968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Turbo RS Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox944
They are special because no one makes a true short shift kit that actually shortens the throw. 944Racing was the only one that did and they are long out of production.

Design 1 should be releasing a True Short Shift Kit in 2-4 weeks that is actually better then the 944Racing SS. So the only plus to having the 944Racing kit is the rarity.

a 944 Short Shift kit cant be used on a 968. The geometry of the shift rods & input shafts are different between the two.

I'm not quite sure how you can state that there will be a better unit than the 944Racing one, as it hasn't been released. I try not to take a vendors own words as proof, whether it's a supercharger or roll bar. And isn't that the same guy that swore up and down that no-one needed a stb beyond the KLA, then went and sold a much more expensive one? Maybe this is the same deal? Just wondering.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
I'm not quite sure how you can state that there will be a better unit than the 944Racing one, as it hasn't been released. I try not to take a vendors own words as proof, whether it's a supercharger or roll bar. And isn't that the same guy that swore up and down that no-one needed a stb beyond the KLA, then went and sold a much more expensive one? Maybe this is the same deal? Just wondering.

The Design 1 Strut Brace is a better design then the KLA sturt brace (i have a KLA personally, only because the Design 1 brace was not yet avail. when i bought mine). A lot of people had clearance issues with the KLA, leaving dimples in their hood as well as scuffing the vanity cover on the engine. These problems dont exist with the Design 1 STB.

Outside of that, yes i will take the vendors own word. Why? because every product that he ever built has been exactly as stated. The 944Racing Shoft shift kit had clearance issues in some vehicles. The Vendor gladly repaired/modified the ones that had issues and sent them back free of charge. The Design 1 SS kit wont have any of the issues the 944Racing short shift kit had (just like the D1 STB doesnt have any issues associated with the KLA Bace). Outside of that, the 944racing SS kit was used as a base, and the design 1 kit should basically be better.

The D1 SS Kit should also be compatible with the Stuttgart Shiftblock, which is important to me. From what i understand, the 944Racing SS kit is not compatible (i may be wrong on that). I'm very pleased with the Shiftblock and would love to keep it in the car.

Even if it isnt any better, it doesnt matter at the end of the day. What matters is that there will be a new Short Shift Kit available for our cars. So those of us who do not have one, can now get one without praying they find a long out of production unit that few if any people are willing to part with.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

The Design 1 Strut Brace is a better design then the KLA sturt brace (i have a KLA personally, only because the Design 1 brace was not yet avail. when i bought mine). A lot of people had clearance issues with the KLA, leaving dimples in their hood as well as scuffing the vanity cover on the engine. These problems dont exist with the Design 1 STB.

Outside of that, yes i will take the vendors own word. Why? because every product that he ever built has been exactly as stated. The 944Racing Shoft shift kit had clearance issues in some vehicles. The Vendor gladly repaired/modified the ones that had issues and sent them back free of charge. The Design 1 SS kit wont have any of the issues the 944Racing short shift kit had (just like the D1 STB doesnt have any issues associated with the KLA Bace). Outside of that, the 944racing SS kit was used as a base, and the design 1 kit should basically be better.

The D1 SS Kit should also be compatible with the Stuttgart Shiftblock, which is important to me. From what i understand, the 944Racing SS kit is not compatible (i may be wrong on that). I'm very pleased with the Shiftblock and would love to keep it in the car.

Even if it isnt any better, it doesnt matter at the end of the day. What matters is that there will be a new Short Shift Kit available for our cars. So those of us who do not have one, can now get one without praying they find a long out of production unit that few if any people are willing to part with.
Whatever floats your boat. I've had three stb's, and each has been an upgrade. I wouldn't make any comments about fitment by KLA or ; didn't several of the 'chassis braces' need modification by the initial owners as well, and wasn't the design changed to reflect that? And once again, the 'designer' of the d1 stb jumped up and down stating that the KLA, properly fitted, was all the stb anyone needed. For the minor few who had clearance issues (several of which were installed improperly) he produced a product that no one needed.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given the low production figure's for the car, I am surprised anyone would try to market a product for the 968, especially with all the naysayers.

