968 Forum 1992-1995

Another 968 vs 928 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox944
As for the 928 being an old mans Porsche, i have to disagree with that statement as well. The 928 weighs about as much as a BMW E46 M3 or an Infiniti G37 Coupe, and depending on model...is about as powerfull (give or take a few ponies). They are all GT cars. I wouldnt consider either an old mans car. In fact, i wouldnt consider any well balanced/powerfull GT an old mans car. The reallity is, i doubt the median age of 928 and 968 owners is much different.
Excellent points. I currently own a E46 M3 vert as a daily driver and can see the similarities between the 2 cars. I also consider an M3 a GT and do get flack from teh M3 boards for it. That said, the car is very quick and decent in handling, not 968 level but pretty decent.
Also, old mans is a relative term. I could be considered an old man by many (early 40's) while I don't feel so old. I consider people in 50's to be old. I am sure, my stance will change when I get into 50's .
Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For me a 928 has to have something like a cup wheel for it to look good. There are also some 928aftermarket fender flares that look really good if they are done right. For an older 928 I would need those two things to be happy with it, and throw in a 5 speed as well.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Damian is 100% correct regarding the cost to maintain the 928's. Absolutely beautiful car when new and remains so today except parts and shop costs are extremely expensive.
Bull****.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment on general parts costs. However, it looks like you'll pay more for a used 968 engine or transmission (if you can find one) than you would for a 928 (excluding GT and GTS). Aside from the 2X on some maintenance items due to the extra 4 cylinders, I don't see why there would be a difference.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 PM
gsmarrara
Instructor

The difference between the 928 and the 968...well...40!!! And between the 928 and the new and amazing 918...well....10!!! I can only dream about how cool will be the future 908...but so far, considering the 918 price, nothing beats the 928!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:26 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by EspritS4s
Anyone have any pictures of the two side by side?
Not side by side but pretty close.....my buddy 90- 928 S4 Japanes import & my 93-968 CDN model.
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 PM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I consider people in 50's to be old. I am sure, my stance will change when I get into 50's .
Now wait just a cotton pickin minute! 50's is OLD to you? Raj I've known you for 10+ years, that hurts. I'm 51, and get more fun out of messing with cars now than I did when I was 20! The nice thing is, I get to do it with my 20 yr old son who has OCD, (Obsessive Car Disorder). He scratches his itch with a 97 Supra TT.

Back on topic, when I was a much younger kid, 35ish for Raj, I bought an 86' 928 S from Sunset Porsche here in Beaverton. It was immaculately maintained by Sunset, 30k miles, and it became my daily driver for a while and I moved my 77' 930 that was lightly modded over to strictly track fun. The 928 was obviously slow in comparison to the 930, but by the end of a freeway onramp it would get a head of steam up and it moved fairly well for a big fella. It's just so stinking heavy in comparison to the nimble 968 that handling is radically different. The interiors are also a bit cramped for such a huge car, and extremely dated now days. Sorta like Enterprise bridge on Star Trek original series vs Next Gen Enterprise. There are roughly 3 or 4 dead cows worth of leather in there, covering EVERYTHING, and by now it's all shrinking and warping dashboards, door panels and consoles into all sorts of interesting shapes. Then there was the maintenance. Holy moley, timing belts are just the beginning, and you do NOT want to put it off and break those belts, 32 valves gone, easily more than the value of the car to repair now. The electrical gremlins as these cars age can be just maddening for someone used to stone reliable. The 928's rank right up there with 7 series bimmers for sheer number of electric motors, switches, and actuators. Keeping them all working is literally a full time gig. The 928 is a great car when admired from afar, and I have great respect for anyone brave enough now to care for one, but keep it far from me.

Had a pal in Texas I used to instruct DE's with, James Morrison. He was a paraplegic from a motorcycle accident, paralyzed lower back down. He LOVED 928's, had 6 of them at one point in time I believe. He instructed wonderfully, and drove with us in the Instructor run groups in his 92' 928 GT. He had it fitted with hand controls and was able to hustle that beast around TWS with the best of us. He commissioned a shop in Austin to take one of his other whales and turn it into a PCA Club Race car in the GT classes. They essentially turned it into a 928 version of the 968 Turbo RS. Totally stripped interior, fully caged, motons, halon, the works. Not sure how well he did with it but that was his dream, to Club Race and by gawd he did it in an automatic trans 928.

