968 Forum 1992-1995

Good Source for Windshield Glass?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brianh
woundn't you know it... pulled into the glass shop & then noticed the new windshield had the built-in antenna, which is meant for cabs. What a let down.

Porsche dealer is trying to tell the glass shop that Porsche has discontinued the coupe glass and the cab (antenna) version is all that's available. That was never made clear when the glass was ordered & sounds like a crock... Anyway - there's an e-mail into Porsche NA to see if there's way to get couple glass.

Since insurance is covering it I'm not too concerned about price - so long as I get the right glass.
That is the truth, not crock. There are no more coupe windshields available, only cab versions.
Raj
Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
The 968 coupe windshield is different.
I think it is 4mm longer than the 944 glass.
Are you sure that's not the early or pre-airbag glass that's different?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/261968-glass-guy-here-and-windshield-doesn-t-fit-help.html

-Joel.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 AM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raj is correct - only cab glass with antenna available now. I had the new glass installed today and fits fine & looks great. So the part number I gave before is for the windshield with antenna (944-541-011-14), but fits the coupe. It is OEM Sekurit glass.

Here's a picture of the cracked windshield. Lower edge on passenger side, extending into center.

btw glass & installation was ~$800, $700 was the glass itself. Insurance classified it as "no fault" and I paid the deductable $200.

Now everything is cool!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

it is my belief that the Porsche 944 S2 glass will fit a 968, but not the earlier glass.

that's the info that was related to my by a local salvage yard. don't exactly know for sure.

Originally Posted by spieln
Bruce, Have you tried to get this glass lately? I just went through this and was told by the people in Ohio that they did not carry it anymore. The only place I could get it was from the dealer.

seems there was a unique opportunity to pick up some spare glass cheap. several years ago. that was then...

at present, Porsche is charging close to 900 dollars for replacement windshields....

anyway, we cut the windshield out of Gary's (EspritS4s) 968 parts car today.

if you know anyone who's ever done one of these, they'll tell you from personal experience your chance of breaking the windshield is very high.

so, here's a good plan if you wish to do one of these yourself;

first, i drilled a hole in the lower driver's side corner under the glass with a 1/8" bit to pass the wire through, and being extremely careful as to not touch the glass with the bit...... next, we pulled 100 lb standed cable (our cutting instrument) through the hole and we worked our way up.... first around the two driver's side corners, across the top and around to the passenger side to the bottom and around... stopping about 1/3 of the way across. this used up about 50 feet of the 100 lb. cable, breaking the stranded wire about 18 times in about 2 hours.

next we attached 5 long vertical strands of duct tape to the glass starting near the bottom and ran the tape back up over the roof to prevent the windshield from weighing down on small area epoxy still supporting the glass.... next, we put a tire on the passenger side of the windshield to keep any part of the glass from coming up as we reached near the end of the cut... and starting from the original hole we began cutting into the opposite direction.....

when we reached the lower center of the windshied.. we were now working in a secton of the glass that is more resistent to breaking.... and after breaking through to the other side, i gently lifted the glass off it's former resting place... we peeled back the duct tape and we were home.

one more key is to not try to cut too fast or you'll just be throwing away a good piece of glass.

btw, finally i have the oportunity to finish the new front valence... hopefully that will happen by the day after tomorrow.

;
Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Good info. Thanks.

BTW, factory rear deck glass is REALLY expensive. However, 951 glass (and frame) will fit but that doesn't have the same spoiler. Getting the 968 spoiler onto the 951 frame could be tricky. I've not tried it though.

H2
Old 07-02-2017, 08:34 AM
paredown
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow--I have not been on R-List for a couple of years (or so my login says)...

And I am reviving a long-dormant thread in search of answers/clarification.

Question: 968 Coupe Front Windshield

Are the Coupe and Cabrio windshields a different size, or is the difference only the installed antenna wire? (There is conflicting information here and on Pelican.)

Brian (in this thread) does not identify his car, but it sounds like he did get "cabrio' glass installed in a coupe.

Thoughts?

(I see some cabrio windshields on eBay (MA--may be the shop mentioned that stockpiled a few) and I am half-heartedly looking at a project 968 coupe that needs a new windshield)

Cheers,
Dean
Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Moparboy72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coupe and Cab windshields are different in size and shape/curvature. My '93 coupe had cab glass installed for some reason prior to my ownership; there were four beads stacked of windshield adhesive on the lower aperture and the upper corners of the windshield sat proud of the roof when installed. I fixed that mismatch the other year; I had picked up a new Sekurit windshield from Prosource Glass when they posted on Pelican a few years back. It may also be worth seeing if OE glass is around again.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Moparboy72. I have been wondering why the PO's installer that installed the windshield on my 968 coupe used so much adhesive. The windshield also has an integrated antenna despite there being an antenna on the roof. I have also noticed more wind noise while driving at speed than what I somehow expected. I guess these are all indications that a Cab windshield was installed rather than the correct coupe glass. So this will become another item on my list of things to fix in good time. I will keep my eye on this thread to see if anybody suggests a source for the correct windshield or offer one for sale.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

As you noted, aerial in windshield = Cab

Give Richard a shout @ Prosource Glass.

ProSource Glass international

Toll Free 877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
978-790-4657 Cell

www.prosourceglassintl.com

richardt@prosourceglassintl.com
Old 07-03-2017, 11:29 PM
paredown
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
As you noted, aerial in windshield = Cab

Give Richard a shout @ Prosource Glass.

ProSource Glass international

Toll Free 877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
978-790-4657 Cell

www.prosourceglassintl.com

richardt@prosourceglassintl.com
Just checked back--the eBay auction for Cab glass is Prosource:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-95-Pors...53.m1438.l2649
Old 07-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Jay. I will reach out to them.

Quick Reply: Good Source for Windshield Glass?