Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

New 968 Owner - Steering/Suspension Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, if your steering rack bushings are shot from steering fluid then your caster blocks are most likely shot also.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 PM
StewHatch
Racer

I've experienced a similar issue and need to install new bushings and ball joints. Raj - my thoughts are that today's OEM replacement parts are that much better than what the factory installed when new. I weighed adding solid bushings and HP parts vs (modern) OEM parts and my opinion is that I ought to replace with new, modern OEM bushings and ball joints: the added cost for the high perf parts won't be worth the $$$ for the driving I do. The car is an almost daily driver (spring to autumn only) with a few AX thrown in. Will the solid bushings and HP parts make enough of a difference for me to reconsider? I've heard that solid bushings make a lot of noise on the street. Is this true?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Well, it was quite obvious that the rack bushings were shot. The control arms and ball joints looked good and there was no discernable play on either side, so I think new bushings will indeed solve the issue. I spent an hour and a half with the mechanic and we went underneath the car twice and all else looked well...
And after a drive it appears the car really is in good shape, so hopefully changing out the bushings I should be sorted. The springs and shocks/struts also seem to be fine, so it seems I will be avoiding any major unexpected costs!

Thanks again to all for the insight and I will check back in when I replace the bushings.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:37 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Did you look at the caster blocks?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Did you look at the caster blocks?
Honestly, I was not aware they could be an issue... so no. When I am changing out the bushings I will take a look, any recommendations on what to look for?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StewHatch
I've experienced a similar issue and need to install new bushings and ball joints. Raj - my thoughts are that today's OEM replacement parts are that much better than what the factory installed when new. I weighed adding solid bushings and HP parts vs (modern) OEM parts and my opinion is that I ought to replace with new, modern OEM bushings and ball joints: the added cost for the high perf parts won't be worth the $$$ for the driving I do. The car is an almost daily driver (spring to autumn only) with a few AX thrown in. Will the solid bushings and HP parts make enough of a difference for me to reconsider? I've heard that solid bushings make a lot of noise on the street. Is this true?

You really only need solid bushings for a car that spends time on the track and/or uses R compound tires. If I were you, I'd just get the OE replacements. Cheaper and less maintenance. Solid bushings aren't really intended for DD type mileage/usage.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gentleman Driver
Honestly, I was not aware they could be an issue... so no. When I am changing out the bushings I will take a look, any recommendations on what to look for?
Swelling and deterioration just like the rack bushings.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 AM
StewHatch
Racer

Thanks Chris. I'll check w/ Raj's guys at Sunset for the requisite parts. I really appreciate all the help.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StewHatch
Thanks Chris. I'll check w/ Raj's guys at Sunset for the requisite parts. I really appreciate all the help.
I didn't know Raj worked at Sunset
Old 01-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chris luckett
I didn't know Raj worked at Sunset
With the knowledge Raj has, maybe.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His cars must be really fast for him to get to Oregon and back to from the east coast every day!!!

Steve
Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He may have more parts in stock than Sunset. I still don't know how his wife lets him get away with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:44 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

I had the same issue after the rack developed a leak in my 951 at 165K miles. Rebuilt the rack- PIA I would not do it again, replaced the bushings for the rack, a ball joint and the sway bar bushings thanks to fluid going everywhere and degrading the rubber components--- so Check it all while you are under there.- good luck with your new baby!! Mike
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeff from Sunset has been very good over the yrs and his curteous service is something I would like to share with everyone. There are other places with excellent service but they can't compete with Sunset on oem parts pricing.
Raj
Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Originally Posted by notthd
I had the same issue after the rack developed a leak in my 951 at 165K miles. Rebuilt the rack- PIA I would not do it again, replaced the bushings for the rack, a ball joint and the sway bar bushings thanks to fluid going everywhere and degrading the rubber components--- so Check it all while you are under there.- good luck with your new baby!! Mike
I may need more information on this, is there a write-up or DIY for this? I fear that it may in fact be the rack leaking and not the plumbing as it is new up at the reservoir... Someone mentioned that Auto Zone sells the rack for a good price, so maybe I don't rebuild but just install. How difficult of a job is that?

Thanks

Quick Reply: New 968 Owner - Steering/Suspension Issue