968 Forum 1992-1995

Pass window goes down but not up

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pass window goes down but not up

My passenger window won't go up, just in time for the rain today and for the next ten days. It goes down just fine, but not up. Tried both switches. The driver's window operates fine. Anyone have any ideas before I take the door apart and check the motor. Does the motor operate on the way down?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you try the passenger switch on the driver side door? It's a closed circuit, so when that one goes bad, the passenger window can't be operated normally from the passenger side either.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was having that same problem, I pulled both switches, cleaned them with contact cleaner, and the problem went away.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes I had to take the switches apart and clean them with 600 paper. Make sure to clean the round contacts and the center contacts at the rocker pivot. Some dielectric grease (or petroleum jelly) will hold things in place while you put them back together.

Also as Luis said the passenger window relies on the driver switch so you often have to clean both of them to get it working.

-Joel.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Did you try the passenger switch on the driver side door? It's a closed circuit, so when that one goes bad, the passenger window can't be operated normally from the passenger side either.
I tried both and neither worked. I figured it was something in the door since the odds of both switches failing independently is pretty slim, but this makes sense. I'll try some contact cleaner and maybe some fine grit to clean the switches up and cross my fingers.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

It's a switch problem. Careful pulling them apart as little bits go flying everywhere.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

This is very common - switch contacts just get dirty after so long...

There's a step by step procedure at Clarks

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

look up ELECT-20, Electric Window Troubleshooting, tells ya how to take them switches apart & clean
Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Obd- If you get in a bind I have good switches sitting on a shelf from my parts cab- only 75K miles- garage kept and perfect condition. Let me know - I can get my wife to overnight you one if need be.

Cheers, Mike
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by notthd
Obd- If you get in a bind I have good switches sitting on a shelf from my parts cab- only 75K miles- garage kept and perfect condition. Let me know - I can get my wife to overnight you one if need be.

Cheers, Mike
Thanks for the offer Mike, I appreciate it, but I should be fine. I typically keep the cab in a garage across town, but with the 951 down for a little while, I've been keeping the 968 at home as much as possible so I have a car around. It's safe and back in the garage. I'm going to try to use the driver's switch to find which passenger's switch is bad and to get the window up so I can work on it at home.

Mike, when are you going to be back in town? Finals are over next week and I've got a lot of P-car time coming up.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

The contacts on the switches I have taken apart are not so much dirty as burned and pitted, I would not expect to get much from spray cleaner. Maybe a temporary fix.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
Thanks for the offer Mike, I appreciate it, but I should be fine. I typically keep the cab in a garage across town, but with the 951 down for a little while, I've been keeping the 968 at home as much as possible so I have a car around. It's safe and back in the garage. I'm going to try to use the driver's switch to find which passenger's switch is bad and to get the window up so I can work on it at home.

Mike, when are you going to be back in town? Finals are over next week and I've got a lot of P-car time coming up.
Todd- should be back next week- I too have P-car projects galore. I'll bring the beer.

Quick Reply: Pass window goes down but not up