First Performance Upgrade Question - Stock Porsche 968

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:14 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Performance Upgrade Question - Stock Porsche 968

Hi everyone,

I have a stock '93 coupe looking to start the upgrade process to make the car faster....is there any recommended sequence that I should start with that makes sense so that I can make sure the performance upgrades are done correctly?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

What do you mean by faster?

Faster around a race track?
Faster from stop light to stop light?
Greater top speed?
Faster around an autocross course?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Hi Tim - This is my everyday car, not intended to drive on a track....I suspect faster by acceleration first from stop light to stop light.....good point thanks for clarifying this...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck making it go faster. Unless you force-feed it, the mods are not worth the $$. You will get minimal returns at best.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
I have a stock '93 coupe looking to start the upgrade process to make the car faster....is there any recommended sequence that I should start with that makes sense so that I can make sure the performance upgrades are done correctly?
Reduce weight.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
Hi Tim - This is my everyday car, not intended to drive on a track....I suspect faster by acceleration first from stop light to stop light.....good point thanks for clarifying this...
First upgrade that most of us do is the air boxe mode(no cost)-K&N filter-a Promax or RS barn chip ,then some suspension mods not extreme , a well sort out suspension with the rigth tires make's the car very enjoyable to drive as a DD.For the rigth steering feeling go with an SC steering wheel from Sunset.What I'm talking about here is basic mods ,if you really want to go all out like 968 TurboS mention a Super Charger is the way to go,but we're talking money here. Here is some of my mods ,tell you what this as far as I'll go, not planning nothing else since I want ,first to keep my car as original as possible & secondly enjoye it for a long time.And something else if you ever drive that 968 to it's limits you'll realize that you don't really need more HP.Faster acceleration from stop ligth to stop ligth will cost you a bundle of money with a 968 they are not meant to be dragsters.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 PM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

I'd first do chip, because stock chip is so dull.
then better swaybars (m030), or, this depends of course what is the condition of your car.
basic maintenance, and your car will feel quite nice in its stock form.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by ernie9468
First upgrade that most of us do is the air boxe mode(no cost)-K&N filter-a Promax or RS barn chip ,then some suspension mods not extreme , a well sort out suspension with the rigth tires make's the car very enjoyable to drive as a DD.For the rigth steering feeling go with an SC steering wheel from Sunset.What I'm talking about here is basic mods ,if you really want to go all out like 968 TurboS mention a Super Charger is the way to go,but we're talking money here. Here is some of my mods ,tell you what this as far as I'll go, not planning nothing else since I want ,first to keep my car as original as possible & secondly enjoye it for a long time.And something else if you ever drive that 968 to it's limits you'll realize that you don't really need more HP.Faster acceleration from stop ligth to stop ligth will cost you a bundle of money with a 968 they are not meant to be dragsters.
Thank you for the suggestions....
What kind of suspension upgrade do you suggest along with tires? I currently have 16 inch alloys on all seasons...
How much HP will this increase if I make these modifications?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

What kind of chip should I purchase - RS or Promax?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Try this:

Step 1: Tires [this is always step 1]. I'm currently on a new set of Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, and I'm liking them very much. They're pretty cheap on Tire Rack. The Continental ExtremeContact DW is even cheaper and it's got excellent reviews, plus it seems to be a bit more of an all-rounder instead of a dry-only tire, you might want to try that one out (in fact I'd very much like it if you'd be the guinea pig!)

Step 2: Reduce weight. After tires, this is the absolute best performance enhancement. It will improve acceleration, braking, cornering, handling, ride quality, even fuel economy. Heavy cars suck.

Step 3: Chip combined with a less restrictive exhaust...try Stahl headers to a catless exhaust with a high-flow muffler.

Step 4: M030 suspension (just the suspension, not the brakes). It won't make your car any faster in a straight line, but it will drive much better.

It's still not going to be any good for drag racing, but it will be an excellent sports car.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDS968
Try this:

Step 1: Tires [this is always step 1]. I'm currently on a new set of Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, and I'm liking them very much. They're pretty cheap on Tire Rack. The Continental ExtremeContact DW is even cheaper and it's got excellent reviews, plus it seems to be a bit more of an all-rounder instead of a dry-only tire, you might want to try that one out (in fact I'd very much like it if you'd be the guinea pig!)

Step 2: Reduce weight. After tires, this is the absolute best performance enhancement. It will improve acceleration, braking, cornering, handling, ride quality, even fuel economy. Heavy cars suck.

Step 3: Chip combined with a less restrictive exhaust...try Stahl headers to a catless exhaust with a high-flow muffler.

Step 4: M030 suspension (just the suspension, not the brakes). It won't make your car any faster in a straight line, but it will drive much better.

It's still not going to be any good for drag racing, but it will be an excellent sports car.

Excellent thank you - I'll try the extremecontact DW...the car is in the shop now I have a small oil leak. I can ask if he can get them - my all season's are Kumho I believe...51 max psi
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Save your pennies for a supercharger and don't bother with a chip or an air filter full of pinholes. That's assuming you are caught up on maintenance so you aren't about to suffer a hugely expensive neglect-based variocam or camshaft belt problem.

Seriously if you want fast (not just quick) save up for the blower or buy a faster car. Or buy a literbike, when you have one all cars under 500 HP seem kinda poochy.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip and the air box mod will cost less than 200 bucks... even cheaper if you find a used chip from one of the guys who have the the SC or turbo route. The will produce a few extra HP's and a good place to start.

The only true way to boost HP is through forced air.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!!!

Last edited by Joel8005; 09-08-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

[QUOTE=miramar_trieste;7880440]Thank you for the suggestions....
What kind of suspension upgrade do you suggest along with tires? I currently have 16 inch alloys on all seasons

[QUOTE=JDS968;7880560]Try this:

Step 1: Tires [this is always step 1]. I'm currently on a new set of Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs, and I'm liking them very much. They're pretty cheap on Tire Rack. The Continental ExtremeContact DW is even cheaper and it's got excellent reviews, plus it seems to be a bit more of an all-rounder instead of a dry-only tire, you might want to try that one out (in fact I'd very much like it if you'd be the guinea pig!

Ok now that you learn all about how to get the HP out of her,let's talk about suspension .Step #1 is rigth on, never had Continental either on my 944 or 968 since I'm a Falken 452 addict, but I know peoples that does & are satisfy with them. But make sure you choose the rigth tires for your style of driving an your area road condition since it will be a DD.Step# 4 is what I got on mine I'm very satisfy with this set up, even at very higth speed the car feel rock solide with minimum lean througth hair pin curves taken at over 80- 90 mph.Now since your gone to buy new tires & maybe upgrad to the M030 I suggest you take a step back & consider getting yourself some 17" wheels,witch is normal when upgrading to M030. Either Cup 1 or Cup 2 wheels -7.5 front with 225-45 zr 17 & 9x17" rear with 255-40 zr17 will be your best combo for street & spirit driving.As far as Promax vs RS Barn we could start a tread that will amount to many pages like it was done before on this forum so let say it's a question of personnal choice ,mine was Promax.But like ( Jfrahm ) was saying before laying down money on those mods make darn sure that your maintenance is done up to date specially the tensioner & pads. Good luck with your ride.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

1. new wheels and tires is like a shock once you put them to the pavement.

2. get the engine maint. done.

3. then the suspension and

4. front brakes

5. get rid of that godawful steering wheel.

6. polish the aluminum engine covers

7. maybe do a rear seat delete.

8. our engines are heavy breathers by design and see astounding performance gains from the installation of the supercharger.

Last edited by odurandina; 09-09-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: First Performance Upgrade Question - Stock Porsche 968