968 Forum 1992-1995

Pictures of 968 Engine, before and after

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:05 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of 968 Engine, before and after

Here are some before and after pictures. The engine is not complete... still waiting for the intake to come back from powdercoat.

Specs: complete rebuild, PP head, 4 angle valve job, perp-drilled crank, static and dynamic balance, Fidanza flywheel, 944S2 crank pulley, flow matched fuel injectors, oil pan gasket rails, wrapped exhaust manifolds.

Colin

Old 07-19-2007, 11:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, nice work. I plan to do something similar this winter to the cabriolet, but only if I get done with the turbo 1st.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They sure are pretty when they're clean! Looks great!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

I love it. How much did that run? I want to do something like that down the road.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Very nice You will like the crank pulley, it really cuts down on the vibration, so much so that I run solid motor mounts in my trackcar!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run solid motor mounts in my trackcar...

Lemming,

Do you get a lot of add'l vibration through the car due to the solid motor mounts?

What are the benefits...real life benefits.

Jason
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks fantastic! What did you use to get the aluminum parts so bright again?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:34 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! It was a lot of work.

Everything either got bead-blasted or cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. The block was not blasted as I did not want any chance of contaminance (instead I sent to through an in-line wash), and the head received minimal blasting on the gasket surface prior to welding the pits.

Valve cover hardware was custom made from stainless steel, tumbled and passivated.

All said and done, I figure that I've put around 4K into it. Major expenses were the head work ($1000) and crank work ($500). Lots of little things that added up. I went a bit overboard on putting new parts in there... but the theory is that if I replace everything, I SHOULD minimize the break-downs. My reasoning is that if I have to get the car towed and repaired while away from home, then I will have spent much more $$ then if I just replace everything now.

Next up - turbo motor for the other 968, or the 944.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Exactly my thinking. Replacing everything and reduce the chance of break downs. I'm guessing you also replaced everything Variocam too?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Never thought of doing it in black, looks beautiful... I might have to steal it for my 944 since I couldn't decide what I wanted when building it, I just kept everything clean.

What colour are you using for the vanity fuel rail cover?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

I'm going with Silver powdercoat on the fuel rail cover and intake manifold. Happens to be the same silver as my calipers (see below). It will be interesting to see how it all comes together. I just couldn't bolt that intake onto this engine without any topcoat. It looked nice because it was freshly bead-blasted, but that won't last for long. I want to be able to drive this car and keep it looking nice (not a trailer queen).

I replaced the Variocam chain and pads.

Colin

Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Since you got the intake off and the paint out.. I saw a Two Guys garage episode the other day, don't really put much weight into them since there big proponets of the tornado, and the episode was basically a commerical for Duplicolor. But they made a interesting comment, painting the underside of the intake with a high temp ceramic black paint to reduce the heat from the engine on the intake. Apparently it's a old hot rod trick. I doubt it does anything, but it wouldn't show when you put it all back together, so it couldn't hurt.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 AM
James Herne
Instructor

Painting a Porsche engine says you're not the Porsche guy. Buy a BMW. Porsche should be in the form and colors like it came from the factory.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Originally Posted by stolarzj
Since you got the intake off and the paint out.. I saw a Two Guys garage episode the other day, don't really put much weight into them since there big proponets of the tornado, and the episode was basically a commerical for Duplicolor. But they made a interesting comment, painting the underside of the intake with a high temp ceramic black paint to reduce the heat from the engine on the intake. Apparently it's a old hot rod trick. I doubt it does anything, but it wouldn't show when you put it all back together, so it couldn't hurt.
Is that show merely an info-mercial? Naaaaaah!

On the intake coating: American V8's set the intake manifold square on top of the engine, so a barrier coating on the bottom of the intake manifold helps keep the air charge cooler on its way to the ports. I think the effect would be really slight for a 968's intake manifold.

Matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say the only internal component of a 968 engine that would benefit from a thermal barrier coating would be the exhaust ports of the head, assuming you also have properly coated exhaust manifolds and/or header.

If you want to spend some worthwhile go-faster-money on the intake, find an Extrude Hone shop and have them go at it.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:53 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James Herne
Painting a Porsche engine says you're not the Porsche guy. Buy a BMW. Porsche should be in the form and colors like it came from the factory.
Yeah, heaven knows that things never change and stuff that is 15 years old is never outdated and never goes out of style. It's his car and he can do what he wishes with it, you of course are free to keep yours just the way it came from the factory and criticize anyone who mods their car.

I think it looks great and would love an updated picture of this year old thread that was resurrected by our self appointed Joan Rivers.

Quick Reply: Pictures of 968 Engine, before and after