One headlight occasionally sticks up after turning lights off

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One headlight occasionally sticks up after turning lights off

Hi there,

I recently noticed my left front light will remain stuck open after I close the light switch. Sometimes I turn the switch off/on and then it goes down -

Tonight I had to actually just push it down back in place....

Anyone know what I can check (or) what the issue might be?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Your car is probably attracted to a nearby hot sports car and it's winking.

It sounds like the headlight swinging mechanism is jammed up and needs to be cleaned and/or lubed. I've never taken a 968 headlight apart that much so I'm not sure how to go about doing that. The WSM covers it though.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
It sounds like the headlight swinging mechanism is jammed up and needs to be cleaned and/or lubed. I've never taken a 968 headlight apart that much so I'm not sure how to go about doing that. The WSM covers it though.
To get to the mechanism:

- Start with the headlight in the down position.

- Lift the hood.

- Reach behind the headlight and push it up until it reaches the normal deployed position.

- Still holding the headlight from behind, pull the little black handle inside the engine bay right next to the headlight. This will release the headlight to deploy past its normal extension, exposing the mechanism underneath.

You will see the linkage that raises and lowers the headlight and the cylindrical electrical motor it's connected to. Pop the cap off of the top of the motor (if it's even still there) and spin the **** underneath. I can't remember whether it goes clockwise or counterclockwise, but it should be obvious when you try it, because it spins easily one way and not the other. You can work the linkage through a full cycle to see/feel whether anything's sticking. I'd check the nut that holds the linkage to the electrical motor first, though. Either way, if you choose to lubricate anything in the linkage, you should be able to spray it right on each joint without disassembling or extracting anything.

I'd be more suspicious of the relay, but maybe that's just me and my paranoia of electrical gremlins.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDS968
To get to the mechanism:

- Start with the headlight in the down position.

- Lift the hood.

- Reach behind the headlight and push it up until it reaches the normal deployed position.

- Still holding the headlight from behind, pull the little black handle inside the engine bay right next to the headlight. This will release the headlight to deploy past its normal extension, exposing the mechanism underneath.

You will see the linkage that raises and lowers the headlight and the cylindrical electrical motor it's connected to. Pop the cap off of the top of the motor (if it's even still there) and spin the **** underneath. I can't remember whether it goes clockwise or counterclockwise, but it should be obvious when you try it, because it spins easily one way and not the other. You can work the linkage through a full cycle to see/feel whether anything's sticking. I'd check the nut that holds the linkage to the electrical motor first, though. Either way, if you choose to lubricate anything in the linkage, you should be able to spray it right on each joint without disassembling or extracting anything.

I'd be more suspicious of the relay, but maybe that's just me and my paranoia of electrical gremlins.

Thank you I'll give that a try and let you know....
Old 10-27-2010, 01:11 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the headlight needs lube is my guess. does it squeak when going up ?

a lot of old parts need lube.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
Thank you I'll give that a try and let you know....
If that doesn't work, I'd try to hunt down somebody else in your area with a 968 and convince him to trade headlight relays for a day or two. If your headlight starts working and his stops working, you've got your answer.

Originally Posted by odurandina
a lot of old parts need lube.
You just need to figure out how to get her properly in the mood, and don't rush things.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also a hinge by the front of the car that is under the part of the fender where it connects to the front bumper. It is next to impossible to lube without removing the front bumper. Nine times out of ten it is that hinge sticking from the cars that I have worked on.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
dougs968
OkRider
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 105 Posts

+1 on the relay. It fixed mine after spray lube alone didn't.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:39 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougs968
+1 on the relay. It fixed mine after spray lube alone didn't.
Sorry to ask if this sounds stupid - what is a headlight relay?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:11 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
There is also a hinge by the front of the car that is under the part of the fender where it connects to the front bumper. It is next to impossible to lube without removing the front bumper. Nine times out of ten it is that hinge sticking from the cars that I have worked on.
Is this what your talking about!!!

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:14 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
Sorry to ask if this sounds stupid - what is a headlight relay?
Open up your fusebox under the hood and check the list under the lid, it's one of the little boxes plugged in there.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

the headlight relay is the big silver one, it has four relays on a p.c. board in the can ( two up, two down ). Be extremely careful when removing or installing, it's easy to tweak it, try to jack it up slowly with a small prying tool. My car had the same issue, I went over the p.c. board with a loupe and a soldering iron, found a half-dozen cracked solder joints...

Donn
Old 10-29-2010, 02:19 PM
968workaholic
Pro

No it is more forward than that, literally it is where the bumper connects to the front fender. You need to determine if it is the lifting mechanism that isn't returning, implying the relay, or if just the headlight isn't dropping. I will try to find a picture of the hinge I am talking about.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:33 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDS968
Open up your fusebox under the hood and check the list under the lid, it's one of the little boxes plugged in there.

Cool thanks for the picture. Once I find the relay I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace it?

I don't know anyone else with a 968 around me (Toronto, Ontario)...but if they are not to expensive, I wouldn't mind buying a new one....
Old 10-30-2010, 02:15 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

I want to say they're about $100, but I could easily be misremembering. And I don't know whether parts prices are any different in Canadia.

Quick Reply: One headlight occasionally sticks up after turning lights off