968 Forum 1992-1995

Just bought my first 968

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 PM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first 968

I'd like to say I'm very excited about picking up my first 968 this week. It's a 94 cab in guards red with tan interior. It has a custom upgraded stereo with new speakers and headunit and a ton of new service work.

I'll post pics after I pick her up on Wednesday.

p.s. I'm looking for a nice catback exhaust for the vehicle if anyone knows where I can find one. Thanks.

MattyP
Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 PM
brakinglate
Racer

Congartulations, youll love it
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 AM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SuperMattyP
p.s. I'm looking for a nice catback exhaust for the vehicle if anyone knows where I can find one. Thanks.

MattyP
RSBarn makes a nice exhaust system for our car.
http://www.rsbarn.com/
Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The B and B exhaust is really nice, too.

Steve
Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powerhaus is what I have on mine, with the autothority chip set, and K & N, air filters...Powerhaus has a package put together for the cars.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

Links? The RSBarn exhaust without header is still almost a grand. I'm pretty sure my local exhaust shop could mandrel bend me a custom catback for under $500.

I plan on doing the airbox mod and getting the RSBarn chip. they claim the highest gains bu have no proof posted on the site.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Super, welcome to the 968 community. Steve went the same route as you and had his muffler shop build him a system. Not sure if he has before and after dyno's but everyone that has driven his car feels that the car is very strong. He also has a chip in his car, not sure what brand.
As far as chips, some of your other options are Promax, Speed6. There are plenty of options. I guess, do your research.
Good luck.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 07-08-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:09 AM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SuperMattyP
Links? The RSBarn exhaust without header is still almost a grand. I'm pretty sure my local exhaust shop could mandrel bend me a custom catback for under $500.

I plan on doing the airbox mod and getting the RSBarn chip. they claim the highest gains bu have no proof posted on the site.
Their catback is $699, if you don't replace the cat, which you really don't need to do unless you are going with new headers also. Just be carefull with building your own exhaust, this motor is a little finicky with the exhaust. If you don't get the back pressure just right you will be looking at a loss of power, usually in the low range.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can post some pics of my exhaust, and I am using the autothority chip and k & n drop it with the airbox mod, and I like the setup a lot. My head has a 3 angle valve job and is fairly fresh, so I'm sure that also has something to do with it!

Steve
Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Super, my suggestion for whatever its worth is to make sure your car is in tip top mechanical shape 1st. Too many people start going down the slippery slope of mods before they have a healthy engine in tip top shape.
The advantages to getting your engine in tip top shape is that it avoids any finger pointing or doubts if you don't get the desired results from your mods. Also, a healthy engine in good running condition itself will feel stronger. With our car's its easy to dig ourselves a hole if we run across any problems.
Check the belts, roller, ignition components. Check your cam chain and tensioner pads. Make sure everything is up to snuff and only then start thinking about mods.
Also, do your research, speak to people that have done the mods you are considering, see if you can get documented quantifiable gains. This way you eliminate any questions that might be asked if things don't go as expected.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 07-08-2007, 05:41 PM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

Good Points Raj, The vehicle I bought supposedly already has a fresh ignition system as well as belts and rollers including waterpump and timing belt replaced by the dealer recently. It appears to be in excellent condition from the pictures I've seen. The current owner is a porsche collector and has no more room in his garage for his new toy. This car appears to be immaculate and is the cruddy one in his fleet.

It must be nice....

I don't mind spending the money for a quality exhaust but if the gains don't justify the cost I'd just rather build my own. I was looking at their entire exhaust (header, testpipe and catback) and they only claim a 16hp gain. That's a hard pill to swallow for almost $1800.

I plan on getting a chip of some kind. I'll do more homework on those in the next few weeks. I'm going to do the airbox mod the minute I get the car and get it cooled off.

Can anyone verify that since this is a OBD1 car that I will not need a signal modifier on the O2 sensor to keep the car from throwing a CEL when/if I run a testpipe on it?

Thanks

Matty
Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Most aftermarket testpipes should have a bung for the O2 sensor so you should not have any problems with CEL.
Raj
Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenwz968
The B and B exhaust is really nice, too.

Steve
ditto on B&B.

I love my 968.

H2
Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome and good luck with your 968!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
SuperMattyP
Intermediate

I was supposed to have the car in hand on wednesday but plans changed. Now it looks like I won't even have a shot at picking it up until this weekend.

The previous owner says the stock cat has a rattle to it (probably grenaded on the inside) and suggested replacing it with a test pipe. I live in Alabama and that is no problem for me. The price is attractive and I'm assuming without a cat the exhaust tone will change into more of what I'm looking for. I'd like to do a catback but I'm afraid doing a test pipe AND catback would be way too obnoxious. Can anyone verify that for me? Anyone have any experience with that set-up?

I've also been searching for how-to's or FAQ's on pinion bearing upgrades and HCV upgrades. I don't believe either of these have been done on the car and I'm trying to get everything ready to roll for my first auto-x this year.

I'm also interested in information regarding the addition of an LSD to the car. I'm sure some local PCA guys can help with that though.

Sorry for so many questions but this forum isn't very "search friendly".

Quick Reply: Just bought my first 968