Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

A/C no longer working - tied to instrument panel out for repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
TexOne
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C no longer working - tied to instrument panel out for repair?

I haven't posted for a few weeks since getting my 968. I drove it from Ohio to Texas and it did well overall but I did find some items that were not caught in the PPI or disclosed (biggest was broken engine mounts which left the engine forward enough to almost cut some hoses - which struck me as a big miss). I was planning to take it in to Ruf here in Dallas when the odometer stopped working, a few days after I got it back to Texas. (Largely on the recommendation of you guys on this board and being impressed on my earlier visits to the Ruf shop)

When I took it in, Hans and I discussed and it went to Bob, who has a 944 with the same Carrera 18" wheels as my 968. They had to send the odometer out, along with the full cluster. So after a week I got the car back but it has no instruments.

As soon as I drove off, I noticed the A/C was blowing but not cooling. Likewise, the cruise control was not working. I took it back the next day and they told me the A/C looked okay and Bob remembered it was working before, so it must be related to the missing instrument cluster. He did not have a more specific explanation.

Does that sound right? The cruise not working made sense to me because there is no speedometer for it to work with. The A/C, however, was not an obvious connection to the instruments. Has anyone else had the instrument cluster out and found the A/C not to work?

I'm patiently keeping it parked until the instruments are back in. But I'm also leery that the A/C may have some new issue.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a coincidence -- my first guess is you're low on A/C coolant (and there is a trigger that prevents A/C from working if coolant level is low).
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Giving your instrument cluster to someone to fix odometer gears was a big waste of $$. It's a $10-15 part and an easy DIY. In the future, check with us before you send it out for expensive repairs. That is what we are all here for.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 PM
TexOne
Intermediate

Right - Checking Rennlist was Plan A. I got the little plastic gears, and had Ruf address it while they were doing other initial repairs. They told me that didn't fix it and they offered to send it to a shop in California. I didn't see an alternative (based on Ruf being credible).

On the A/C, it was cold before it went in the shop. And now its not cold at all - no difference from having the compressor off. Bob (Ruf mechanic) looked it over and saw no issue. And the a/c compressor has been replaced. So if the a/c is out when the instrument panel is back in it will be hard not to think something got knocked loose or damaged during the other repair work. Under the hood that was primarily replacing the motor mounts, which shouldn't have any effect on the a/c.That said, its not working for some reason.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AC should work with with instrument cluster as should the cruise control.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
TexOne
Intermediate

thanks - I sure hope that's it.

Having just bought it and dropped a fair amount on fixes and trim items, and unexpected motor mount replacement, I don't need the a/c to have needs.

the ups and downs of owning a classic, I know . . .
Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM
TexOne
Intermediate

Default Good News

Update: Got the car back from Ruf with the repaired instrument cluster reinstalled and all is well. The a/c is back at full-strength (I usually only have to run it about halfway cold or it freezes me out) and the gauges work correctly. The mileage is correct and updating so I'm back to enjoying the car.

Quick Reply: A/C no longer working - tied to instrument panel out for repair?