968 Forum 1992-1995

Fixing the rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Fixing the rear wiper

My rear wiper was working, now it is not. i hear the motor making a noice. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Start by putting a multimeter on the connection at the motor to make sure you're actually getting full voltage.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:43 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you hear the motor but the wipers not moving, the plastic gear may have stripped.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks, what kind of repair is the plastic gear replacement?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you confirm that the wiper is bolted down completely and the teeth on the motor that the wiper mounts to, are not stripped. Remove the wiper cap and tighten the nut to make sure.
Raj
Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or the pot metal pivot arm that rotates on the motor shaft.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 AM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeff
On my 94 Tip, the wiper had not worked since I bought it. I recently had the time to take the wiper completely off the car to diagnose the prob. First I did confirm there was power to the motor. There was. I completely removed wiper assy. I had to drill out the plugs holding the cover on, and separated the cover from the housing. Now IIRC, the gears were metal, not plastic, and I did not see a prob. with any internal parts and there was plenty of lube in the housing. I carefully removed the motor from the rotating assy, and was able to actually turn the gearing and rotate the shaft where the wiper arm connects. Since I was able to do this, I figured it was an electrical prob. I temporarily installed the cover(small clamps) and took it to a local electronics shop...it just so happened the tech had a 944N/A and was really interested in the 968. He hooked the motor to a 12v power supp. and it moved a little then stopped. We removed the cover and saw that the shaft holding the gear on had slipped out a bit and blocked the pivot arm. Instead of taking the motor off, he bypassed the diode that only allows the motor to go in one direction(now, electronics is not my thing, I would have had to takr the motor off) and reversed the motor a little and pushed the shaft back down, and reconnected the motor. It ran beautifully! So, I believe what happened was that the way the motor sits when on the hatch will allow the shaft, if it comes loose from however the manufacturer secures it in, to slide down and block the pivot arm.
I took the shaft out, it has a boss it rides in in the housing, cleaned all the grease out of the hole and off the shaft, and basically superglued the shaft to the housing. You will see better what I am talking about once you get it apart. The shaft does not need to rotate, and I do not believe it did from the factory, the gear rides on it. I did not take pics, wish I had, because I am gettin a bit forgetful of how it was actually put together. You can actcually see the flat end of the shaft thru the hole on the housing side.
I made sure there was grease where it needed to be and riveted the cover to the housing. I have had no problems yet. So in a nutshell...the shaft somehow came loose, blocked the pivot arm, it must have slipped back into place once I took it apart, worked fine until returned to orig. posit., stopped again, discovered prob., repaired (hopefully permanently) and is now working fine.
Hope this helps. I had seen on another Forum (which I quit because of a certain blowhard running the thing) this same problem, but since I could actually make the wiper shaft operate after taking the motor off, didn't think it was the same.
Good luck......Ken
Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 AM
968 GUY
Racer

Oh yeah, I somehow missed that the motor was making noise, so as Raj said............
Old 07-28-2010, 08:27 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jeff968
My rear wiper was working, now it is not. i hear the motor making a noice. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks
Tighten down the nut on the wiper arm.

Quick Reply: Fixing the rear wiper