968 Forum 1992-1995

KW Suspension - Clubsport Model

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:26 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts
Default KW Suspension - Clubsport Model

Hello all, this is my first post here, looking forward to more. I am seeking input on an upgraded suspension set up for my 1993 968CS (MO30). In particular i am interested in
1: feedback on the new KW Variant Clubsport Cystem vs KW V3
2: suggestions for other complete systems I should consider
3: advise on what, in addition to the strut and shocks, I should change and where to source.....that last one is probably a bit broad but I would appreciate some help. There are so many bits for sale, I honestly am a little confused what to fit.

Background
The purpose of the car is for fun, it is not a daily driver. The car is going to do the NSW round of the Porsche club series in 2009 (my first time in this). This consists of circuit work (supersprints) and some motorkana work. I may also do the 2009 Dutton Rally (http://www.duttonrally.com/), a 3 day tarmac rally. I just completed this event in a BMW 135i (with diff and coilovers) and enjoyed coming equal 2nd in class b, winning rookie team, and top 10 outright team position. I have driven in a few events before, and done a fair few track days over a period of about 15 years, typically doing pretty well, so am happy to really do a well designed upgrade and would like to be very competitive handling wise.

BMW pics here if you are interested--> http://www.motorsportfotos.com/galle...5_075.JPG.html

Last edited by MC 968CS; 09-13-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't really give you a comparison of the different kw, but I have a custom spec'd set of kw's on my 968, think they are pretty close to clubsport spec,100f 60r, Only driven them on my non cs 968 , I had them made for my turbo conversion but I did a fair number of track days on them with it standard, they are great(actually surprisingly comfortable), and didn't require a lot of tuning to get the car a reasonable set up.Of course you could find more expensive options.
Other things to consider are strut braces(top and bottom) and the poly bronze bushes for the rear and camber plates.Would advise you check the ball joints on the a arms.
Oh yeah I run in the PCNSW, it is a lot of fun, there has been some quick times set by club sports, what is the history of your car?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Thanks Rod. Would be keen to keep in touch given we are both in NSW. Your suspension feedback is appreciated. Who works on your car(s)?

History of my 968 - I purchased it in New Zealand a couple of years ago when working as an expat there. It was purchased from same family who bought new from Porsche NZ. Car was a factory MO30 spec car, one of 7 in NZ I believe, and was very highly regarded through the Porsche Club there. It is in superb condition, so when I returned to Sydney recently I could not part with it and it now lives in Australia too. It is stock, though I have a custom exhaust that does nothing bar sound brilliant with it on. It is not (yet) turbo.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Always good to here of more 968's, my turbo is a crazy thing, but Buchanan Automotive do most of my work, it is the only place you I know that will be have a number of front engine porsches in their shop(I have one in there now!)
They are on the northern beaches, worth the trip.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:48 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 657 Likes on 319 Posts

Forget about suspension work start by getting steering wheel on the correct side.
Rich
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You should send a PM to 333pg333 as he has a set of Clubsport KW's on his 951. Even better, he is in Australia (possibly Sydney) and you might be able to convince him to let you try before you buy.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Small world. Howdy, we actually met and spoke at one of the events earlier last year. I am with the car in the photo. Actually Solo I've got a similar setup to Rod and would pretty much echo Rod's thoughts overall. I think mine are slightly stiffer in the front than Rods but very similar. Refraining from going through the time and probable cost increase of the custom 2 or 3 way race options, I think the clubsports would be ideal for what you're after. The great advantage I think is in the valving of the KWs. They really do allow you to ride over ripples, bumps, and irregularities without unsettling the car. The valves open up when you do this and quickly close off once back on the smooth stuff. All this takes milliseconds.
Where are you looking at purchasing the KWs? You can try the source which is:
http://www.inmotive.com.au/ Speak to Dragan. I'm not sure if they're doing complete installation though. You will need to re index your torsion bars.
Buchanan Automotive installed mine as well, and in my opinion is the only place to take your car for work.
Hope to see you at the track this year and the front engined boys can launch another successful season.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2009, 12:22 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Great, thank you I will follow that up, and look forward to seeing you out on the track!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Question

One question - what does "re-index" your torsion bars mean...?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
One question - what does "re-index" your torsion bars mean...?

When the rear coilovers are installed the ride height has to be adjusted to compensate that is done by 're indexing', rotating the torsion bar splines.A bit more fiddly(time consuming) than a simple coil over height adjustment.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Rod (thingo) ,this is the first turbo I have ever seen that comes with its own cell phone .
Regards .BB.

Quick Reply: KW Suspension - Clubsport Model