968 Forum 1992-1995

Old vs. New Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010 | 09:00 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Jon,

We're thrilled to have you here, but could you toss a paragraph break every now and again? The technical explanations would be a lot easier to read.

Thanks!!
I second that!
Old 02-04-2010 | 02:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Jon welcome of the 'list.

Those are cool videos.
Old 02-07-2010 | 11:59 AM
rdhayward
Racer

Is anyone out there working on a new chip to optimize upgrading the injectors?
Old 04-07-2010 | 11:27 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Alright, I finally had to go to the dyno so it was a good time to test the new injectors. First, I did a baseline pull and found out that the car was running a bit rich, so I leaned it out and ran a second run. Still too rich, so I leaned it out a bit more and got it where a wanted it (run #2 on the dyno chart below: The A/F for that run is the dark red line). I then installed the new Gen 3 injectors and did my last run (took about 10 minutes to install) without changing anything else. That run is labeled Run#1). As you can see, the HP and Torque curves are extremely similar. So, no free HP to be found with this mod. However, when the car was restarted with the new injectors it clearly idled better. The dyno operator stated that the last run felt the best (butt dyno) but when we pulled the data there was no difference. I should mention that my Gen 1 injectors were cleaned about 2 years ago.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2010 | 11:33 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim. To really do an apples to apples, a set of recently serviced old style injectors would have been more fair, no?
I would be willing to bet that the car would have run just as smooth with the newly serviced injectors as compared to the new style ones.
This was my feeling all along. There is no free HP. Service your injectors and you should be able to get the same results.
Thanks again for sharing.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-07-2010 | 11:36 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Thanks for taking the time to research this, Tim!
Old 04-07-2010 | 11:54 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Yes, it would have been nice to have used a recently cleaned set of gen 1's, but I wasn't about to go that far for this test!
Old 04-07-2010 | 12:07 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Lemming
Yes, it would have been nice to have used a recently cleaned set of gen 1's, but I wasn't about to go that far for this test!
Completely understand and really appreciate the feedback and sharing the results .
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-07-2010 | 11:53 PM
rdhayward
Racer

+1
Old 04-08-2010 | 01:08 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Thanks Tim. To really do an apples to apples, a set of recently serviced old style injectors would have been more fair, no?
I would be willing to bet that the car would have run just as smooth with the newly serviced injectors as compared to the new style ones.
This was my feeling all along. There is no free HP. Service your injectors and you should be able to get the same results.
Thanks again for sharing.
Regards.
Raj
I have to agree with Raj overall -- but of course the fairest test would be _new_ old style injectors vs _new_ new style injectors (since it seems that not all injector cleaning services are equal.)

For example, if I had my my old style injectors cleaned, and I was still getting hesitation problems that miraculously cleared up once I installed new injectors, I'd be asking for my money back for the original "cleaning".

Just sayin'.

If it's one thing I've learnt from this thread, is that you can't assume your old injectors will be operating "like new" after a service. Certainly an eye-opener in that regard.

Having said that, my experience with RC Engineering with regard to cleaning injectors was top-notch. I suspect the other places with good reps like Witchhunter, Marren and so on would also be solid bets.
Old 04-08-2010 | 10:36 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Actually, I had issues with injectors serviced at Marren. Next time, I plan to use someone else. I know of a few others that had same issues with Marren.
Regards.
Raj
Old 04-08-2010 | 11:03 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Actually, I had issues with injectors serviced at Marren. Next time, I plan to use someone else. I know of a few others that had same issues with Marren.
Regards.
Raj
Noted.
Old 04-08-2010 | 12:58 PM
rdhayward
Racer

I began this thread out of interest stemming from Carl's supercharger thread, and how he was able to obtain better results with newer-style injectors.

Maybe the new injectors offer something not easily discerned by the dyno, such as better atomization under boost, better cruise economy, smoother cold idle. Just a few thoughts from curiosity, not opinions.
Old 04-08-2010 | 02:12 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rdhayward
I began this thread out of interest stemming from Carl's supercharger thread, and how he was able to obtain better results with newer-style injectors.

Maybe the new injectors offer something not easily discerned by the dyno, such as better atomization under boost, better cruise economy, smoother cold idle. Just a few thoughts from curiosity, not opinions.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I am not sure that the injectors that we came up with in this thread are even the same ones as Carl is using?
Old 04-08-2010 | 03:38 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

I'm curious of the price differance between rehabing the olld or buying new. Since the labor is the same in and out and I know how much the set of 8 injectors cost, what is the labor and car down time on the reha?

Quick Reply: Old vs. New Injectors?