Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Affordable service in Detroit area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Affordable service in Detroit area?

Hi all, I'm new here.

I have a 93 968 that needs a timing/balance belt service and am wondering if anyone may know of someone in the Detroit area with reasonable rates. What does this service ususally run? I've had quotes from $600.00 to $1300.00. At 70,000 mi. do I need to be replacing rollers and tensioner too?

Any help is much appreciated.

Mac
Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not an impossible DIY, and there are many here that could help you if you run into problems....you may want to consider doing it to get to know your car some!

Oh, and welcome to rennlist!

Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

I know when I'm in the area, I always see a lot of German cars at Monk's in Waterford, M-59. Wish I could tell you I recommend them, I've just remember others talking about them. That being said, I think 600 seems like a great deal for parts/labor if you trust the shop, I'm sure your just as interested in getting the best service not just the cheapest. You may also get a local guy from Rennlist to help you for the required payment of beer and maybe a Rennlist membership! Welcome, and put some pics up - that is a requirement you know....
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.
It would be next to impossible for someone to do the job for $600 including parts. Parts alone would run more than 1/2 of that. This is OEM Porsche parts. You don't want to use non Porsche timing and balance shaft belts. Too many documented failures within 10-20k from using non Porsche belts.
I would also do the cam timing chain and tensioner pad. This should be a 60K item on our cars but is hardly mentioned. You don't need to swap the tensioner since its hydraulic but you should do all rollers and belts. Also, if there is any sign of oil with front seals, be it upper or lower bs or crank, you should do those as well. Change the alternator and ps belt also.

Raj
Old 01-03-2008, 03:11 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Default thanks for the info

Hey, thanks for all the great info. I would like to think I could do it myself and I will certainly look into that.

There is the question of the $650.00 tensioning tool I seem to need to complete the process correctly. How does one aquire it without making that investment? Any other special tools?

OE Porsche parts from dealer or is there another good source for the belts/rollers, etc?

Mac
Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Depending on where you are in the Detroit area, there are some top notch shops. Monks in Waterford is one, Auto Europe in Birmingham, and Automotive Techniques in Farmington Hills. I've had work done on mine at the last two. I mostly use Automotive Techniques because they're closer to me (I'm in Livonia)
I've used German Motors in Troy to do some work on my old BWM 2002; but I don't see many P-cars in there (It's very close to work)
I've never used Monks, but those who have tell me they're good. A friend has used them for exclusively for his M3. I won't hesitate to recommend Auto Europe; although I've only had suspension work done there. Jeff at Automotive Techniques really knows his stuff - he's worked on many a 968 and 944, and more importatntly, he won't steer you wrong; he'll be very honest about what needs to be done.
Like others have mentioned, parts alone are almost $300, and figure on 3-4 hours labor.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

thanks, I hadn't heard about Automotive Techniques or Monks yet, I'll try them both.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You might be able to "borrow" the tool from someone. For Porsche parts, cheapest place is Sunset Porsche (800-346-0182). We are all here to help you if you want to tackle it yourself.
Raj
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

hey thanks, you guys are great!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:57 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mac,
Welcome to Rennlist, I figured I would see you on here sooner or later with your new car. It really is the best car forum I've found.

Quick Reply: Affordable service in Detroit area?