Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

How much power can the 968 tranny take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power can the 968 tranny take?

I'm having all syncros from 1st through 4th replaced, as well as the 2nd gear syncro hub, all gaskets, seals, pinion bearings, bolts... New rubber boots and drive axle bolts (Stage 8) are going in too. It all started with installation of a Guard Transmissions GT3 LSD, and I figured I might as well change all the wear parts while the tranny was out...

Anyway, I've looked around on Rennlist for info on the amount of power people think the stock 968 6-speed tranny can take, and the highest number I have seen is 450bhp with about 400lbf (I guess a turbocharged engine would be tougher on the tranny than a supercharged one or a naturally aspirated eight). Any ideas, thoughs, opinions?

I realize the turbo s and rs had beefed-up transmissions, but to get a hold of one of those I think you may have to sacrifice your first born
Old 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trackdaycareracer
I'm having all syncros from 1st through 4th replaced, as well as the 2nd gear syncro hub, all gaskets, seals, pinion bearings, bolts... New rubber boots and drive axle bolts (Stage 8) are going in too. It all started with installation of a Guard Transmissions GT3 LSD, and I figured I might as well change all the wear parts while the tranny was out...

Anyway, I've looked around on Rennlist for info on the amount of power people think the stock 968 6-speed tranny can take, and the highest number I have seen is 450bhp with about 400lbf (I guess a turbocharged engine would be tougher on the tranny than a supercharged one or a naturally aspirated eight). Any ideas, thoughs, opinions?

I realize the turbo s and rs had beefed-up transmissions, but to get a hold of one of those I think you may have to sacrifice your first born
There's at least one Turbo S replica here running one . . .
Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is there is at least 2 Turbo S Replica's running them. Just curious, it sounds like you have had a near complete overhaul of your trans, what is a ball park price for that? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Even though my 6 speed is a turbo S unit, I know others that have made over 500hp/tq on the stock 968 transmission.
Raj
Old 05-01-2010, 03:26 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Location: Ex. Vestal, NY; Binghamton, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Poway, CA. Now, somewhere else :)

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Even though my 6 speed is a turbo S unit, I know others that have made over 500hp/tq on the stock 968 transmission.
Raj
Excellent Raj, just the answer I was hoping for.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:45 PM
trackdaycareracer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Miles968
My guess is there is at least 2 Turbo S Replica's running them. Just curious, it sounds like you have had a near complete overhaul of your trans, what is a ball park price for that? If you don't mind me asking.
For all the parts listed above (except the LSD), plus work with removing and installing the tranny in the car, plus work with installing and shimming the LSD, etc., etc., I ended up with paying $4.700. That's a ton of money, but experts that can shim the LSD correctly aren't cheap and it is now essentially a new unit with the best G50 LSD money can buy (except for the GT1 and GT2, but that's overkill for an amateur like myself). Before opening the 'box, I though it was only the 2nd gear syncro and pinion bearings that it would be wise to get changed, but I'm a sucker for shiny new parts and the 2nd gear syncro hub was like a $1.000 by itself.

I'm just happy I can hit the track again, and really look forward to finally being able to hook up after the apex
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:42 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quite expensive stuff. But, as a reminder your tranny will be good for next 10-15 years if used correctly, so not so big annual cost for the fun. thanks for sharing the repair costs.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to steal the thread, but if anybody's interested, I have 2nd gear ~ 6th gear available.

I replaced them with shorter gears for my race car.

Jason

Quick Reply: How much power can the 968 tranny take?