968 Forum 1992-1995

New 968 Owner - Steering/Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Jeff from Sunset has been very good over the yrs and his curteous service is something I would like to share with everyone. There are other places with excellent service but they can't compete with Sunset on oem parts pricing.
Raj
I know there are multiple conversations going on here, but are you suggesting for me to purchase the bushings at Sunset instead of Paragon? Confused...
If so, do you have some contact info I can use?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Originally Posted by stolarzj
You can get the hoses from Paragon or Pelican Parts. The hose from the oil cooler to the reservoir is only purchasable as a entire unit with the cooler, I pulled the cooler out and had a hydraulic shop replace just the rubber hose, about $25. You may also want to replace the reservoir it has a filter integrated into it. The rack is the most likely culprit of the leak, if you pull back the boots from either side of the rack and find fluid the rack needs to be replaced. The rack is $183 from AutoZone with a LLT warranty. If it's leaking on your sway bar bushing expect to replace that also.

Also only use ATF in the system, power steering fluid will cause the seals in the system to start leaking.
Is there a DIY on how to replace the rack? It appears that is indeed the culprit.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't mean to confuse anyone about buying the seals from Sunset. I just meant in general, for oemparts Sunset Porsche has the best prices.
Raj
Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 AM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gentleman Driver
Is there a DIY on how to replace the rack? It appears that is indeed the culprit.
Clarks Garage ought to be able to help out with the DIY http://www.clarks-garage.com/ it's really very easy. You can buy your parts where ever you like, I personally use Paragon and Pelican for most parts and go to Sunset for the OEM Porsche parts that only Porsche dealers have.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Clarks Garage ought to be able to help out with the DIY http://www.clarks-garage.com/ it's really very easy. You can buy your parts where ever you like, I personally use Paragon and Pelican for most parts and go to Sunset for the OEM Porsche parts that only Porsche dealers have.
Thanks for the link. I have to say the rack replacement does not look easy though... maybe I am a too much of a novice though. Sounds like I spoke too soon. $600+ for the rack and it looks like about 4 hours of labor will set my back about a grand... damn.

Is it worth replacing all of the bushings and then saving up for the rack replacement or would that defeat the purpose and just ruin the new bushings?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the link. I have to say the rack replacement does not look easy though... maybe I am a too much of a novice though. Sounds like I spoke too soon. $600+ for the rack and it looks like about 4 hours of labor will set my back about a grand... damn.

Is it worth replacing all of the bushings and then saving up for the rack replacement or would that defeat the purpose and just ruin the new bushings?
The rack is only $173 at Autozone with a LLT warranty. It really isn't that bad and you really don't need to remove the tie rod ends from the car, you can just unscrew the tie rods from the rack before you unbolt the rack from the car. I've done few on them over the years, the first time you do one might take you a little longer but once you really look at it, you will see it's not that bad. If your shop is doing it ask them if you can bring your own rack to them or ask them to buy the rack from Autozone, you will need the old one back for the core.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

The rack is only $173 at Autozone with a LLT warranty. It really isn't that bad and you really don't need to remove the tie rod ends from the car, you can just unscrew the tie rods from the rack before you unbolt the rack from the car. I've done few on them over the years, the first time you do one might take you a little longer but once you really look at it, you will see it's not that bad. If your shop is doing it ask them if you can bring your own rack to them or ask them to buy the rack from Autozone, you will need the old one back for the core.
OK, but is it an OEM replacement? I am concerned about an AutoZone part that costs $173 when the "rebuilt" racks cost $600+.

Honestly, as I am thinking about it, I don't remember actually seeing any fluid on the rack, just underneath the reservoir and down the right side of the car bottom, which was why the swaybar bushing was shot. So I am going to replace the bushings and do some more investigation on where the leak is coming from.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

One more thing, is there someone who sells the front swaybar bushings? I am having trouble finding those replacements...

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

One more thing, is there someone who sells the front swaybar bushings? I am having trouble finding those replacements...

Thanks!
Paragon has the bushings. The AutoZone rack is a OEM ZF rack that has been rebuilt at Atsco in Arizona. I been running it for some time and other Rennlisters have used them without issue. It has a LLT warranty on it so if you have issues bring it back. Most other racks ever from Porsche don't have a warranty beyond 90 days. If you pull back the boot from both sides of the rack and find fluid in there then it's the rack, also pull the plug from the centering hole and if have fluid there it's also bad. It sounds like you have some leaking from the hoses to the reservoir.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Jeff from Sunset has been very good over the yrs and his curteous service is something I would like to share with everyone. There are other places with excellent service but they can't compete with Sunset on oem parts pricing.
Raj
+1

There is no reason sunset shouldn't be your first call. Great service and great prices, you can't ask for more.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:52 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

I know there are multiple conversations going on here, but are you suggesting for me to purchase the bushings at Sunset instead of Paragon? Confused...
If so, do you have some contact info I can use?

Thanks
If I need aftermarket stuff I usually go with paragon. OEM parts to sunset. They are both great vendors so get to know them and use them both. Although paragon has had some issues getting the right boxes, with the right stuff, going to the right address, but they always get it fixed at their expense.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Honestly, as I am thinking about it, I don't remember actually seeing any fluid on the rack, just underneath the reservoir and down the right side of the car bottom, which was why the swaybar bushing was shot. So I am going to replace the bushings and do some more investigation on where the leak is coming from.
Have you changed the hose that goes from the PS reservoir to the pump? That one is a known leaker when it gets old.

Clean it all up first so you can get a good idea where it's coming from. These kind of leaks can sometimes be deceptive about their source. Spray it down with some degreaser or brake cleaner so there is no fluid visible and drive it around the block a couple of times and take a look for the leak.

Where are you located? Maybe post over on the big 944 board for some local help from someone that has done it. All 944s have this problem and most 944 owners are well acquainted with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!

Many places will not list small parts on their site. Just give them a call.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Bump.

Are the castor blocks an easy replacement? They look rather easy to get to, but I don't have a local alignment guy yet so I am afraid that if I replace them I shouldn't drive the car until it is aligned...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Bump.

Are the castor blocks an easy replacement? They look rather easy to get to, but I don't have a local alignment guy yet so I am afraid that if I replace them I shouldn't drive the car until it is aligned...
Real easy, just unbolt the old and bolt in the new. You can drive on it afterwards, try to get it in about the same spot, then get it alinged when your ready.

Quick Reply: New 968 Owner - Steering/Suspension Issue