968 Forum 1992-1995

Help diagnosing oil leak....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help diagnosing oil leak....

Hi guys, I know that this can be difficult without seeing it, but in this case I know where the oil leak is coming from, I just don't know what cap/plug/part this is. I have researched the PET and I still can't tell.

OK, this leak is significant when the engine is running. I drips about a drop every 15-20 seconds when the car is idling in my driveway, and in about 15 minutes it left a new leak about the size of the top of coke can. When the car is sitting and not running, I hardly get a drop.

OK here is my description of where it is:

- From under the car, if you locate the drain plug on the oil pan, move straight up past the oil level sender is in the middle of the pan.

- Right above where the oil pan gasket is and under the exhaust manifold there is some kind of housing with 4-6 bolts in it.

- On the end of this housing facing the rear of the car, there is a small port/plug that is about 1.5-2.0 inches across. This is the plug from where I am getting the oil leak when the engine is running.

- To better descripe this plug, there is a small area in the middle of this "plug" that is recessed. This recessed area is totally round and smooth, no allen wrench etc. This plug just spins around and around and doesn't appear to thread into the housing/block. I can move it in and out by about an 1/8 of an inch, and when the engine is running it is actually vibrating in and out and spinning slightly. If I put light pressure on it I can hold it in and stop the leak, but as soon as I let pressure off of it, the vibrating begins and it starts to drip.

- What is this plug and how hard is it to repair? I am a pretty good shade tree mechanic but I don't know if this one is better left to my independant.

- Also, if anyone knows what this plug is, would it be safe to drive my car approx 30 miles to my mechanic, or am I asking for a catastrophic failure of this plug, therefore dumping all my oil at once.

I know this description was long, but I have tried to give enough detail to help diagnose it.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like balance ahaft, but leave it to the experts to fill in..
Old 11-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oil pressure relief valve and oil filter mount assembly?

I'm going through this right now with my 951. Having the OPC replace the gasket and OPRV o-rings, etc. to the tune of 4.5 shop hours. YMMV
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like the balance shaft to me. Overfill the car 1/5 Q and keep a very good eye on the oil pressure. You could check it 1/2 way.

Mike
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Jim- not exactly sure where you are refering to but there are some places that can leak in the oil- water cooling assy. The pushing in puzzles me , so here is a question. Using this drawing is the part maybe number 10? or 19? 10 is the oil relief valve assy and does have threads that are torqued in at 33ftlbs. Part 19 is what I am guess is leaking, it has 2- O rings behind it and it is bonded in place with loctite 649.- so no threads and it would leak most likely only when you have oil pressure if the seal had dry rotted. Hope this helps- Let us know if you find it- Cheers, Mike

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Guys.....thanks for the info. At first I thought it might be the OPRV as well (nbr 10 in the picture), but the PET looks like this has a head I could get a wrench on and is threaded. But what is leaking on mine I can't.

19 looks like it to me. Is this the rear balance shaft seal? I will research, but what is involved in replacing?

Thanks again to all for the replys.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:08 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It the rear plug on your lower balance shaft housing. They are prone to leak. You could do a ghetta fix (I am very much against these) for the interim by using permatex gasket maker. Next time you are due for belts, I would go ahead and have them reseal both balance shaft housings.
I have heard people do this with the engine in the car but its a bit of a pain because the passenger side motor mount is in the way.
Raj
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Raj,
Thanks for the info. I was afraid it was balance shaft seals. My belts aren't even a year old so new belts aren't on the schedule for awhile.

Do you have any experience changing it with the engine in the car? How difficult is it?

I did see the problems with the mount.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine was done with the engine in the car.

Mike
Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jim, its one of the 10mm bolts that I can see as a problem. Worst case scenario, you remove the mount to get to it. Problem is that you will need to remove just about everything to get the entire housing off, belts have to come off, lower bs housing etc.
That is why I would say, go for the getto fix. I have seen it on cars and it seems to hold up fine for a while. Clean the area up and use plenty of Permatex. Next time you are due for belts, do it then.
Its much easier if the car is on the lift but for most of us, its not an option.
Raj
Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Thanks again guys. Looks like I have some decsions to make!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:47 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

Jim- while you are in there , if you do decide to remove the MM check it closely prior to install. That side is typical of eairly failure. These cars have a habit of cracking the PS fluid res fittings and also the PS return hose, which can distribute PS fuild on the sway arm bushings and the MM. Depending on when or how long ago this may have occured may mean MM change out in the near future. The fuild degrades the rubber. Happen in my last car.

Just a thought.... Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing oil leak....