968 Forum 1992-1995

Old vs. New Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

John,

I'm looking forward to installing the injectors on Frankencar. I'll try to do back-to-back pulls on the dyno. Hopefully I can do this in early January but I can't promise. My current injectors were cleaned before the start of the 2009 race season by Witchhunter, so I doubt they are clogged.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles968
My observations are (and I wish I could back them up with real science but this still makes sense to me):
Clean injectors flow well and work well, but when the same flow rate is coupled to better atomization, as in the "new style" injectors it has got to be better. Hopefully, in my case, it will start easier with the new more atomizing injectors. The improved atomization should also allow for more complete/efficient combustion of the fuel. This should result in some increase in power and possible decrease in fuel consumption.

Again this is just my unsubstantiated opinion and I am open to education and other opinions
The problem is that unless someone compares new stock injectors against new "better atomisation" injectors, there is simply no way to tell what the critical variable is.

If anything, this thread is making me think that I might buy some new injectors rather than spend money on cleaning next time I am thinking of getting this done. For example, if a pronounced hesitation clears up after replacing your injectors (stock or otherwise), then it more or less proves your old injectors weren't working up to spec, regardless of where and when they were cleaned.

Obviously, that pronounced hesitation wasn't there when then injectors (and the car) was new...

In the meantime, I remain somewhat sceptical of the advantages of "better atomisation" compared to stock injectors.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I soon expect to have a set of FuelInjectorConnection-reconditioned Gen 1 (010) injectors on hand and available for test purposes against the 759's. These reconditioned injectors should be equivalent to new, I would think (would certainly hope).
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Etnier
FWIW I soon expect to have a set of FuelInjectorConnection-reconditioned Gen 1 (010) injectors on hand and available for test purposes against the 759's. These reconditioned injectors should be equivalent to new, I would think (would certainly hope).
Sounds as good as you can do without actually comparing new against new. You get a report from FIC showing that the reconditioned injectors all come flow tested and matched to near factory spec?

I will keep an open mind and look forward to your comparison with interest. And hold off on any injector related decisions until then.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

I won't be able to do such a comparison but am offering the use of my reconditioned injectors for that purpose. As to FIC: I don't know if a report is provided. They do state: "Our "Blue Demon" flow matched Fuel Injectors are the best you can buy anywhere. They perform equal to and most of the time better than new for 1/3rd the price!"

I am extremely happy with my 'new car', however. The difference in driveability is astonishing and lots of fun. The area around the pintles on the old injectors seemed clear and clean, so I kinda figure the filters were probably jammed. At any rate, things are much better. If I weren't coming from the context of years of driving with this hesitation problem, I'd probably have much clearer idea as to whether any HP has been gained. I can't help but feel, after more time behind the wheel, that some has.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I know Marren provides you flow rates of 'before' and 'after' cleaning. This helps one determine how the injectors were flowing prior to their service. I find this to be helpful information, when getting injectors serviced. Otherwise, how do we know that they even serviced them besides adding a cap and some seals.
Regards.
Raj
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I know Marren provides you flow rates of 'before' and 'after' cleaning. This helps one determine how the injectors were flowing prior to their service. I find this to be helpful information, when getting injectors serviced. Otherwise, how do we know that they even serviced them besides adding a cap and some seals.
Regards.
Raj
Even with Flow rates (before and after) provided, you dont really know if the injectors were serviced, as the rates could be fabricated and the charts manipulated.

The best bet is to get new Injectors IMHO.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whitchhunter provides before and after results as well,
including impedence measurments.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
Sold
sold already, Pat ? ( I don't know how long it took, only just saw it for sale ) good luck with your new ride... Donn
Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fox944
Even with Flow rates (before and after) provided, you dont really know if the injectors were serviced, as the rates could be fabricated and the charts manipulated.

The best bet is to get new Injectors IMHO.
Injector Birthers!!! (JK!)
Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Default An update-

Heard again from Jon Banner, who says he's looking into becoming a site sponsor here. He will be evaluating my stock injectors with the idea of determining if there's any yet better match out there, or a mod which would improve things further. My injectors get a free service out of it. Jon, who's been following this thread recently, says he provides before and after numbers, plus a flow sheet, (no doubt all forged by the Hawaiians LOL).

From a recent email:
I believe we do the best job that can be done with an injector. As far as atomization... Un-atomized droplets of fuel do not burn, therefor washing through the engine into the cats. Hence, unburned hydrocarbons. If you can atomize the fuel better the free oxygen attaches itself to fuel becoming a combustionable mixture. The better the mixture the better the combustion. The better the combustion the more power the engine will make.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
SeaGull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting thread! ... but I am not very familiar with motor control.
A question: if my lambda/O2 value is OK, does this mean that my (old) injectors capacity are symmetrical and OK?
Since there is only one O2-sensor and four cylinders. What happens if one injector is bad (low capacity).
Slightly off topic?

/ 18 degrees below zero today
Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Seagull,
Yes, the lambda sensor measures the average of the 4 cylinders. If one injector is running lean (low flow) then the computer will richen up ALL of the injectors under closed loop lambda control. So, you end up with one lean injector and 3 rich injectors.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:59 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Jon Banner at Fuel Injector Connection has posted a YouTube video posted this video of the Bosch 3 injectors and my old injectors running simultaneously on the test bench. It's interesting to learn that the flow on the old injectors was as good as it was: the performance improvement with the new injectors was really substantial, and apparently due to the improved misting. Note that flow seems matched between the two products.

For clarification: Jon did not 'give' me the new Bosch's (as he says in the video): I bought them. After I'd bought them and while we were in email correspondence concerning this thread, he did offer to rebuild my old ones in return for the chance to evaluate them against the new product to make sure my replacements were a proper match.

Last edited by John Etnier; 01-23-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

??

Quick Reply: Old vs. New Injectors?