968 Forum 1992-1995

Overheating problem experiment - w/pics- yes I was bored

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Because this engine is an interference engine...and because impellers have been known to come off and bearings wear out..trashing engines.....I would recommend replacing the water pump with each cam belt change. It happens way too often with 928 engines.

H2
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Mike, what was the final verdict? Did you replace the water pump?

I ask because I am now having issues as well. I've determined that the thermostat does open at temperature and the fans do turn on. However, the fans are not able to cool the car enough to shut off. No oil in the water and no water in the oil so the head casket should be fine. I'm thinking the impeller is spinning freely and not pumping water.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Mike, what was the final verdict? Did you replace the water pump?

I ask because I am now having issues as well. I've determined that the thermostat does open at temperature and the fans do turn on. However, the fans are not able to cool the car enough to shut off. No oil in the water and no water in the oil so the head casket should be fine. I'm thinking the impeller is spinning freely and not pumping water.
I am sad to say no- I haven't touched the car except to move it. She gets taken around the block and brought home before it overheats but thats it. I have been deployed since last august- it feels so good to be home. In between assignments I rebuilt a front diff for the tow beast, rebuilt my wifes Z after a deer hit and a new 502 for my boat because I spun a main bearing on the starboard motor. I REALLY want to get to the 968 and hope to in the weeks to follow. I keep everone posted.--- I have had an issue similar to yours and it turned out to be radiator gunk and crap in the vanes screwing up the heat transfer. Got a spare to try- or I have one you can borrow on the shelf.

Good to hear from you- hope all is well.- Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: Overheating problem experiment - w/pics- yes I was bored