968 Forum 1992-1995

on a "Quest" for a 968

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM
rsfdoc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on a "Quest" for a 968

Read the post rules so I hope this is legal. Guess I'll find out if I get flamed or banned.As a PCA Quest member, found a 94 model with 113k miles. Per the pics, it looks pretty good. However, while e-mailing the owner, he informs me he had a new clutch at 94k and a front end "bushing" replaced. "Belts" are due in 5-10k. At near $15k, to me it sounds a little steep and should be more sorted out for that price. Would appreciate your learned opinions. (Would think a water pump, engine mounts, etc, etc would need to be replaced by now?) Should I start running away?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

It sounds good to me. When I bought mine it had 109k and it needed the bushings replaced. The water pump is much better in the 968 than the 944 I think so no worries there. Take it to a Porsche mechanic, not a dealership, and have a PPI done. The only things that need to be looked at which the mech will look at are the pinion bearing, shocks, variocam. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done the following to my coupe with 88k on it: (which is for sale at $13,500)

Bought the car in 10/2004- with 64,800 miles
Head freshened, 3 angle valve job, new variocam chain and pads, headgasket set
New trans fluid
New fuel filter
New cabin pollen filters
New ignition coil
Fuel injectors rebuilt at Marren fuel injection

1/2005
New power steering pump, fresh fluid

2/2005
New battery
Rebuilt starter from Sunset Porsche

5/2005 69,400 miles
New belts and rollers bought from Sunset Porsche

6/2006 78,000 miles
New magnacore wires
Control Arms Rebuilt by Dynamic European
New Castor Blocks
Replaced Oil Pan Gasket
New Motormounts from Sunset Porsche

2/2007 84,000 miles
Flush brake and clutch fluid
Replaced rear pads.

8/2007 88,000 miles
New plugs
Had the cams retimed to perfection
New valve cover gasket
Changed Trans fluid again
Changed Coolant with Zerex
Oil/filter change

Just some food for thought on how to maintain these cars....

Steve
Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
rsfdoc
Track Day

Yeah, but you put all the good stuff on your 95 cab! (j/k). Saw your 968, looks great.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure to have a PPI done. Lots of expensive parts could be at their breaking point w/ 113k besides just belts and water pump [variocam unit, camshafts, timing belt tensioner, etc]. What condition are the suspension and brakes in? Does the engine have any oil or coolant leaks? Is power steering fluid leaking and does everything on the interior work? I'd much rather go for a thoroughly sorted 968 like Steve's which has 20k miles on suspension and brakes plus all other major items taken care of already. Steve's 968 has excellent paint as well...you cannot judge paint condition from photos!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Trevor! I have found that the maintenance component of owning these cars is the most important part....mods are fun, but they don't improve a car that isn't running well to begin with. In my new cab, I've already done all the fluids and filters, and will be doing the belts and variocam maintenance shortly...just to be safe...

Steve

Last edited by Stephenwz968; 10-07-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 AM
rsfdoc
Track Day

Anyone have any suggestions where to look for a 968? I know about PCA/ Rennlist/ Autotrader/ cars.com/ craigslist. I guess the biggest problem is the distance. I live in Fl. and some of the cars are in, oh, I don't know, like, Jersey, Wyoming, etc. I've bought a 944 n/a and 911 locally(just got lucky). Bought a 951 in S. Fl. (drove there). Flying somewhere with fingers crossed would not be fun (leap of faith?). Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:19 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

RSFdoc, as you know, these cars were built in limited production. Its not like most other cars where you have plenty of variety. If you find a good example, you have to be willing to travel for it. The ONLY time I ever found a 968 locally was when I found the RB cabriolet. Every other time I had to travel atleast 4 hrs minimum and as much as 1800 miles. Same happened everytime I sold a 968, except for one time.
These cars are rare and good examples are becoming hard to find. You should consider yourself lucky when you find a good example and should be ready to travel for it.
Maintenance on these cars can be expensive. This makes a lot of these cars neglected examples. You can either buy a nice example and pay up front or buy a cheaper example and pay a LOT more later. We have all been down that road.
Just to give you an example. I sold a rare SY 968 Coupe with M030, LSD, big reds, sports seats, yada, yada, yada a few yrs back. I was asking top $$ and guess what, I got it. The asking price was based on its market worth and eliminated a lot of tire kickers. The car was mechanically and cosmetically perfect even though the clock showed 94K. I even guaranteed the potential buyer refund on airfare in case the car didn't meet their expectations or didn't match my description. The car is now at a great home and owned by an enthusiast who absolutely loves it and has been offered up to $5k over what I sold it for.
Take it for all its worth.
Good ones don't come around often. Consider yourself lucky if you find one and you should be willing to travel for it.
Raj
Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 92 6-speed with 109k on the clock for $9500. Interior is perfect. Exterior is in very good condition but needs trim seals. And of course usual mainainance stuff. I replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, alternator, battery, thermostat etc.

Kevin
Old 10-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Kwikt-had the belts been done prior to your purchase? How about the cam chain and pads?

Steve
Old 10-11-2007, 01:40 PM
rsfdoc
Track Day

Thanks Raj. That kind of response from experienced "Rennlisters" really helps. If I can use my teen's word, noobs like us need your wisdom. Regards, Bob.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Bob, you are very welcome. I will be in Palm Beach, Hobe Island and possibly Tampa next month. If you are close to any of those places, let me know and we can get together.
Regards.
Raj
Old 10-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Just to give you an example. I sold a rare SY 968 Coupe with M030, LSD, big reds, sports seats, yada, yada, yada a few yrs back. I was asking top $$ and guess what, I got it. The asking price was based on its market worth and eliminated a lot of tire kickers. The car was mechanically and cosmetically perfect even though the clock showed 94K. I even guaranteed the potential buyer refund on airfare in case the car didn't meet their expectations or didn't match my description. The car is now at a great home and owned by an enthusiast who absolutely loves it and has been offered up to $5k over what I sold it for.
How I wish I bought that car from Bruce.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Shamus, don't remind me. I really miss that car but I just couldn't justify leaving it at the train station everyday.
Hey, you did have a chance..

Raj
Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
saxman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsfdoc
Anyone have any suggestions where to look for a 968? I know about PCA/ Rennlist/ Autotrader/ cars.com/ craigslist. I guess the biggest problem is the distance. I live in Fl. and some of the cars are in, oh, I don't know, like, Jersey, Wyoming, etc. I've bought a 944 n/a and 911 locally(just got lucky). Bought a 951 in S. Fl. (drove there). Flying somewhere with fingers crossed would not be fun (leap of faith?). Any suggestions are appreciated.
I purchased my 968 off craigslist. Had to fly and get it(fortunately only about 400 miles away). You'll be extremely lucky if you find one in good shape locally.

Quick Reply: on a "Quest" for a 968