968 Forum 1992-1995

Gear Shift Knob Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear Shift **** Vibration

Why does my gear shift **** vibrate is that just the way it is or is my transmission mount bad? Thanks Charles
Old 04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Charles, I have never heard of a 968 transmission mount go bad, atleast in street applications. Chances are, its something in the linkage has either worn or is broken. Did you check for play in the shifter? The ball is held by plastic pieces.
Same goes for the rear linkage. Is the bolt that holds the linkage to the rod the correct part? I have seen people use just a standard bolt and that wont do it, it needs to have a pointy tip to it.
I would start with shifter and go from there.
Raj
Old 04-02-2007, 08:06 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it vibrate all the time or at particular rpms? - any vibrations occuring around 3000rpm and you should check balance shaft timing (sorry, its my paranoia after losing an engine)
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Raj is correct about those plastic parts at the bottom of the shifter which will fail after some time. Try lifting the shifter straight up - don't worry, it won't come off in your hand as it's held down by the shift boot. But, if you can pull it up, then the plastic part(s) at the bottom of the shift lever have cracked.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether you can replace just the broken part(s) or if you'll need the entire shifter (comes with a leather boot).

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:51 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

the plastic socket at the bottom of the shift is available as a seperate part
Old 04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
flash968
Banned

the parts at the shift lever are easy to replace (though there is a trick to the install) - the lower delrin bushing is about $2.40 - the little ones on the side are about the same
Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 AM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

I just installed a new leather shift boot and to say the least not an easy chore getting it over the *** but while in the process of installing it I had to push and pull and when I pull the whole thing including the shaft would come up about 4 to 5 inches I thought that was kind of odd but didn't pay any attention to it but now I know it should not do that. Any problem if I do not fix it and deal with the vibration but little things like that really anoy me so I am sure I will have it fixed real soon. Can anyone tell me the part or parts I would need for the fix and the trick that flashtalks about. I think it is time to show you my new 968 so here it is( I will get some better pics for you all soon). Thanks you guys are the greatest its nice to know whats wrong before I take it in Charles

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc00010_copy8.jpg
Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 AM
flash968
Banned

the part number for the lower bushing is 944.424.231.01
the part number for the side bushings is 999.924.002.40 (you need 2)

the trick is pretty simple really - after removing the shifter (and i am not talking about the shift **** and boot, but the shifter itself) using a really heavy grease (not something light like white lithium), dab a glob of it on the ball of the shifter, and a bit in the cup of the new bushing (this is to act like more of a shock absorber than a lubricant) then set the ball into the new bushing, setting that on top of a phone book or block of wood - push straight down hard and smooth - if that fails to seat the ball, you can tap on it with a rubber mallet - do not use a hammer - take care on how hard you hit it - bottoming out hard will crack the new bushing - i did that twice before figuring out the trick
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

Thanks Flash I appreciate the info more than you know! Charles
Old 04-03-2007, 02:35 PM
flash968
Banned

no worries - happy to help
Old 12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine 968 is also having this gear shift know shake, especially when running with constant speed, especially in lower speeds (In higher speeds the engine has to keep up with the drag generated).

I thought first it might be caused because of problems in fuel delivery, so I maintaned the injectors, plugs, and lambda). the engine now revs better, and more torque + hp gained (closer to original numbers I guess), which has made me more happy with the great car and engine, but the gear shift know shake is still there. The gear shift know isn't really a problem, but in low constant speeds the car feels to "jerk" abit, which is annoying.

I think it has something to do with worn engine / transmission mounts, which I will get checked in few weeks.

1. is there any other suggestions from where this not smooth running might be caused, if not engine / transmission mounts?
2. What kind of mounts should I start searching for, which would be best? or are originals good enough? I'm using car generally for street use, but would like to find the best equip. available, to make most of my porsche.

and, happy christmastime for everybody!!
Here in finland we got snow eventually.. sometimes this greenhouse effect is annoying, the snow we usually got here comes later and later..
Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use factory engine mounts. They are more robust then the aftermarket mounts. When was the balance and timing belts last done?
Your balance shaft belt could have jumped a couple teeth.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:24 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Merry Christmas to you Matti!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:27 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

If your engine skips a tooth on the balance shaft belt, trust me, you would know. The engine would become very lethargic to rev and would feel like crap. If the problem is only at idle, I would think your motor mounts are the 1st place to look.
Stick to factory mounts or else you will waste your $$.
Raj
Old 12-24-2007, 04:57 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the comments. The engine revs softly and well, so I don' think balance shafts are a problem. I'll get the engine mounts checked, wouldn't be so amazed if they're already worn out after being propably there for 15 years.

Quick Reply: Gear Shift Knob Vibration