Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

245+RWHP Dyno Sheets

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I was just checking out Pablo's car domain page and he has the following listed but I am not sure of the meaning? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3018343

POWER REPORT:
1. DYNOCOM, Aug 12, 08: 246.5 RWHP
2. DYNOJET 248 : 225.0 RWHP (estimated)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Means an OOD (Overly Optimistic Dyno).
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When Pete (RS Barn) was doing the race prep on my 968 last year he tuned with his chip, header, exhaust and obtained an extra 15 hp at the top end but what was more significant was an increase in hp in the range of 22 to 40 hp and 24 to 33 ft-lbs of torque over stock values in the 4000 to 5500 rpms range. This was obtained using a baseline of the same car without the mods.

The dyno was later found to have some roller problem which posted lower numbers than it should have but since these were done with a baseline the delta shouldn't be too different.

Last edited by Giacomo; 03-15-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:55 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

So, you are saying what I was saying. Peak increases of 20rwhp or so. That is what I said as well.
Thanks.
Raj
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO without a baseline a dyno graph has little meaning.
I do not care if it is an optimistic dyno or a pesimistic dyno, it does not matter to me whether it is a dynojet, a mustang or whatever this thing was. A dynamometer is for tuning purposes and provided you use the same machine for your tunes you will know whether your modification has achieved the desired result based on comparison with your baseline. I'm fortunate to have a dynojet about 1 mile from my house so verifying stuff is fairly easy for me, not really a fan of dynojet but it's close. No I won't be posting any of my charts IMHO posting dyno charts for bragging purposes is silly anyway (especially when it is not a chart for your car). Not sure what mod's were on Pablo's car at the time of this dyno but it had far more than exhaust, headers and chip before it met it's end but once again without the baseline nobody here knows the gains.

Peak HP/Torque is not really what some of us care about. It's not the the extra "3hp" at peak that the chip contributes that is important, it's power across the whole band. The hp gains in low/mid range are more impressive than the peak numbers IMHO and the gains in torque are just as impressive. Also, I do not drive at WOT all the time and Pete takes that into account with his street chips.

Yes, Pete deals with all of the people mentioned in Raj's post (it's on RSBarn's web site on the main page) and has spent his time and money with them trying to further the power development for the 968 that they worked on many years ago. Pete and Michael have taken that head farther than you probably know with development paid for by Pete.

The owner of Precision Motorsports's name is actually Will DiGiovanni and yes, he is very good and I would not have any problem taking my car to him. At least one of my 968s, possibly both, have been to Will's shop, actually taken there by Pete. You can reach Will at (908) 832-6572

Nobody's getting rich off of the 968 market, so anyone who wants to develop products for it has a big thumb's up from me. RSBarn has found out a whole lot more about this car by spending a fortune on dyno time and playing with a whole lot of stuff that nobody else has spent time or $$$ investigating for the 968 community. Does Pete hope to profit from it and not give away all of his developments for free to internet forum members? I certainly hope so, since that will allow him to continue development of things for our cars. Just like I hope DutchNine, 928MotorSports, RennBay, Paragon, Racer's Edge and KW hopefully make money and continue to provide and hopefully develop more products for our cars.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
Peak HP/Torque is not really what some of us care about. It's not the the extra "3hp" at peak that the chip contributes that is important, it's power across the whole band. The hp gains in low/mid range are more impressive than the peak numbers IMHO and the gains in torque are just as impressive.
Truer words were never spoken. On the track you are rarely below 3500 so the values north of that are what is important. Similarly there is only so much time one spends at peak hp so solid mid range increases are the key.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:34 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There seems to be differences in opinions on what 'realistic' BHP is attainable. If so, why don't all of you guys just meet at a dyno place and do runs. Heck, make it a dyno-day and grill hamburgers, hotdogs, and have some beers too. Let the numbers speak for themselves, this way you have all the data you want. I just hope you guys don't do it for Pink Slips, like they do it on the Speed Channel.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
There seems to be differences in opinions on what 'realistic' BHP is attainable.
It's not just about attainable it's a question of usable. I'm sure I could have my motor built to make 300+ RWHP without boost with enough $$$$ but it would probably last until the dyno runs were done. I don't dyno race so it does not hold much interest to me.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

For all the RSBarn haters on this board I would like to share my positive experience:

I recently did a baseline dyno before/after pete's stage I chip and gained 9 HP peak but much more throughout the rev range. BTW, I added the chip 15 minutes after 1st run so variables such as ambient temp, humidity, etc... were minimized.
Very happy with Pete's recommendations and products, a great guy also!

**Oh, and absolutely no affiliation with RSBarn other than a satisfied customer.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:00 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
It's not just about attainable it's a question of usable. I'm sure I could have my motor built to make 300+ RWHP without boost with enough $$$$ but it would probably last until the dyno runs were done. I don't dyno race so it does not hold much interest to me.
Well two issues here. Everyone should get together and hit the dyno. Thats point number one. And the second is what is usuable power. Some people may want to race their car here and others could care less, right? TQ is a big factor is racing versus HP. I know a lot about racing, and what wins races and not. And yes, the breath of the powerband is key. Anyway you guys should pick a dyno day that is centrally located. I prefer a Dynojet though, as I had a bad experience with a DynoPack, not my cup of tea again.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also tried the Dynapak twice, got really weird numbers and funny curves. No problem with a Dynojet.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

to address a few things.

