968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Turbo RS pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fox944
amazing, the value (or what people are willing to pay for these rare birds) has almost tripled in the last 10 years.

I'm glad all 5 cars (the 4 original Turbo RS cars as well as the Turbo RS Conversion which was originally a Turbo S) have been restored and are all in great shape.

There are not 'all 5 cars'. There are 4. We don't know how many replicas are out there. By this logic, are you going to count all the replica S cars made from standard coupes? I'd say the value of a replica RS made from an S to be drastically lower, in the same way a replica S is worth less than a genuine S. Of course, some are better than others as far as genuine/original parts used in the upgrade. A car without its original motor, for instance, would also drive down the value.

And do you know if all the four genuine cars have been restored? Jason, has yours?

Last edited by Damian in NJ; 08-20-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No need for restoration. I'd say mine is the most original of the 4. It still has sealed anti-tamper wires in
different spots to prevent "tuning"..something I'm sure the ADAC series mandated. The only mods are a passenger seat and seat back braces.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
No need for restoration. I'd say mine is the most original of the 4. It still has sealed anti-tamper wires in
different spots to prevent "tuning"..something I'm sure the ADAC series mandated. The only mods are a passenger seat and seat back braces.

Jason, thanks so much.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Jason, thanks so much.
+2

Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Jason, curious which door trim you have, 968 style with the rounded top, or 944style (like the 968CS).I noticed on 'bubbles' that is has 968 door trim.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:43 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks??
Old 08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
Thanks??
Yes, someone earlier claimed all the 4 genuine RS's have been restored. That was incorrect, so it was 'thank you for letting us know that claim was wrong.'
Old 08-21-2009, 01:58 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, kudos...
Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are not 'all 5 cars'. There are 4. We don't know how many replicas are out there. By this logic, are you going to count all the replica S cars made from standard coupes? I'd say the value of a replica RS made from an S to be drastically lower, in the same way a replica S is worth less than a genuine S. Of course, some are better than others as far as genuine/original parts used in the upgrade. A car without its original motor, for instance, would also drive down the value.

And do you know if all the four genuine cars have been restored? Jason, has yours?
Correct. 4 original Turbo RS cars. And 1 Turbo S that was converted to OEM RS Spec. So 5 968's that were Turbocharged from the factory and raced. If you know of another factory Turbo car that was converted to RS spec and raced along with the original RS cars, please enlighten us and share your knowledge.

I assume all have been restored, based on the fact that they are all very clean in the pictures. All of them have been raced and must have been restored to look so clean. Restoration may have involved a ton of work, or hardly any work (new graphics to rid scuffs and road rash for example). The point is (which seems to have gone over your head as with most things), they are all preserved today.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Correct. 4 original Turbo RS cars. And 1 Turbo S that was converted to OEM RS Spec. So 5 968's that were Turbocharged from the factory and raced. If you know of another factory Turbo car that was converted to RS spec and raced along with the original RS cars, please enlighten us and share your knowledge.
I'm not sure what your point is but a 968 turbo S that was converted to RS spec will neither have the value of an original S or RS, even if done by the factory.
Still a very desirable car, but not as desirable as an original car, at least in my book.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thom
I'm not sure what your point is but a 968 turbo S that was converted to RS spec will neither have the value of an original S or RS, even if done by the factory.
Still a very desirable car, but not as desirable as an original car, at least in my book.
My point was made in the original post damian quoted. I'm very glad all these cars are preserved and in great condition/hands today.

All of these cars are worth what people are willing to pay for them, as with anything. And i don't think anyone would pay more for a Turbo S (thats been converted to O.E.M. Turbo RS spec) then they would for a Turbo RS. Heck, no one would pay an amount equal to what they would pay for one of the 4 originals either. But agian, thats besides the point.

I'm glad all these cars have found good homes and have either been partially or fully restored or preserved in as close to their original state as possible. I'm glad they are all in the right hands and in great condition today.

Personally; if i could have any of them, i'm partial to "bubbles" and would pay more for bubbles then i would for the other cars. Which just goes to show, they are all worth what someone is willing to pay for them and i value the black car higher then the others, even though most would value jasons car higher (being the last OE RS VIN and the closest to its original state).
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

And isn't the original Turbo S motor from the S/replica RS in another car in NJ? So what motor is in the S/replica RS? Aren't the pistons in that motor US made copies of the Turbo RS pistons? Is it a OEM Turbo S or RS block? The head, is it original Turbo S or RS? Tranny?

I'm thrilled people are interested in these models, but trying to count the replica RS as the fifth of four is disengenous.

I'm sure it's a very nice car, and I'd love to own it, but it is what it is, and not what it isn't.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

All of these cars are worth what people are willing to pay for them, as with anything.
People who say that are often trying to "sell" something for more than what it's worth.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

And isn't the original Turbo S motor from the S/replica RS in another car in NJ? So what motor is in the S/replica RS? Aren't the pistons in that motor US made copies of the Turbo RS pistons? Is it a OEM Turbo S or RS block? The head, is it original Turbo S or RS? Tranny?

I'm thrilled people are interested in these models, but trying to count the replica RS as the fifth of four is disengenous.

I'm sure it's a very nice car, and I'd love to own it, but it is what it is, and not what it isn't.
I wouldnt know for a fact whats under the hood of the Yellow Turbo S/RS, niether would you. All besides the point anyway.

I would not call this a Replica either. It started life as an oem Turbo S. As it sits today, its a Turbo RS conversion based off 1 of 14 original Turbo S cars. No one is counting this as a 5th original RS. It is what it is. 1 of 14 Turbo S cars, and the only one (we know of) thats been converted to OEM Turbo RS spec and raced along side the Turbo RS cars (as proven by its log book).

Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

People who say that are often trying to "sell" something for more than what it's worth.
You are correct. As with anything; they are only worth what people are willing to pay. Many times, the market for said items are driven up because of it. Take for example Clean E30 M3's. I bought mine for 10grand and sold it 2 years later for 12.5grand. Today i'd be hard pressed to find one for less then 22grand in the same condition mine was in. Is it over priced? Yes without a doubt. But if i want one, i'm forced to pay the price, otherwise i wont be getting one. Some people would think i'm an idiot spending 22grand for a 1990 M3 with 195HP, the same way people thought me and a couple others were idiots arguing with them that Turbo S & Turbo RS cars were worth the asking price (on a general car forum).

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo RS pics