include metallic paint, partial leather, XD4 painted crest center caps, 418 body colored side moldings, 437 full power drivers seat, 490/494 hi-fi sound speakers with amps, 586 Lumbar support, drivers side (only 35 coupes had this option)

Jeff
That is great! Thank you for the information.

I have the original window sticker and was interested to see what options you would come back with were ordered on the car.

Unfortunately, it appears the drivers seat was replaced with a common 4-way seat lacking lumbar support. Though it looks very rare, anyone have an idea where I might find a replacement seat that is correct for the car as ordered? My current seat is in pretty nice shape, but has some age, so the original must have failed some time ago.

The original stereo was also replaced with a Boxster item, though I would suspect this is less of a concern for someone wanting a bone stock original car should I sell it some day (some day many many years from now!).

- Nate
Protostar1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:04 PM
  #64
jeff968
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeff968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,659
Default

Originally Posted by Protostar1 View Post
That is great! Thank you for the information.

I have the original window sticker and was interested to see what options you would come back with were ordered on the car.

Unfortunately, it appears the drivers seat was replaced with a common 4-way seat lacking lumbar support. Though it looks very rare, anyone have an idea where I might find a replacement seat that is correct for the car as ordered? My current seat is in pretty nice shape, but has some age, so the original must have failed some time ago.

- Nate
Nate,
I assume what I listed matched your window sticker? As for your seat, I continue to hear about original selling dealer shenanigans where parts were switched in order to sell a car so maybe the dealer took the seat out and swapped with another car???
Jeff
jeff968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 PM
  #65
Protostar1
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by jeff968 View Post
Nate,
I assume what I listed matched your window sticker? As for your seat, I continue to hear about original selling dealer shenanigans where parts were switched in order to sell a car so maybe the dealer took the seat out and swapped with another car???
Jeff
Jeff,

Yes, your information matched my window sticker. I believe the original owner was very neurotic about the car (even have a plaque for a 1st place in a PCA car show!) so it would surprise me that the seat was not replaced with the original equipment. I also have what appears to be 100% of the records, and I did not see mention of a seat failure. So maybe you are spot on with the dealer switcheroo?

- Nate
Protostar1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM
  #66
aerolithe
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 71
Default

Hi Jeff

I am looking at another 968 cab. She was imported from Japon in 2009 and would like to know what are the difference if you know. I notice the rear and front bumperret are not there vin WP0ZZZ96ZNS830589

Thanks

marc
aerolithe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 AM
  #67
jeff968
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeff968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,659
Default

Originally Posted by aerolithe View Post
Hi Jeff

I am looking at another 968 cab. She was imported from Japon in 2009 and would like to know what are the difference if you know. I notice the rear and front bumperret are not there vin WP0ZZZ96ZNS830589

Thanks

marc
Marc,
I really don't know the differences on the 968s from Japan. Maybe others might. At least the steering wheel is on the correct side

My database is only North American 968 coupes and cabs.
Jeff
jeff968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM
  #68
aerolithe
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 71
Default

Thanks appreciated the help

Marc
aerolithe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
  #69
tokyopav
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 258
Default

Originally Posted by aerolithe View Post
Hi Jeff I am looking at another 968 cab. She was imported from Japon in 2009 and would like to know what are the difference if you know. I notice the rear and front bumperret are not there vin WP0ZZZ96ZNS830589 Thanks marc
Pretty sure that's a German VIN number. I have troubles finding all the option code info.
tokyopav is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 PM
  #70
zwoobah
User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 128
Default

Jeff, could you decode this one?
WP0AA2961SS820258 mfg 6/94.
Looking at buying it. Needs some love but has a fresh t-belt and runs well.
zwoobah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 AM
  #71
jeff968
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeff968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,659
Default

Originally Posted by zwoobah View Post
Jeff, could you decode this one?
WP0AA2961SS820258 mfg 6/94.
Looking at buying it. Needs some love but has a fresh t-belt and runs well.
Sure thing:

SS820258 - 6spd coupe
#2,173 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#198 of 259 1995 NA 968 coupes
1 of 64 K6 Aventurine metallic coupes
1 of 33 K6 Aventurine metallic coupes paired with a cashmere and black interior

Factory options include metallic paint, LC partial leather in cashmere, XD4 painted crest center caps, 437 full power drivers seat, XC9 dark rootwood 6spd shift **** (only 37 coupes had this option)

The car is a 718 car which means it was originally born a 1994. This 968 is actually the second to the last 718 car for 1995. After #259 they built 60 more true 95s to finish the run.

Jeff
jeff968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 PM
  #72
Violator
User
 
Violator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: L.I. N.Y.
Posts: 8
Default

Jeff can also do wpoaa296 XRS 820186
Violator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
  #73
jeff968
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeff968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,659
Default

Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Jeff can also do wpoaa296 XRS 820186
Here you go:

RS820186 - 6spd coupe
#1,383 of 2,234 North American 968 coupes
#126 of 718 1994 NA 968 coupes
1 of 595 A1 Black coupes (most popular color on 968 coupe)
1 of 14 A1 Black coupes paired with light grey/black interior

Factory options include TS partial leather in light grey/black, XD4 painted crest center caps, 437 full power drivers seat, 692 CD changer.

The car is a 718 car which means it was originally born a 1993 (I believe a May 1993 build, checlk the door jam VIN sticker for me) and reVINed by Porsche to be a 1994.

Jeff

BTW, *** All I need for a 968 production profile is coupe or cab, year, last 3 of VIN ***
jeff968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
  #74
Violator
User
 
Violator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: L.I. N.Y.
Posts: 8
Default

Thanks! Yes 5/93 is correct. The light grey/black interior variations did they also include options for seat color as well as carpet ?
Violator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 PM
  #75
jeff968
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jeff968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,659
Default

Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Thanks! Yes 5/93 is correct. The light grey/black interior variations did they also include options for seat color as well as carpet ?
Attached is a photo of the code TS light grey/black. This is what you would get in the standard configuration. Now, deviated carpet (in a different color, most likely black instead of the light grey which is almost white) was an option. You could also change things up and get different materials and piping but I can't see that you would change the seat color. If that is what you are seeing I'll bet the originals were swapped out. That color is almost white so it gets dirty very quickly. Looks awesome when new.
Attached Images  
jeff968 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
noSTICKnoSALE
997 Forum
147
05-14-2017 11:23 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Norsk
2
05-01-2017 02:51 PM
LateBraking
997 GT2/GT3 Forum
1
02-24-2017 09:19 PM
Jamie140
Rennlist Forum Glitches - post them here. Test posts are permitted.
1
01-25-2016 07:22 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: