Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

First Performance Upgrade Question - Stock Porsche 968

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave G airbox mod, Promax chip, then clubsport steering wheel, then mo30 sways.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 AM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damian - where can I pick up a ProMax Chip? Expected gains with drop in K&N and exhaust?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with Joel, don't waste money on little items, save for the supercharger kit from 928motorsports.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

+ 1, although the rev limiter is really annoying.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Save your pennies for a supercharger and don't bother with a chip or an air filter full of pinholes. That's assuming you are caught up on maintenance so you aren't about to suffer a hugely expensive neglect-based variocam or camshaft belt problem.

Seriously if you want fast (not just quick) save up for the blower or buy a faster car. Or buy a literbike, when you have one all cars under 500 HP seem kinda poochy.
+2 on the supercharger. This is the best bang for the buck. All other mods will be a waste of $$, since the returns will be minimal.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
+2 on the supercharger. This is the best bang for the buck. All other mods will be a waste of $$, since the returns will be minimal.
I think the jury is still out on the supercharger Why? We have no other data on the gains other than what was published by the manufacturer. The one independent person to run a dyno had miserable results, but that is likely a problem with belt slippage due belt routing on a non AC car. I should have some dyno data soon, and yes, I'm holding my breath and hoping like hell the gains are as advertised.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
1. new wheels and tires is like a shock once you put them to the pavement.

2. get the engine maint. done.

3. then the suspension and

4. front brakes

5. get rid of that godawful steering wheel.

6. polish the aluminum engine covers

7. maybe do a rear seat delete.

8. our engines are heavy breathers by design and see astounding performance gains from the installation of the supercharger.

Thanks for the response. How much is a supercharger and where can I get one?
Old 09-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

I disagree on the suspension and brake upgrades, stock is fine if it is in good condition. M030 is pretty stiff. If you like that sort of thing, fine, but your date probably won't. You cannot IMO really drive any faster on the street with M030 unless you are OK with serious risk of jail time. Straight to jail cornering speeds are possible with the stock suspendies and decent tires. If you are tracking the car, different story, but that is a whole different conversation.

Steering wheel swap - also IMO not wise as it deletes the airbag. This is a contentious issue but also a legal one. It could be that if you do crash and you have removed the airbag you might not get insurance coverage or payout or something. Maybe not but who knows? Also if you have a passenger and you disable the airbags I'm sure they could sue you if you subsequently crash and they are injured. In the eyes of the law you made an illegal modification to defeat a safety device. But it's your car, whatever.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Dave G airbox mod, Promax chip, then clubsport steering wheel, then mo30 sways.
+1

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
______ A supercharger will drain your wallet of approx $6,000.oo for the SFR 378 HP version.Available from Speed Force Racing (ph-619-328-4012) the man you want to talk to is Carl Fausett.I,m giving you infos because you ask for them ,but do not agree with what you want to do.Personally I think your going backward with the way you want to mod your car & will it cost you a bundle of money.You seem to be stuck on the more HP syndrome instead of trying to turn your 968 into an enjoyable driver.A sup will add some 110 hp more to your car, so you better make darn sure that your motor is in tip top shape,your suspension -wheels & tires are capable of handling that kind of power. Joel I kind of agree & disagree about what your saying but if I wanted to be cozy & comfortable I,ll go buy myself on of those super duper Infiniti to sit my "A" in not a 968.What's the use of owning such a car if you can't have fun once in a while ,don't get me wrong I'm 65 yrs old & pass the boy racers stage,but if I find a lonely peace of road with twisties I'll open my machine in all confidence with the suspension set up,wheels & tires I now have on it,and if we were gone to stop at all the little mods we do to our cars most of use on this forum wouldn't be driving 968.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

on the suspension..... i was referring to doing a swaybar, new sway bar bushings, changing the struts and inspecting the control arms... wouldn't mind lowering the car about 5/8"..... but i think i will do that after the supercharger is installed.

the supercharger thread also on this forum page.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...velopment.html
Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ernie9468
______ A supercharger will drain your wallet of approx $6,000.oo for the SFR 378 HP version.Available from Speed Force Racing (ph-619-328-4012) the man you want to talk to is Carl Fausett.
These two do not belong together. Carl owns 928 Motorsports. Both companies sell an SC kit for the 968.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:13 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Lemming
These two do not belong together. Carl owns 928 Motorsports. Both companies sell an SC kit for the 968.
I was refering to Carl Fausett,sorry I got thing mixe up & I apologize to Carl.So how much Carl selling his kit for.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Smile

Originally Posted by miramar_trieste
Sorry I did stear you in the wrong direction about the price of the Supercharcher kit,a stage 1 kit from Carl at "928 Motor Sport" goes for $4,295.00 + $54.00 for shipping. Once more I apologize to you & Carl for giving the wrong infos .And thank___ Lemming___ for putting me on the rigth track.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here...but why is everybody so crazy about these supercharger kits? Especially "best bang for the buck"? $4000+ to run 5 pounds of non-intercooled boost seems a bit...ummm...much. $6000+ for an intercooler and a bit more boost? $6000 can go a long way...like forged rods, water/methanol injection, standalone engine management, variable geometry turbocharger...

I don't mean to denigrate the work that went into designing, building, testing and manufacturing these kits, and they definitely have their place...but in terms of "bang-for-your-buck" horsepower...I think paying somebody else to do every last bit of work for you, and then getting a rather "mild" setup, isn't it.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Heck what about those guys who get an LS1 V8 for a couple grand and just pop it in there?

The 968 supercharger systems that are under $5k can be bolted on in a day and deliver the goods. A homebrew turbo system like you suggest would be a long and complex project and well beyond most people's available time and skill and facilities.

I am seeing six psi and it's pretty fast. More power would be fun but I can think of better things to do with the time and money it'd take to get there.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: First Performance Upgrade Question - Stock Porsche 968