1. Dynocom Dyno's are some of the finest in the industry. They are very high quality dyno with very heavy duty axles, bearings data inputs for boost, wideband, air temp, fuel pressure etc etc etc. They use an eddy current brake similiar to dyno dynamics. They have a single roller lik a Dynojet rated or either 1200 or 1800 whp.

2. Dynocom Dyno's will typically read higher then a Dynojet, which reads higher then a Mustang Dyno.

2. These Dyno sheets are the dyno sheets of the most powerfull 968's ever tested on this Dyno. Both have many modifications performed. They both made significantly more power then other 968's tested with RS Barn's header/exhaust/cams/stage 3 chip modification. Pete has tested many 968's with his stage 1, 2 and 3 set-ups. and these are the 2 most powerfull cars to date. A car with Header/exhaust/chip wil not make anywhere near these numbers, regardless of what dyno you use.

3. My car has had head work performed by Powerhaus over 3 years ago (prior to RS Barn offering head work). I Commissined David Raines to have my head built to spec. (supplied by me, based on previous projects i've done). In addition to the head work performed, i'm also running a 12.5lbs billet steel flywheel (also aquired through Powerhaus), as well as performance pulleys and a few other goodies.

4. Raj has challenged me to a Dyno day and then backed out. If he or anyone is interested in doing a Dyno Day. I will be more then happy to put my car on a Dyno. Any Dyno in the tri-state area. Pick the shop, the Dyno, and the date. I will make it happen. Bring your car to compare.

5. I am not here to create enemies. I am here to share my car with you all, spread and gain knowledge. My hunt for more power is never ending. And my goal is never complete. I want to keep raising the bar and pushing the limits higher and higher without the use of stand alone management, retaining a cat and maintaining streetability/reliability. Can these cars make more power? Tons of it. There are several avenues to explore...including ITB's. However, i don't want to drastically change the nature/power band of the engine, nor do i want to build a race motor. This is a street car afterall. And making serious gains costs serious money and defeats the purpose. I could have supercharged my car and made more power, while spending less money. The know how was already there and the kits have been available. The fact that people are playing with these cars makes it possible for others to reap the bennefits. Meaning, the know how is there and the parts are only getting cheaper, and there is no need to take risks buying parts that may or may not work....as they are either proven to work or not work.

6. I will be @ Hershey this year with my car. Anyone who is interested in going for a spin, will be given a ride. A select few will be allowed to drive my car as well. Anyone interested in looking at my build sheet, is more then welcome. I will also be taking my car to the dragstrip in its current state of tune and will post up 1/4 times once they are available. I have run baseline #'s on a Dynojet before and after my head work. My car was Dyno tuned in its current state of tune on a Dynocom, which is why i did not post baseline sheets (which are 3+ years old mind you). When i post my 1/4 time, i will post my best baseline run (prior to any modifications) which i have done at the same track.

7. Lastly, a select few individuals here have accused me of having some sort of affiliation to RS Barn. I've also been accused of being "Flash". To clear that up. I am not Flash, nor am i affiliated to RS Barn or their business in anyway. I am not here to promote anyone other then myself, however....i will gladly be a proponent of anyone who has helped make it possible for me achieve my goals, as well as anyone whos products i am satisified with. That includes PowerHaus, Lindsey Racing, RS Barn. If i purchase a part, and the part is as described and performs exactly as stated, then i will promote that as a good product; regardless of who makes or sells it. At the end of the day, it is benneficial to the 968 community as a whole. I would like to see more modified cars, and i would like to share experiences with others...i can both enlighten and be enlightened.

*If anyone would like to contact me, feel free to give me a call. I will gladly discuss my build, set up a dyno day with you, bring you out to the dragstrip with me, or simply just meet up for lunch and a spirited drive on some backroads while we shoot the $h!* Feel free to PM me for my cotact info.

-Dino Omeragic
Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fox944
-Dino Omeragic
As I mentioned, see what I said in post #22. Let me know and I will try and meet all of you guys. Just make it a fun dyno-day.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I was just checking out Pablo's car domain page and he has the following listed but I am not sure of the meaning? http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3018343

POWER REPORT:
1. DYNOCOM, Aug 12, 08: 246.5 RWHP
2. DYNOJET 248 : 225.0 RWHP (estimated)

I'm not bashing RSbarn, as I've stated, I run their parts and my engine makes great power because of them. I just asked a simple question, why the two numbers.

Does the dynocom read higher than the dynojet? We know that dynojets read higher than mustangs so it is possible. I'm just trying to get a good idea of how the power in the two cars in this post compare to mine. Why, well, I'm always in search of power (although at this point I would need to add weight to stay in my race class if I gain any). I might have to contact Pete and see if we can barter some parts from my two grenaded engines for a fresh set of race cams.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And forgive my ignorance, but what the heck is a Dynocom? I heard of a Dynopack (never again for me), Mustang and Dynojet. But not Dynocom. Are they new? Again, forgive me if this is basic to you 968 guys.

Quick Reply: 245+RWHP Dyno Sheets