968 Forum 1992-1995

Overheating problem experiment - w/pics- yes I was bored

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Overheating problem experiment - w/pics- yes I was bored

So I wandered to the garage last night and continued to live in denial that my waterpump impeller is shot and thought maybe it's something else.

Bled the system, and mounted temperature sensors in the block and in the radiator to see EXACTLY WTF is going on. Since the block seems like it is getting hot but the system has no pressure and the fans do not come on I had to know. The results in my mind say waterpump. Started out at low temp with the radiator at 65 degrees and the block 63F. As I ran the car the block slowly started to increase and the radiator never moved. After 5 mins or as the block crossed over into the 120 degrees range the radiator jumped to 74.7F. I assume the thermostat opened. From there the rad temp never got higher than 74F as the block temp ran up to redline. just below 190 I shut the car down. Guess the temp gauge in the dash is working...
Pulled both sensors and they read within a degree of each other- experiment over

The car is not moving coolant- a moment of silence please. What pumps have you guys used. I replaced one in the 951 but never in the cab. Ideas or experiences welcomed. Other while I am in there ideas also ? -

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by notthd; 09-24-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I buy the rebuilt ones from Paragon. Some people will tell me I'm nuts, but I've not had any problems to date.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I would be very interested to see if its actually your impeller. They seem to last a while on 968's.
Raj
Old 02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I would be very interested to see if its actually your impeller. They seem to last a while on 968's.
Raj
So what do you think Raj- no heat, no movement, engine hot, rad not, new thermostat, bled several times, what could be wrong besides the impeller..?

I am in no hurry to trash the garage. It is back to orginized and neat, I just got the cab back together after cosmetic refurbishment- it figures....
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you blead the line does it flow well (gotta flow from WP movement, not just pressure right??)??? How are the fans and how low of a temp do they start?? Thermostat?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AZ968Cab
When you blead the line does it flow well (gotta flow from WP movement, not just pressure right??)??? How are the fans and how low of a temp do they start?? Thermostat?
When the pump is working properly the flow is noticeably higher than it is now, the fans do work when you put on the AC switch, the thermo is new as is the fan sensor. Since the temp never gets above 74 degrees in the radiator they never come on. Thought it might have been the WP or thermo initially because even with the fans manually turned on full they did not cool the motor.

Good ideas though... Cheers Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raj
Seen a few of them broken.

Mike I have a good pump that has less than 1,000 miles on it that I replaced when I was throwing parts at an issue. Probably has less than 500 miles on it since I was afraid to drive the damn thing.

Last edited by SpeedBump; 02-12-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Mark- would love to have it if it is that low miles on it- PMed you, Thanks

Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
968rz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My impeller came loose from the shaft (OEM Pump). The symptom was on the highway it ran fine (normal temp) as soon as I took my foot out of it and started to slow down the temp would shoot up.
The impeller wasn't bouncing around it was just spinning on the shaft at will.

What I did to daig it was shove a hanger in the WP outlet and turn the pump, I knew it was loose because I could stop the impeller and still turn the pulley.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess they are getting old. I changed mine on the cab at 118k when I redid the engine.
Maybe a thread about how many people have changed their waterpumps, why and at how many miles might help us determine what their life span is.
Raj
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, Sunset Imports has a complete kit (all seals, gaskets, bolts, ETC, that is new in the box) for a decent price: $249.00. I bought this kit and it worked perfectly!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 96 Posts

I had an impeller spin on my 1990 S2. I was told it had a new waterpump, belts, rollers, etc. when I got it, and the belts were clearly new but after I got in there I found the waterpump was OEM with 145k on it and the rollers, seals, etc. needed to be replaced.

I was tempted to pin or tack weld the impeller on the rebuilt pump I installed, but I didn't.
-Joel.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:24 AM
9x8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess they are getting old. I changed mine on the cab at 118k when I redid the engine.
Maybe a thread about how many people have changed their waterpumps, why and at how many miles might help us determine what their life span is.
Raj
Mine came loose from the shaft at about 95K miles (149K km, euro car), it looked like it still was factory one.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:36 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I still haven't even touched the car. She is still awaiting attention since I have been out of town working since Feb or so. My car is still under 100K miles and she is due for some love.

so while I am in there... Pump, Belts, and what..? Are rollers a common replaced part, seals as needed or change anyway. I also need to check/replace the cam guides since they have never been done. Just when she is looking perfect I guess I can shell out a few more $$$ on mechanics.... Would of rather performed it at my convience but oh well.

Ideas? thoughts? snide remarks welcomed- Cheers, Mike
Old 05-03-2009, 03:38 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my '93 a year ago. At that time, the belts were done just a month before (according to a receipt from a dealership), with waterpump, seals, etc. Just monday when I was driving to school, I hear screeching intermittently from the engine. After school I go to work and rack it up, take off the timing cover, run it, and WOW! The waterpump pulley is wobbling noticeably, and the belt is slipping on it.

The car has been running at about the 2nd line on the temp gauge the whole time we've had it.

I changed the WP, all front seals and o-rings, the BS front sleeves, oil pump drive gear, belts, rollers, and a low temp thermostat. Now it runs at just over the first line on the gauge! Stupid F'ing dealerships.... they must have used a junk rebuilt WP or just not replaced it at all!

Quick Reply: Overheating problem experiment - w/pics- yes I was bored