Cheers
Mikey
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Lol Mike, now I myself consider myself old. When teenagers call you uncle, you know you are considered old .
Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Lol Mike, now I myself consider myself old. When teenagers call you uncle, you know you are considered old .
Funny but true Raj. You also know you are getting old when you spend more time polishing your car than driving it
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick_968
Funny but true Raj. You also know you are getting old when you spend more time polishing your car than driving it
Lol and polishing will cause back pain
Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey, just *looking* at cars occasionally hurts me anymore.

Back on topic, I currently own a 968 and a 928. Each is special in its own way, I am not sure you'd go wrong with either choice. However, from personal experience and I'll tell anyone who says otherwise that they are full of $h!t, 928's are more expensive and difficult that the 968 to work on/repair any day of the week. I've done plenty of my own work on both over the years, and I can buy parts at wholesale cost through distribution, so trust me, I know what I am talking about.

My preference, if I could only have one car (and it wasn't a Boxster Spyder, which I am jone-sing on pretty hard these days), I'd take a 968 cab. NO ONE who isn't a Porsche enthusiast knows what it is. Even now, with a 22.5 year old car (mine was built 11/91), I have people compliment me on my new Porsche.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

I've had the pleasure of driving both.

the 968 isn't just a superior car, but the far-superior car imo. not only because of what it is...
but the potential.. the car begins with precise handling and astonishing grip, but
change to really fat wheels and tires, and it's Mardi Gras....
but, before too long, you're wondering what it would be like to have more power.
the factory engine is good, but, after just a few turns, this thing is teasing you about what a
proper supercar feels like... but, it doesn't whisper about needing more power; it screams it.

many owners wrestle with what to do about this state of affairs... but, realistic options are few. a turbo or v8 looks like
one of the best cars you could drive; and the feeling of a 968 blessed with enough power must be–sublime.

unfortunately, it takes a tremendous effort to get it.... especially, compared to the price of the factory kit roller.
the few who do know what the 968's potential truly feels like, are somewhat reserved to say. they just grin.
people consider upgrading the power-plant, weigh the options... but often, move on to fast, ready-made cars.
who knows, maybe the driver of the next R8 or Aston Martin you see once had a 944 or 968.

the other car is heavy, but has some fine points. it has a nice ride on the highway. or even a smooth
country road. it's solid. but even with the symphonic 32-valves, the 928's most dominant feature
isn't with some part of the car, or the sum of it's parts – but rather, the costs to keep it on the road.
and instead of leaving the third-generation owner (of moderate means) without a second thought about what
to bring on the next long trip, the car that's going, most likely will be the other P-car in the garage – the 968.

Originally Posted by EspritS4s

Anyone have any pictures of the two side by side?

no, but I could cruise over.

Last edited by odurandina; 02-07-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quick968
Now wait just a cotton pickin minute! 50's is OLD to you? Raj I've known you for 10+ years, that hurts. I'm 51, and get more fun out of messing with cars now than I did when I was 20! The nice thing is, I get to do it with my 20 yr old son who has OCD, (Obsessive Car Disorder). He scratches his itch with a 97 Supra TT. Back on topic, when I was a much younger kid, 35ish for Raj, I bought an 86' 928 S from Sunset Porsche here in Beaverton. It was immaculately maintained by Sunset, 30k miles, and it became my daily driver for a while and I moved my 77' 930 that was lightly modded over to strictly track fun. The 928 was obviously slow in comparison to the 930, but by the end of a freeway onramp it would get a head of steam up and it moved fairly well for a big fella. It's just so stinking heavy in comparison to the nimble 968 that handling is radically different. The interiors are also a bit cramped for such a huge car, and extremely dated now days. Sorta like Enterprise bridge on Star Trek original series vs Next Gen Enterprise. There are roughly 3 or 4 dead cows worth of leather in there, covering EVERYTHING, and by now it's all shrinking and warping dashboards, door panels and consoles into all sorts of interesting shapes. Then there was the maintenance. Holy moley, timing belts are just the beginning, and you do NOT want to put it off and break those belts, 32 valves gone, easily more than the value of the car to repair now. The electrical gremlins as these cars age can be just maddening for someone used to stone reliable. The 928's rank right up there with 7 series bimmers for sheer number of electric motors, switches, and actuators. Keeping them all working is literally a full time gig. The 928 is a great car when admired from afar, and I have great respect for anyone brave enough now to care for one, but keep it far from me. Had a pal in Texas I used to instruct DE's with, James Morrison. He was a paraplegic from a motorcycle accident, paralyzed lower back down. He LOVED 928's, had 6 of them at one point in time I believe. He instructed wonderfully, and drove with us in the Instructor run groups in his 92' 928 GT. He had it fitted with hand controls and was able to hustle that beast around TWS with the best of us. He commissioned a shop in Austin to take one of his other whales and turn it into a PCA Club Race car in the GT classes. They essentially turned it into a 928 version of the 968 Turbo RS. Totally stripped interior, fully caged, motons, halon, the works. Not sure how well he did with it but that was his dream, to Club Race and by gawd he did it in an automatic trans 928. Cheers Mikey
Mikey, your friend must be a pretty neat guy. I could never o as well in life as he did simply because of his sure tenacity and guts. I wish I knew him. He must be pretty darn cool.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:19 PM
EspritS4s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quick968

