968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Turbo RS pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:46 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox944
I wouldnt know for a fact whats under the hood of the Yellow Turbo S/RS, niether would you. All besides the point anyway.

I would not call this a Replica either. It started life as an oem Turbo S. As it sits today, its a Turbo RS conversion based off 1 of 14 original Turbo S cars. No one is counting this as a 5th original RS. It is what it is. 1 of 14 Turbo S cars, and the only one (we know of) thats been converted to OEM Turbo RS spec and raced along side the Turbo RS cars (as proven by its log book).

Well I actually do know what's under that hood since I leant factory original turbo RS pistons to Pete, who sent them to JE to get copies made of.
Also, oem RS specs would include a matching turbo RS engine, running factory pieces, not JE pistons. It's been proven here that the original engine from that car now resides in someone else's garage (tomjshore).
Where is the factory welded cage if it was actually built by the factory? That is the basic element that sets an RS apart from an S. Is there any documentation to prove that this was done at the factory?
It's either an S or an RS. There is no such thing as a conversion.
Raj
Old 08-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldnt know for a fact whats under the hood of the Yellow Turbo S/RS, niether would you. All besides the point anyway.

I would not call this a Replica either. It started life as an oem Turbo S. As it sits today, its a Turbo RS conversion based off 1 of 14 original Turbo S cars. No one is counting this as a 5th original RS. It is what it is. 1 of 14 Turbo S cars, and the only one (we know of) thats been converted to OEM Turbo RS spec and raced along side the Turbo RS cars (as proven by its log book).

This we can agree upon, based on

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replica

I guess there is another word for it, replica would be too generous.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
People who say that are often trying to "sell" something for more than what it's worth.
+1.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Well I actually do know what's under that hood since I leant factory original turbo RS pistons to Pete, who sent them to JE to get copies made of.
Also, oem RS specs would include a matching turbo RS engine, running factory pieces, not JE pistons. It's been proven here that the original engine from that car now resides in someone else's garage (tomjshore).
Where is the factory welded cage if it was actually built by the factory? That is the basic element that sets an RS apart from an S. Is there any documentation to prove that this was done at the factory?
It's either an S or an RS. There is no such thing as a conversion.
Raj

1. Actually, it has not been proven. No one is 100% sure if that is fact. But it is reasonable to assume.
2. I dont recall anyone claiming the Turbo S was converted to Turbo RS spec by the factory. Perhaps you don't know or understand what a conversion is? This Turbo S was purchased and converted to Turbo RS spec and then raced along side Original Turbo RS cars.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
This we can agree upon, based on

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replica

I guess there is another word for it, replica would be too generous.
I never called it a Replica. You did. But if you want to argue semantics. Then one can argue that Turbo RS cars 2-4 are all replicas of the original.

I said it before, and i'll say it again. it's a Turbo S thats been converted toTurbo RS spec & raced along side the factory Turbo RS cars.

Is it original? Nope. Did the factory convert it? Nope. Is it 1 of 14 Turbo S cars and 1 of 18 factory Turbos? Yes. Is it the only Turbo RS conversion that was based off a Turbo S and raced along side the original RS cars? As far as we all know, Yes.

Now stop taking this off topic as usual and post up some more pics of Turbo RS cars.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

1. Actually, it has not been proven. No one is 100% sure if that is fact. But it is reasonable to assume.
2. I dont recall anyone claiming the Turbo S was converted to Turbo RS spec by the factory. Perhaps you don't know or understand what a conversion is? This Turbo S was purchased and converted to Turbo RS spec and then raced along side Original Turbo RS cars.
Why even bring the car up in this thread in the first place? The title is 'Turbo RS' pics, not 'Turbo RS and conversion pics'.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Why even bring the car up in this thread in the first place? The title is 'Turbo RS' pics, not 'Turbo RS and conversion pics'.
I brought up the car because i feel it should be brought up in threads about Turbo S or Turbo RS cars. It is significant imho, the fact that its been restored and is in the states makes it even more significant. Rather then complaining, you should appreciate it. While it is not 1 of 4 original RS cars, it is a very special car in its own right.

As a huge fan of 968's (and all front engine Porsche models in general) i am really happy that the race cars are all in great hands and all in such good condition today. I appreciate all of them for what they are, and there is no need to try and pass 1 car as something it is not. We all know exactly what each car is. And they are all unique in their own way. I may not be fond of you or your buddies per say, but as a 968 fan....i do appreciate your cars. Especially the white Turbo S replica...which is a very special car as well.

So rather then arguing semantics. Sit back, drink a beer and appreciate the special cars and the great condition they are in today (regardless of who owns them).
Old 08-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I brought up the car because i feel it should be brought up in threads about Turbo S or Turbo RS cars. It is significant imho, the fact that its been restored and is in the states makes it even more significant. Rather then complaining, you should appreciate it. While it is not 1 of 4 original RS cars, it is a very special car in its own right.

As a huge fan of 968's (and all front engine Porsche models in general) i am really happy that the race cars are all in great hands and all in such good condition today. I appreciate all of them for what they are, and there is no need to try and pass 1 car as something it is not. We all know exactly what each car is. And they are all unique in their own way. I may not be fond of you or your buddies per say, but as a 968 fan....i do appreciate your cars. Especially the white Turbo S replica...which is a very special car as well.

So rather then arguing semantics. Sit back, drink a beer and appreciate the special cars and the great condition they are in today (regardless of who owns them).

