968 Forum 1992-1995

Pablo takes 1st at UTCC

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Pablo takes 1st at UTCC

Congats to Pablo for putting his 968 at the top of the podium in at the UTCC in the JV-Shop category

Cut and pasted from the GRM press release

"Another great story was that of driver Pablo Crespo and his Porsche 968. Crespo is the only driver to attend every single UTCC, including the 2008 event at California's Buttonwillow track—2000 miles from his hometown in New York. Crespo had never taken a win in his Shop Junior Varsity class—that is, until this year. Congrats go out to him for his persistence from all of us at Grassroots Motorsports, and we hope to see him defending his title next year."
Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheer's. Savory the victory!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I love hearing about all the recent 968 wins! Truly a great accomplishment.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Congratz Pablo!!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Gotta love seeing our 18 year old model STILL demonstrating its performance potential!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim and everyone! I really appreciate the kudos. It was a great run with awesome results in a very competitive environment.

Nonetheless, the editors left a key part out of the announcement. I was just the slow driver in the really fast RS Barn owned and tuned 968 Firehawk. Hopefully I will not get banned for the clarification.....

Pete felt that I stood a better chance in the Firehawk than my red #75 GTS2 car. The Hawk having better power and less weight. He trusted me with his car for VIR to run and battle it out. As it turned out, in only my 2nd visit to VIR, the car ran very strong and flawlessly in over 100 degree weather all day, taking 1st in Shop JV. Also the 2nd best time among all door slamming JV entries (that one pesky S2000 we'll get next year! :-) ). Awesome car, hot as hell (literally) day, great times, and awesome results.

Those that know me understand that I am all about driving. I try not to get involved with the bi-partisan discussions. Nonetheless, in this instance I feel I have to give credit to the car builder and owner. He really has done a fantastic job restoring that Firehawk from the barn-find condition it was a few years back. The win should be enjoyed by all of us indeed.... regardless of camp...

I also got to run and meet a few R-listers I had never met before. It was great to shake some hands. One hand I got to shake was Scott Good's. Also representing front engine Porsches, he put on a masterful drive in his 944S2 taking the 3rd step on the podium running Independent JV. Great accomplishment as this was his first time and VIR. His run should have earned him 2nd as the 1st place finisher was out of class (tube frame car).

I can't recall 2007 UTCC, but for the last 3 years we have had at least one 968, or 968 powered car, in the top 3 in at least one of the classes. Lemming took 3rd last year as well!

Cheers! ...and we'll go get them again in 2011!

PS: I'll post some pics and videos soon...

Last edited by pmcrespo; 07-29-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Nice job Pablo!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pmcrespo

I can't recall 2007 UTCC, but for the last 3 years we have had at least one 968, or 968 powered car, in the top 3 in the top 3 in at least one of the classes. Lemming took 3rd last year as well!

Cheers! ...and we'll go get them again in 2011!

PS: I'll post some pics and videos soon...
I took 3rd place in 2007 as well. I really wanted to run this year but with the death of Frankencar in May, I didn't have a car to run. My plan is to run next year, I'll just pull the supercharger off and run with the NA engine so that I don't jump to Varsity and have to run the big guns
Old 07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

We missed you this year Tim. But you chose a good year to skip.... conditions where brutal... greasy track and temperatures that never dropped under 100 deg F made for a challenging day in the driver's seat... But I'll take that over pouring rain so I won't complain.

John Whitaker ran well in the Carbotech Honda Integra Type R. Running 240 hp / 2400 pounds, he was the fight in Shop JV. But we finally got him :-). After the award ceremony he warned me for next year, so we are ON!

Skip in his S2000 dominated Independent and took the best time of all JV (door slammers) with a 2.13 flat. we'll get him sooner or later....!

All super nice guys and true sportsmen. Great event, people, and huge variety of cars as always. I am already looking forward to next year!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

We missed you this year Tim. But you chose a good year to skip.... conditions where brutal... greasy track and temperatures that never dropped under 100 deg F made for a challenging day in the driver's seat... But I'll take that over pouring rain so I won't complain.

John Whitaker ran well in the Carbotech Honda Integra Type R. Running 240 hp / 2400 pounds, he was the fight in Shop JV. But we finally got him :-). After the award ceremony he warned me for next year, so we are ON!

Skip in his S2000 dominated Independent and took the best time of all JV (door slammers) with a 2.13 flat. we'll get him sooner or later....!

All super nice guys and true sportsmen. Great event, people, and huge variety of cars as always. I am already looking forward to next year!
It wasn't by "choice"

I was really surprised to see that they let a super seven run in JV. I hope that does not continue.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

I will send Scott Lear a message on the subject. I believe Scott Good will do the same. I would suggest you join in. From the discussions the previous year, that seemed to be the direction it was going with everyone agreeing that tube framed and equivalent vehicles would be classed differently, likely in Varsity. But obviously the Super-7 sneaked-by... Truth be told though, a 968 in optimal GTS3 form driven at the limit with a VIR regular can probably take that time as well...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim, Are these (UTCC) time trials?

Congrats, Pablo!!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Tim, Are these (UTCC) time trials?

Congrats, Pablo!!
Yes, time trials.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

I will send Scott Lear a message on the subject. I believe Scott Good will do the same. I would suggest you join in. From the discussions the previous year, that seemed to be the direction it was going with everyone agreeing that tube framed and equivalent vehicles would be classed differently, likely in Varsity. But obviously the Super-7 sneaked-by... Truth be told though, a 968 in optimal GTS3 form driven at the limit with a VIR regular can probably take that time as well...
On the NASA forum, Scott stated that the super 7 weighed 1200lbs and was pushing 240 rwhp. If driven well, no GTS3 car would be able to touch it. I do agree that the 2:11 time it put down can be beaten by a GTS3 car.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Pablo,

You need to bring that Firehawk to one of the PCA races. F class could use another 968, especially a Firehawk version. Plenty of room in the upcoming Thunderbolt race in August.

Quick Reply: Pablo takes 1st at UTCC