Had a pal in Texas I used to instruct DE's with, James Morrison. He was a paraplegic from a motorcycle accident, paralyzed lower back down. He LOVED 928's, had 6 of them at one point in time I believe. He instructed wonderfully, and drove with us in the Instructor run groups in his 92' 928 GT. He had it fitted with hand controls and was able to hustle that beast around TWS with the best of us. He commissioned a shop in Austin to take one of his other whales and turn it into a PCA Club Race car in the GT classes. They essentially turned it into a 928 version of the 968 Turbo RS. Totally stripped interior, fully caged, motons, halon, the works. Not sure how well he did with it but that was his dream, to Club Race and by gawd he did it in an automatic trans 928.

Cheers
Mikey
James Morrison is pcar928fan here on Rennlist.

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...car928fan.html

His 928 collection as at 12 currently...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:56 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I own both. Wanted & watched 968 Cabs for a dozen yrs prior to getting mine a couple yrs ago. Something about the unique look of the 968 Cab always had me hooked. They are simply beautiful Car Art, and I'd always want one in my garage. The limited production makes them unique and rare & I like that I have something that not everyone has. If I didn't use my 928 for DEs on the track, I'd love to have a 968 coupe for that.

Never gave a 928 much thought prior to owning one. Now I've had three 928s over the last 9-10 yrs. First one I sat in & drove looked like an airplane cockpit to me sitting inside. When the owner opened the hood, it was scary to look at there was so much going on in there. Then my 1st driving impression was it needed some more Umph from 0-10 mph. That was an '83 16v. 928s are like 968s in the ability and room for more horses & getty up! I would invite any one to find me a car with as much pull from 70-120+ mph as a 928, especially for a car built 20-35 yrs ago. It pulls like a freight train and it just doesn't want to stop. And with it being in production for 18 yrs, you have a vast difference in the HP & torque as the production models progressed.

I removed the cats & installed an X-pipe on my '85, love the gutty sound of that V-8. Wife doesn't even like to ride in it cause of how loud it is to her. Maybe that was part of the plan! Anytime I even consider the thought of ever selling it, all I have to do is crank it up, much less drive it. My German Muscle Car indeed. And though they are the perfect car to take a cross country tour in, they can also be very fun on the twistys too. For me, I think a 928 is more addicting somehow. Maybe for me that is because I always wanted the 968 Cab, so it was always in the road ahead of me waiting for me to find the right one. But the 928 just flat out ambushed me and it won't let go! I really couldn't imagine not having a 928 either. They are truly Porsche Car Art as well, a timeless design, and way ahead of its time. And also unique enough to rarely see another one on the road. Aside from the cost differences, I wouldn't trade either for 90% of the new Porsches rolling off the assembly line.

Regarding repair costs, ANY 20-35 yr old car that hasn't been maintained properly will be a nightmare, even a Toyota. Of course parts for 20-35 yr old Porsches aren't cheap for the 928, nor the 968 either, compared to the Toyota. If you are taking your 968/928 to the Porsche Dealer, then you'd better have deep pockets. If you can do some work yourself, then that makes ownership much easier. I can honestly say that other than typical maintenance, and repairs that would expected due to the age of the car, none of the three 928s I've owned had any more repairs than about any other cars I've owned. And the people here on RL have made all the difference in the ownership of these great cars. Not much you can want or need to do to your car that someone hasn't already done & has a How-To write up on it.

Quick Reply: Another 968 vs 928 thread