Gee, I wasn't the one who took it off topic-you did, by bringing this 'conversion' into the conversation about the genuine 4 factory Turbo RS's. It's not semantics, I'm just trying to keep everyone on point. When you started talking about 5 of these cars it's disinformation, that's all. As I said, I'd be glad to have that car in my garage, regardless how much of the original Turbo S content is still there. I wouldn't overpay for it, though.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

I did not take it off topic. You did. I simply mentioned i am really glad all 4 RS cars as well as the RS converted Turbo S are in great condition and in great hands. You decided to argue semantics.

You dont need to keep everyone on point, everyone is already on point. And its pretty clear that this car is not an original RS car and that there are only 4 originals.

When i talk about 5 cars, it isnt disinformation either. The 5th car is a none factory Turbo RS which started life as a factory Turbo S and was converted. You can call it a bastard step child of the RS cars if you will. It was raced along side these cars for crying out loud.

Either way....due to its prominent history, this car has a right to mentioned in any thread pertaining to Turbo S or Turbo RS cars. Mentioning it in the same breath as a Turbo S or Turbo RS is not going off topic...not by a long shot.

-Dino
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are all great.
+1 on the conversion being mentioned anytime S or RS comes up.

The debate is old with only a few who see the coversion
as a problem due to other factors.

I'll add some pics to this thread, I took a few more that I never
posted.

Anyone have pics of bubbles in action, or any of the cars from back
in the 90's?

Jason do you have any pics from your car from it's early history?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I did not take it off topic. You did. I simply mentioned i am really glad all 4 RS cars as well as the RS converted Turbo S are in great condition and in great hands. You decided to argue semantics.

You dont need to keep everyone on point, everyone is already on point. And its pretty clear that this car is not an original RS car and that there are only 4 originals.

When i talk about 5 cars, it isnt disinformation either. The 5th car is a none factory Turbo RS which started life as a factory Turbo S and was converted. You can call it a bastard step child of the RS cars if you will. It was raced along side these cars for crying out loud.

Either way....due to its prominent history, this car has a right to mentioned in any thread pertaining to Turbo S or Turbo RS cars. Mentioning it in the same breath as a Turbo S or Turbo RS is not going off topic...not by a long shot.

-Dino
The car apparently doesn't have a S or RS motor, we don't know about the tranny, and it doesn't have a factory cage. These are the major things that distinguish a S from a regular car, and a RS from an S. It may have raced against other RS's, (it's 'prominent history') but it doesn't have the components that were there in period any longer, so where does that put it? Is the value in the shell VIN? The correct original motor? The correct original trans? A Matter cage? How much would any of the proper RS's be without a correct/genuine motor, tranny, and cage? Could the guy who has the original motor put it into a coupe and call it an S? After all, it's an S motor . . .

Your first post about this appeared to tie the increased values of the genuine cars to the conversion. As far as we know they all haven't been hacked up and lost many of their original components. Indeed, they all seem very well taken care of, if not as original as Jason's. Yes, Jason, who said 'of the four his is probably the most original' emphasis 'of the four'.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I'm sure when the history of these cars is written the 'fifth' car won't get a mention with the RS's, only as a footnote to the S cars. Which is well and good.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Nobody here can say for a fact where the original motor is, or whether or not its in the car. You can only assume based on certain facts.

The car has a Turbo S VIN, and a ton of factory Turbo RS parts. It is a Turbo S that was Converted to RS spec and raced along side the RS cars.

Nobody trys to pawn this car off as an original RS.

My first post did not tie the increased value of the genuine cars to the conversion. Perhaps in your simpleton mind, it somehow did. I already explained why the car was mentioned, and why i will mention it anytime a Turbo S or Turbo RS thread pops up. It deserves mention.

I'll say it one more time for you. This car is 1 of 14 original Turbo S cars. It is 1 of 18 968's turbocharged by the factory. It is 1 of 1 known Turbo RS converted Turbo S cars, and was raced along side the original RS cars. Its a very special car indeed, more special then anyones car here (minus original Turbo RS cars).

ROFLMAO @ your when the history of these cars is written comment. The history is well documented and has been written long ago. The 5th car is not an original Turbo RS, and as such...wont be mentioned when documenting the 4 original Turbo RS cars.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Nobody here can say for a fact where the original motor is, or whether or not its in the car. You can only assume based on certain facts.

The car has a Turbo S VIN, and a ton of factory Turbo RS parts. It is a Turbo S that was Converted to RS spec and raced along side the RS cars.

Nobody trys to pawn this car off as an original RS.

My first post did not tie the increased value of the genuine cars to the conversion. Perhaps in your simpleton mind, it somehow did. I already explained why the car was mentioned, and why i will mention it anytime a Turbo S or Turbo RS thread pops up. It deserves mention.

I'll say it one more time for you. This car is 1 of 14 original Turbo S cars. It is 1 of 18 968's turbocharged by the factory. It is 1 of 1 known Turbo RS converted Turbo S cars, and was raced along side the original RS cars. Its a very special car indeed, more special then anyones car here (minus original Turbo RS cars).

ROFLMAO @ your when the history of these cars is written comment. The history is well documented and has been written long ago. The 5th car is not an original Turbo RS, and as such...wont be mentioned when documenting the 4 original Turbo RS cars.
I'll continue to laugh at your personal insults; 'simpleton' etc. I'm used to those type of distractions from people when they can't argue the facts. Been there, done that, it amuses me greatly.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

I'm glad i can amuse you.

p.s. i've stated only fact. You on the other hand attempt to pawn off hearsay as fact.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this crap going to go forever in 968 forums. Porsche built 4 968 turbo RS
4 cars.
Lots of replicas using lots of different parts, but there are only 4 RS's

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo RS pics