Resto continued- rear bumper install advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts
Lightbulb Resto continued- rear bumper install advice

The assembly continues and I would like to pass on what I have learned

When installing the rear bumper molding it is very important to buy new gaskets. I found JPAM Porsche Jaguar Parts in Vegas the cheapest anywhere. I was able to get all the molding pieces and they were in stock- had them in 2 days. (no association) when you install the gasket it is very important to resist the urge to snap in and run your finger down the seam to install - what happens is in the areas of the black arrow after time the gasket pulls out and will come out of the seam. This means off with the bumper to fix. SO SQUEEZE the gasket in and give it plenty of slack. It was also very important to clean out the groove of old glue or shady bodywork- I used a pick and a dremil tool with a cutting wheel. It cleans the slot perfect but keep a steady hand.

It also will help to put some glue (I used crazy) in the black area arrows and let it setup before installing. This helped me because originally when installing while aligning the bumper I pulled out a corner.

Last tip- the four gray arrows point to the rear clamps that hold on the bumper. Close them in about half way, tape them to the rear of the car- This will help keep them oriented when you lift it up and help keep them from spinning when you tighten them down. Set the bumper on the aluminum support and hook up the connectors for the lock and backup light - then lift and set.

Here is what it looks like done- now for the rest of the car-

Will keep you all posted- Mike
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks great, when you say rear bumper molding what do you mean exactly, the rear bumper assembly? It is all one piece, isn't it?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The beading fills in the gap between the bumper assembly and the rear quarters and the bottom edge of the trunk panel, I think that's what he means.

Mike, it's looking awesome!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The job is a PITA and needs to be done in a sequence or else, you go at it all over again .
Looks great.
Raj
Old 12-17-2007, 10:10 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys- the front is equally a PIA- but thats another post.

And the molding I refer to is just like Stephen says - its the beading between the body and the bumper.

Regards- Mike
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
rdhayward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This IS very helpful information.

Just wanted to chime in that I'm not having the same good luck with JPAM as did ntthd. I ordered a bunch of stuff (including this rear bumper cover gasket) yesterday, and they told me it will take until the end of next week at best for it to get to me.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Sorry- I might have wiped them out....

Quick Reply: Resto continued- rear bumper install advice