968 Forum 1992-1995

front bumper alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:41 PM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumper alignment

my front bumper doen not close the gap between it and the fenders to allow the cover strip to fill the gap, leaving it loose and untidy. Is there any secret to installing this to look like factory?is there any missing parts in my bumper that is leaving the gap to large.

Any input will be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Jpr

Last edited by JPR; 10-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

When you install it, do you completely push it in while tightening the side screws? You might want a 2nd person pushing it in while you tighten the inner fender section to the bumper cover.
Raj
Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Raj is spot on with needing 2 people. I've had a few "Bumps" with my bumper and was able to adjust it by loosening the mounting screws inside the fender well and re-tightening with someone maintaining pressure in the appropriate direction.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

THe guys are right about having a helping hand. Here are some things to try. With the bolts on the sides out can you close the gap to the hood within 1/4" if not some other alignments need to happen. In your pic it looks to me like the center needs to push in 1/8" or so Test fit the cover center bolts only and see if you can close this gap first.

If you are satisfied with the center gap there a little trick can help you keep the molding where it looks stock and proper. Use Marine SS staples to hold them in place. Sounds crazy but is done more often than you think. Make sure you staple as close to the insdie as possible so they do not show.

Install the cover center bolts first and pull the sides back with a friend. You should be able to close the gaps to about this width and look.

I hope this helps. Sometimes it just takes patience..

Good luck- Mike

Quick Reply: front bumper alignment