Thankfully, there are still a few company's making products for the 968.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Whatever floats your boat. I've had three stb's, and each has been an upgrade. I wouldn't make any comments about fitment by KLA or ; didn't several of the 'chassis braces' need modification by the initial owners as well, and wasn't the design changed to reflect that? And once again, the 'designer' of the d1 stb jumped up and down stating that the KLA, properly fitted, was all the stb anyone needed. For the minor few who had clearance issues (several of which were installed improperly) he produced a product that no one needed.

I've been reading many of these threads here in rennlist. It is obvious that you have some sort of grudge against Bob Larson. Why or how it started makes no difference to me. Banning his or Pete's products is your loss at the end of the day.

So what if he created a product nobody needs? So did so many other venders, like D-Nine. Many vendors offer the same exact products for our cars. Some are better then others. As far as the KLA sturt brace, Mine is installed 100% properly, and my vanity cover still hits the brace under load. I never had the issues with dimples on my hood. Simply put, the D1 brace is a better product then the KLA Brace.

I am a supporter of D1's product. And will be upgrading to the D1 Strut Brace. I'll finally be able to get my hands on a true short shift kit thanks to D1, and I was able to get a lower chassis brace on my car that cleared the Header...again thanks to D1.

I find it commical that you bash D1 for creating products that "nobody needs", yet praise some other vendors that have done the same....whatever floats your boat right.....
Old 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Can't we stick to the product and whether it's good, bad, or indifferent for our cars?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

sounds like a plan.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The Design 1 Strut Brace is a better design then the KLA sturt brace (i have a KLA personally, only because the Design 1 brace was not yet avail. when i bought mine).
Are you kidding me. I have personally seen the D1 brace flex like a bow. I didn't ever mention it before because people would cry that I was bashing his products. You could not bend a KLA brace. If there are any issues, it clearance, thats it. D1 brace flexes, I have 1st hand experience. Those notches in the center section to make it look pretty really did a number on its rigidity. You might want to test its rigidity before you purchase one.
Raj
Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Are you kidding me. I have personally seen the D1 brace flex like a bow. I didn't ever mention it before because people would cry that I was bashing his products. You could not bend a KLA brace. If there are any issues, it clearance, thats it. D1 brace flexes, I have 1st hand experience. Those notches in the center section to make it look pretty really did a number on its rigidity.
Raj
I'm sure you have.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Yes I did and it was on Steve's car. He can attest to the flexing. I laughed so hard when I saw it happen. Hey, believe what you like. Go put one on your car. Good luck with the rigidity .
Raj
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

perhaps you are right. But i will take your word with a grain of salt, as you have an agenda. I'll do my own testing.

if worst comes to worst. I'll sell it after buying it, or install it on my buddys bone stock 968.

In regards to the clearance issues, i dont know how much truth there is to it; but i found out the OEM Turbo RS Strut Brace may also have clearance issues and the vanity cover must be removed to use it on an N/A 968.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:17 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Not really. If I did, I would have said something when it happened but I let it go. Only reason I brought it up was because you are hailing it to be better than KLA.
Like I said, buy it and enjoy it, LOL.
Raj
Old 02-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

of course i hailed it to be better. It didnt have any of the issues associated with the KLA brace. No dimples quite a few people had on their hood and no clearance issues. Wether or not the rigidity is an issue is to be determined. But like i said, you have an Agenda. Therefore, when it comes to Design 1 or RS Barn products, i will take you word with agrain of salt.

Outside of that, i'll be glad to report my finding after i get the brace. I dont carry an allegiance to any 1.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

BTW, you claim to have the most powerful NA 968. Care to setup a dyno day? I will bring mine, you bring yours?
Maybe we can get a few other folks as well. I figured you are local
Raj
Old 02-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Design 1 brace on my car does flex like crazy in the center section, Raj is speaking the truth. If I had the opportunity I would run a Dynatech over anything else...minus the original topic of this thread.

Steve

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo RS Strut Brace