Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

First Performance Upgrade Question - Stock Porsche 968

Old 09-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Heck what about those guys who get an LS1 V8 for a couple grand and just pop it in there?

The 968 supercharger systems that are under $5k can be bolted on in a day and deliver the goods. A homebrew turbo system like you suggest would be a long and complex project and well beyond most people's available time and skill and facilities.

I am seeing six psi and it's pretty fast. More power would be fun but I can think of better things to do with the time and money it'd take to get there.

-Joel.
Joel,

Any problems with belt slippage or belt wear?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
Maybe I'm missing something here...but why is everybody so crazy about these supercharger kits? Especially "best bang for the buck"? $4000+ to run 5 pounds of non-intercooled boost seems a bit...ummm...much. $6000+ for an intercooler and a bit more boost? $6000 can go a long way...like forged rods, water/methanol injection, standalone engine management, variable geometry turbocharger...

I don't mean to denigrate the work that went into designing, building, testing and manufacturing these kits, and they definitely have their place...but in terms of "bang-for-your-buck" horsepower...I think paying somebody else to do every last bit of work for you, and then getting a rather "mild" setup, isn't it.
Not everyone is willing or capable of doing what you just pointed out. Most people want an easy to do, DIY kit, not a setup that requires them to take their engine internals apart.
For that reason, a supercharger kit is much more feasable to most 968 owners instead of using the same $$ and doing all the engine build yourself.
Raj
Old 09-10-2010, 06:28 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a 951 motor. Sell your 968 motor for a lot more than you paid for the 951 motor. Buy either a Vitesse stealth turbo kit or stage 2r or 3r kit. 300+whp for much less than you'd spend anywhere else.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
savvas944
Instructor

Cool first performance upgrade

Forget superchargers or turbo engines.

best bang for the money?

just a kn filter ,7700 promax chip,and your head to be in good shape
and piston ring gap not more than 0.8 mm-- on triptronic 260 bhp
and will cancel the overdrive ,much fun to drive in town,as if you have put another 30 ponies.
on 6 speed -270 bhp

HD BILSTEIN SHOCKS front and rear ,
mo30 front and rear roll bars with front stiffener
and spherical bearing drop links for the rr roll bar,
17x7.5 et 55 with a good set of 215/45 tires,Yokos or michelin pilot
17x9 et 47 or 55 with 255/40 0r 265/35 tires. 18 carrerras 5 spoke 2002
are excellent and light

after the above you will not recognise your car,you would have elevate it to a
much higher level.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:02 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Not everyone is willing or capable of doing what you just pointed out. Most people want an easy to do, DIY kit, not a setup that requires them to take their engine internals apart.
For that reason, a supercharger kit is much more feasable to most 968 owners instead of using the same $$ and doing all the engine build yourself.
Raj
Maybe I was unclear...I wasn't suggesting that, instead of spending $4000+ to $6000+ on a supercharger kit, you should take that same money and spend it all on a *****-to-the-wall turbo setup including tearing down the engine and installing those things I mentioned. Also [again] I wasn't suggesting that these systems don't have their place, because of course they do.

I'm just saying that every time I hear them referred to along the lines of "best bang for your buck" I have to wonder what standard this is based on. On the spectrum of "hand the most reputable shop in the region a blank check and a list of performance goals" to "DIY with AutoCAD, lots of pieces of billet steel and aluminum, and machine tools"...I think these kits are pretty far to the "paying for convenience" end.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with paying for convenience. I just think that using some research, planning, time, DIY fab work, and hopefully extra pairs of hands to replicate the performance results at half the cost is "bang for your buck".
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Joel,

Any problems with belt slippage or belt wear?
I have not put tons of miles on the car but slippage seems to be OK. With a boost gauge you can see it drop off at high RPM if you are getting slip.

I took a sander to the back of the belt to rough it up, that helps.

I have not driven the blue car much, it is not a very nice car except for the mechanicals and the boost. I need to move the SC to my other car but that means either some work on the black car's engine or an engine swap as well. I have not had time to mess with it, so instead of an SC in a 968 that is nice to spend the day out in, it's in a car with no stereo, a battered interior and the like. The black car probably has 1R rods and might have a cracked oil pump pickup so it needs seeing to. However it does have a rebuilt head and I have a set of early 944 RARST rods so maybe the smart play is to put the forged rods in the 92 motor this winter and throw the 1R rods into the lake.

-Joel.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:56 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

For a daily driver I'd recommend 17" wheels and staying away from the 18's. I had gorgeous 18 inch wheels on the car but downsized to 17 and the ride is vastly improved.

The rest of suspension is essentially an M030 setup - Koni Yellows, 200 lbs springs and M030 sways. It's very nice. I had the Weltmeister sways, but always heard some clunks and the car was just a little too stiff for me. The M030 setup seems about perfect.

I also took out the BB exhaust the car came with and went to something closer to factory. The BB was just too loud for me in daily driving.

I've got a chip too, but the car came with it so I can't comment on it's performance.

The people here are probably among the most savvy you will find when it comes to 968's so their advice is golden. There are numerous threads which debate the relative merit of all the different mods on the site, but the consensus is if you want more horsepower then you need forced induction. I think the supercharger is popular because the install is easy, but as others have said, before you do anything make sure the maintenance is all up to snuff and the mechanicals are all sound. Also, it's not just about the horsepower. Our cars have plenty of top end, what they could really benefit from is more torque. If you start to think about forced induction look at the torque curve.

Taking out weight is a great idea too, but I've gone the other way and added more sound proofing as speed is less important to me than comfort. I can't hold a candle to the other people on the site when it comes to wrenching, but I'm big on audio and sound proofing (I can hear the moaning already, but hey there's one in every crowd... :-)

Lastly, the car is not "slow". The factory quoted zero to 60 at 6.5 secs and I think Car and Driver or someone got a 6.0 in testing. Far from today's super car category of sub 4 second times, but still respectable.

Have fun with the new car. I've had mine for 4+ years and love it and have loved the journey with the folks on here getting to know the car.

Phil
The following users liked this post:
John Scholey (01-01-2021)
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

I agree it's a fun car to drive...it's beautiful to look at and I will like to hold onto it for a long time...a Supercharger to me sounds like a great investment...perhaps new tires/chip/k&n filter and I'm set......

I've been driving it for about 5 months now and love it, but I want to upgrade where it makes sense....to me the 968 is one of the nicest (if not THE nicest) looking Porsche....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Performance Upgrade Question - Stock Porsche 968