968 Forum 1992-1995

Transmission removal made easy

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Transmission removal made easy

Here is a quick overview of the transmission removal and install - Trust me is VERY EASY but a transmission jack is helpful. I have done it in a gravel drive with no jack and in the garage with music playing and all the right eq- you decide your level of aggravation...

1- Find a plasma torch- kidding- jack and secure the car on stands or ramps. -

2- Undo the shafts at the transmission and suspend the CV and shafts. No need to take them off- I use speed wire to hold them high

3- Disconnect the connector for the reverse light switch- easy to see and find its in the bottom pic to the left of the transmission mount.

4- Push the shift rod bellows to the rear and unscrew clamping screw. Dissconnect teh shift rod from the intermediate lever.

5- Pull the dust plate and rotate the torque tube to access the Allen bolts of the clamping tube- remove the bolts- PUSH THE SLEEVE TOWARDS THE TRANSMISSION until it clears the shaft. Not towards the engine..You can use and extension and a swivel to make it easier.-- SEE TOP PICTURE BELOW

6- Block or suspend the torque tube

7- Position the Trans jack or floor jack and remove the transmission mount bolts SEE BOTTOM PIC ABOVE

8- Remove the transmission / central tube bolts

9- Pull the transmission to the rear and lower and done!!!!

Simple enough- install torques are Trans to tube for the M12 its 63ftlb, the M10 is 31 ft-lb, the Shift rod is 15ftlbs, the mount is 17ftlbs and the drive shaft bolts 31 ft-lb..

Good luck, its easy enough- Mike

Last edited by notthd; 03-29-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Mike!

There's also this, from clark's garage, but your version sounds easier.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-03.htm
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Thanks Mike!

There's also this, from clark's garage, but your version sounds easier.
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-03.htm
That is a very detailed version but you do not have to go through all of that. There is nothing electrical except the reverse switch, IE battery, then go through reprograming the radio, you do not had to dissconnect anything at the shifter, etc... even the factory manual does not go into that much detail... that being said, IMHO it's overkill.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Mike for the write up.
Just to add..
You have to disconnect the shifter rod from the transmission. You can do this by undoing the 13mm bolt that holds the shifter rod to the transmission rod. It is usually covered with a rubber piece. You will nee to slide the rubber piece off to find it.
It helps angling the transmission in a manner where you clear the shifter rod from the transmission hole. I try to turn the transmission towards the exhaust side to clear the rod.
Harbor Freights sells a transmission jack that is inexpensive and works well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178

Good luck.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 02-29-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Good catch Raj thanks, - I added the step in its appropriate place.

I am pushing off until tommorrow looking at the Cab- Work has me busy- I am just getting to eat lunch at 2:30..... I'll call you Mike
Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by notthd
That is a very detailed version but you do not have to go through all of that. There is nothing electrical except the reverse switch, IE battery, then go through reprograming the radio, you do not had to dissconnect anything at the shifter, etc... even the factory manual does not go into that much detail... that being said, IMHO it's overkill.
Yep, I like your version more . At least for the 968 anyway.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I JUST did this an hour ago:

4- Push the shift rod bellows to the rear and unscrew clamping screw. Dissconnect teh shift rod from the intermediate lever.
Get inside the car, undo the shifter boot and undo the shifter from the shift rod. You will need to move the shifter rod as far forward as humanly possible, or else it will catch on the tranny housing when you are trying to drop the tranny. This will take an extra 3 minutes, but will save you a lifetime when trying to drop the tranny.

5- Pull the dust plate and rotate the torque tube to access the Allen bolts of the clamping tube- remove the bolts- PUSH THE SLEEVE TOWARDS THE TRANSMISSION until it clears the shaft. Not towards the engine..You can use and extension and a swivel to make it easier.-- SEE TOP PICTURE BELOW
Get someone to hop in and push the clutch in so that you can rotate the clamping tube. Once you have the 4 bolts out, use a big flathead, and wedge it into the the slits on the clamping tube, tap it with a hammer and get it to open up a bit. This will make it WAY easier to slide the clamping tube back towards the tranny.

Also

You don't NEED to drop the exhaust, and you don't NEED to disconnect the CV shafts from the wheels, but it's makes life SO much easier the first time you are doing it, having all that extra room.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:13 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Also, when you install it back, use some kind of lubricant on the input shaft spines and torque tube splines so next time its much easier to slide the coupler.
I do exactly what Rich said, open up the coupler a bit once the transmission is out of the car.
Thanks Rich.
Raj
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I've done this a couple times but it's good to read all this info on here.

What kind of jack do you guys use? Specific brand, or dimensions? I have always used a plain floor jack with a large cup and a board of plywood. No, it does NOT work well. Next time I'm going to buy a transmission jack but I'm not sure if any one is better or worse than another.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Arash, in case you missed it in my earlier post
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39178
Raj
Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Raj, I was just curious what others use. Harbor Freight is da bomb, I need to make another trip there. When I was living in Socal there was one 10 minutes away... now the nearest one is an hour away .
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

If its any consolaton, we got our 1st Harbor Freight locally. Until now, we had no options.
Raj
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
progenitor04
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my tranny wont come out any one have any ideas it would help alot.. everything is disconnected no bolts are attached i cant get the damn thing down!!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Prog, lets check a few things 1st.
Is the coupler off completely?
Are all 4 bolts that hold bellhousing to torque tube out?
Are the two 13mm transmission mount bolts out?
There are two dowel pins on the two upper holes on the torque tube. Maybe one of them is jammed.
I would try lighting transmission higher to see if that helps loosen things.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 03-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll bet a case of beer that the shifter rod is stuck on the transmission housing.

Disconnect the shifter inside the car and move the shifter rod as far forward as possible.

Quick Reply: Transmission removal made easy